Shutter shock on the R7

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There is discussion in various forums about shutter shock with Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFCS) with the R7. I have been following this and have done careful tests of my own with charts and would like to sum up the situation. Shutter shock can occur when any shutter is opened mechanically and it causes a vibration, independent of whether the camera is mirrorless or a conventional DSLR, unlike mirror slap that can't occur for mirrorless. EFCS is designed to avoid this as the shutter opens electronically and closes mechanically, after exposure. But, it has been noted with the R7 in its high speed 15 fps drive for EFCS that the first shot is fine but that there is shutter shock for the subsequent shots. This appears to be because the shock of closing can vibrate the following shot. This doesn't happen for all lenses, the adapted EF 100-400mm II, for example, has been reported to be immune.

I have tested the RF 100-400mm, RF 100-500mm and RF 800mm f/11. In H+ mode of 15 fps with EFCS and mechanical shutter, there is noticeable shutter shock at lower shutter speeds that is nearly gone by 1/250s and completely absent at 1/400s. Electronic shutter has zero shutter shock as expected. In the H mode of 8 fps for EFCS, I couldn't see shutter shock at 1/60 s.

So the take home message is: avoid H+ mode for EFCS at /250s or slower and all mechanical modes at 1/250s or slower. Also, the R7 does have bad rolling shutter with ES, so avoid that when wings are flapping fast or panning fast against vertical lines. But, the R7 has a good variety of drive modes, the H+ mode is 30 fps for ES and 15 fps for MS and EFCS, the H is 15fps for ES, 8 for EFCS and 6.5 for for MS, and low continuous is 3 fps for all three modes, and so we have lots of choice for different situations. I leave the camera in low speed continuous ES for static shots, H+ ES for BIF and H+ EFCS for insects in flight etc where rolling shutter can be a disaster.

Reactions: 10 users

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

So the take home message is: avoid H+ mode for EFCS at /250s or slower and all mechanical modes at 1/250s or slower. Also, the R7 does have bad rolling shutter with ES, so avoid that when wings are flapping fast or panning fast against vertical lines. But, the R7 has a good variety of drive modes, the H+ mode is 30 fps for ES and 15 fps for MS and EFCS, the H is 15fps for ES, 8 for EFCS and 6.5 for for MS, and low continuous is 3 fps for all three modes, and so we have lots of choice for different situations. I leave the camera in low speed continuous ES for static shots, H+ ES for BIF and H+ EFCS for insects in flight etc where rolling shutter can be a disaster.

The results sound similar to the EOS M shutter shock issues we discussed some time back, but with an added wrinkle for the high speed shutter. I particularly like your final recommendations for drive modes based on shutter mode.

It kind of begs the question - do similar things happen on the R5 or R6? Or is it strictly an issue for the crop bodies with less mass like the M series and R7/R10 and lighter lenses?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The results sound similar to the EOS M shutter shock issues we discussed some time back, but with an added wrinkle for the high speed shutter. I particularly like your final recommendations for drive modes based on shutter mode.

It kind of begs the question - do similar things happen on the R5 or R6? Or is it strictly an issue for the crop bodies with less mass like the M series and R7/R10 and lighter lenses?
I can see shutter shock on my R5 as well, even with EFCS, but it's not as dramatic compared to an M6II (no EFCS) and also less compared to an R. But I'm mostly using electronic shutter on my R5 or EFCS + flash at 1/250th, which are both safe.

On the R5 with EFCS I have a hard time deciding if it's me or shuttershock when the resulting picture is a bit blurry :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can see shutter shock on my R5 as well, even with EFCS, but it's not as dramatic compared to an M6II (no EFCS) and also less compared to an R. But I'm mostly using electronic shutter on my R5 or EFCS + flash at 1/250th, which are both safe.

