Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
A young Great Horned Owl(previously posted in a tree) who decided to leave the nest early was doing its best turkey impersonation to fend off an impending capture for relocation.
SL32007-4K.jpg

R5 RF600 f/4L IS 1/640 : f/8 : ISO 320

And about a week later, climbing/hopping up a different tree to join a sibling returned by a rescue outfit.
SL32019-4K.jpg

R5 RF600 f/4L IS w/1.4x 1/100 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000
My :ROFLMAO: is for the first photo off course!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Your comment resembles what Jack D. posted some years ago: "Just imagine what we will do with the birds that ISv has!" - I don't remember the exact wording but the content is the same. My answer (in my mind - I didn't posted it!) was " you will do as good as with the available birds: some times very good, sometimes not that much and sometimes straight bad! If you are smart enough you will post only the good, if you are like me you will post what you have...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Your comment resembles what Jack D. posted some years ago: "Just imagine what we will do with the birds that ISv has!" - I don't remember the exact wording but the content is the same. My answer (in my mind - I didn't posted it!) was " you will do as good as with the available birds: some times very good, sometimes not that much and sometimes straight bad! If you are smart enough you will post only the good, if you are like me you will post what you have...
The thrust of my comment is quite different - I just want to see and hear them, the photos are a bonus.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Yesterday: botanical garden. Didn't expect any interesting bird. Looking for a better angle to shoot some Abutilon I almost crashed into family of Gray Francolin! I wouldn't post the photo if not the story! Nearly ~5 meters from me two birds were spooked and did fly in opposite directions. I concentrated on the one that made short fly (~5 meters?) and made an U-turn with false attack!!! At that moment I was sure there are chicks around! Look at the beautiful background and a bird almost exceeding the frame - didn't have any better opportunity!
In my anger I did shoot also an innocent Red-whiskered Bulbu:oops:l!

Very nice shots, ISv. I especially like the second one. Well done, Sir!

Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
It was a parody of Louis Pasteur's "Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparés". (In the fields of observation chance favours only the prepared mind).
Well, in this case I have to say "Luck favours the people who go to Hawaii (as you were intending last year ;) but changed your mind)!

Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice shots, ISv. I especially like the second one. Well done, Sir!
Thanks Click! I don't like the photo of the Francolin: the background is total mess it looks like a trash-site. The bird is too close for 500mm lens and is not sharp enough to me (here I wonder if the hot day and the bird on the ground is not the reason. On other hand I got sharper photos of the Small Indian mongoose, just ~an hour later, also on the ground. So, most probably the reason is the guy behind the camera:mad: - I will pretend it wasn't me;)).

Last edited:
Upvote 0