On the R5 with EFCS I have a hard time deciding if it's me or shuttershock when the resulting picture is a bit blurry :)
If the R5 had a range of fps in ES 20 like the R7 I would probably use it just about all the time. The fixed 20 fps on the R5 is a real negative. I think Nikon got it right by having only ES on the Z9, a bit like Apple getting rid of internal floppy disk drives from their laptops in 1998. However, we'll need R3 level stacked sensors on the R5 and R7 successors for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Mirrorless-life is getting increasingly complicated...gimme my Leicaflex SL or Nikon F2 back!;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mirrorless-life is getting increasingly complicated...gimme my Leicaflex SL or Nikon F2 back!;)
Shuttershock/mirror slap on my Nikon D850 and D500 were so bad that I'd try and shoot at 1/1000s or faster. There was shock-slap on all of my Canon bodies at low shutter speeds, even with the 5DSR in its quieter mode. Mind you, I used to enjoy getting the AFMA spot on and was very quick at it!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Shutter shock seems to have become an issue when cameras with focal plane shutters moved from silk horizontally running shutters to vertical metal ones, so around mid ‘70s. The metal vertical shutters allowed for faster flash sync due to the reduced travel distance compared with horizontal, and it’s interesting that the ‘professional’ models of the time (think Nikon F2/3, Canon F1) stayed with horizontal despite the handicap of a much slower flash sync speed. I don’t ever remember discussions of shutter shock, the general belief was always that the mirror was the culprit, but in hind sight it’s quite clear to me now that the metal shutters were the actual problem, the mirror, at least on a quality camera, was secondary. Looking back on my old images, those taken on my F3 (silk horizontal shutter) were generally sharper than those taken on my FM (early metal vertical shutter). It’s taken me forty years to discover the reason. So shutter shock isn’t a problem that’s just become noticeable with high res digital.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I wish my old Konicas had the opportunity for this kind of shutter shock. Their Copal shutters would randomly have the curtains reopen while advancing the film. That ruined several (hopefully) great photos.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I wish my old Konicas had the opportunity for this kind of shutter shock. Their Copal shutters would randomly have the curtains reopen while advancing the film. That ruined several (hopefully) great photos.
This was Konica’s way of reminding you that you hadn’t stumped up the cash for a Nikon :censored: ;)

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
This was Konica’s way of reminding you that you hadn’t stumped up the cash for a Nikon :censored: ;)
Yep. Konica had a way of tapping me on the shoulder about that. Even with the newer FS-1 (built-in auto winder!) they left a small strip of unpainted metal at the bottom of the shutter housing. That caused a very specific horizontal line of flare on film. I painted it black myself.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I can tell you right now, the R7 is great for beginners, amateurs, and enthusiasts - and is priced accordingly. But I find the camera to be far too flawed and deliberately limited to keep it in my bag. It's one of the most frustrating cameras I have ever used. The shutter shock is horrible. Canon releasing a mechanical shutter this bad is embarrassing, considering that Fujifilm matches the 15fps and sounds whisper quiet. Don't even get me started on the rolling shutter...

I am a HUGE Canon user, but I really love my Fujifilm gear that I use for recreational photography. I've seen far too many people claim the R7 is an X-T4 slayer and that couldn't be further from the truth. The X-T4 and the X-S10 are superior in every way you can imagine.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can tell you right now, the R7 is great for beginners, amateurs, and enthusiasts - and is priced accordingly. But I find the camera to be far too flawed and deliberately limited to keep it in my bag. It's one of the most frustrating cameras I have ever used. The shutter shock is horrible. Canon releasing a mechanical shutter this bad is embarrassing, considering that Fujifilm matches the 15fps and sounds whisper quiet. Don't even get me started on the rolling shutter...

I am a HUGE Canon user, but I really love my Fujifilm gear that I use for recreational photography. I've seen far too many people claim the R7 is an X-T4 slayer and that couldn't be further from the truth. The X-T4 and the X-S10 are superior in every way you can imagine.
Use it within its limitations and it's great, maybe not for you, though. The shutter shock is not a problem as you can choose electronic shutter for low speeds, and the level of detail it gets for long range nature shots beats the pants off any other mirrorless - I got shots with it this week combined with the RF800 f/11 (posted in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/ye-bee-eaters-of-merrie-england.41632/) that would have required an R3 with an RF 1200mm f/8. OK, that's not your thing for real estate, commercial and motor sports. As for "The X-T4 and the X-S10 are superior in every way you can imagine", they don't have animal eyeAF, the AF of the R7, its pixel density or the Canon range of telephoto lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States

LSX: Your photos speak for themselves; generally speaking they are something I can aspire to.

I think I paid attention to some of your previous posts on CR a few weeks/months ago that dealt with this general topic (your jones for Fujifilm gear)...and poked around the usual places on the 'net for news, view and reviews about Fujifilm gear: there's an army of you folks out there! Some of whom are quite passionate about rejecting Nikon/Canon and forging their own path gear-wise...

I get that. I checked on prices then...and now I've checked prices again--your recreational Fuji gear list comes to $8.5K + tax at a major NYC retailer.

For the 'small-and-light' system, I chose Canon's M format about a decade ago...and I've never looked back (yikes!).

For sure, what I know is there's been a lot of value in various Ms and various EF-M lenses...and there still is. Sometimes I think that a primary reason that Canon appears to be doing away with (at least) the higher-end Ms...is that they can charge more for more-or-less-the-same electronics stuffed inside a full-sized R mount camera...shrink the sensor size...and call it entry level R. The M gear was always reasonably priced.

So while there was a significant Fujifilm price premium (vs M etc)...that premium has diminished in size with the introduction of everything R.

Maybe next time I'll look at Fuji again for small-and-light (and weathersealed);)

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Use it within its limitations and it's great, maybe not for you, though. The shutter shock is not a problem as you can choose electronic shutter for low speeds, and the level of detail it gets for long range nature shots beats the pants off any other mirrorless - I got shots with it this week combined with the RF800 f/11 (posted in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/ye-bee-eaters-of-merrie-england.41632/) that would have required an R3 with an RF 1200mm f/8. OK, that's not your thing for real estate, commercial and motor sports. As for "The X-T4 and the X-S10 are superior in every way you can imagine", they don't have animal eyeAF, the AF of the R7, its pixel density or the Canon range of telephoto lenses.
You are absolutely correct. I was totally wrong in my statement there because the Canon autofocus is in an entirely different playing field and it's my deepest criticism for Fuji as a whole. I'm personally very disappointed that Canon didn't spend a little more R&D money to develop a new sensor with a faster read out speed that could at least put it on par with the likes of the X-T4's BSI sensor from 2019. The new X-H2S has a substantial improvement in AF performance, but it's still not as user friendly or customizable as what you get with Canon.

We were provided a small camera with questionable ergonomic changes, no option for a battery grip, one less control dial, a slow sensor readout, and a clunky mechanical shutter experience. It would have been my dream to see an R6/R5 body with a new high-resolution APS-C sensor that could join the fleet. But now that I have it, I'm torn by the excellent images I've gotten, as well as the incredible frustrations I've had with it in the field. I would love to keep the camera just for the fact it shoots better video than my R6, but I still don't know what to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
LSX: Your photos speak for themselves; generally speaking they are something I can aspire to.

I think I paid attention to some of your previous posts on CR a few weeks/months ago that dealt with this general topic (your jones for Fujifilm gear)...and poked around the usual places on the 'net for news, view and reviews about Fujifilm gear: there's an army of you folks out there! Some of whom are quite passionate about rejecting Nikon/Canon and forging their own path gear-wise...

I get that. I checked on prices then...and now I've checked prices again--your recreational Fuji gear list comes to $8.5K + tax at a major NYC retailer.

For the 'small-and-light' system, I chose Canon's M format about a decade ago...and I've never looked back (yikes!).

For sure, what I know is there's been a lot of value in various Ms and various EF-M lenses...and there still is. Sometimes I think that a primary reason that Canon appears to be doing away with (at least) the higher-end Ms...is that they can charge more for more-or-less-the-same electronics stuffed inside a full-sized R mount camera...shrink the sensor size...and call it entry level R. The M gear was always reasonably priced.

So while there was a significant Fujifilm price premium (vs M etc)...that premium has diminished in size with the introduction of everything R.

Maybe next time I'll look at Fuji again for small-and-light (and weathersealed);)
Thank you very much. Yeah, some of the Fuji loyalists are...interesting. I love the cameras, but I can very clearly acknowledge their shortcoming and, as you identified, high price. They price themselves in between typical APS-C and full-frame...so it was very difficult to even make the jump. My wife helped facilitate the switch as a birthday by getting me an X-E4 kit. At that point I began to sell off all my EOS-M stuff that I had accumulated since the launch of the M5 and was able to fund the jump into Fujifilm that way.

But, as I feared, it became a quest to build the perfect camera kit - which I believe I have done now. Mind you, I only bought the X-T30II new by selling the X-E4 and all but 2 lenses were purchased used through Facebook marketplace, MPB, or KEH. The X-T4 was used at a good price and the X-100V I found in my city for a total STEAL of a deal (its my most used Fuji camera and I never leave it at home) My current plan is to streamline the Fuji kit because I have more than I originally set out for. But keep in mind that I'm a total loser that does nothing but capture and edit photos and I consider it a vacation from my job as a photographer to travel with my wife and dog to capture and edit more photos. LOL

Upvote 0