Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART vs Canon 50mm f/1.2 - Quick Comparison Photos

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Again...thanks for the posts. Very interesting and helpful. I agree, the differences in this set range from very minor to imperceptible. I can see a few instances were I like the bokeh better with the 50L, but others where I like the sharpness and detail of 50A. But, for the most part, the images are extremely similar. With Viggo coming around to trusting the AF..... :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to do the comparisons. It is interesting that the color differences are much closer in the RAW comparisons. It is possible that the lack of a specific lens profile for the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART affected the color rendition in Lightroom? I definitely prefer more neutral colors of the 1.2L compared to the Sigma . I was leaning towards the 1.2L but after seeing the RAW comparisons , I'm not so sure anymore.

It would be great if you can experiment with portraits. It would be interesting to see the differences in skin tones between the lenses.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your continued contributions to the Sigma v Canon debate :) I'm glad these shots are closer to each other and the Tivo LEDs now match in size, so that and some of the other details make this more useful.

Now that you've had both lenses together for a little while, can you comment on the ergonomics of using them? I realize this is a lot more subjective, but how does the Sigma's weight and balance (front or back heavy, balanced?) feel in hand? Which one is more enjoyable to use? If the IQ was exactly the same, which one would you prefer?

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
mackguyver said:
Thank you for your continued contributions to the Sigma v Canon debate :) I'm glad these shots are closer to each other and the Tivo LEDs now match in size, so that and some of the other details make this more useful.

Now that you've had both lenses together for a little while, can you comment on the ergonomics of using them? I realize this is a lot more subjective, but how does the Sigma's weight and balance (front or back heavy, balanced?) feel in hand? Which one is more enjoyable to use? If the IQ was exactly the same, which one would you prefer?

I read somewhere that if you want to manual focus the lens that the Sigma is a JOY to use and that the Canon handled like "a greased pig". Which would you rather hold?? I am guessing that the focus on the Canon (I have never used one), is like the manual focus on my 85L. It makes me nervous to even hold the lens (I do love that lens)..because the focus ring just spins...there is no damping....if the Sigma is like my Sigma 35...it would be MUCH more stable in the hand for general use compared to the Canon, no?

Upvote 0
infared said:
mackguyver said:

I read somewhere that if you want to manual focus the lens that the Sigma is a JOY to use and that the Canon handled like "a greased pig". Which would you rather hold?? I am guessing that the focus on the Canon (I have never used one), is like the manual focus on my 85L. It makes me nervous to even hold the lens (I do love that lens)..because the focus ring just spins...there is no damping....if the Sigma is like my Sigma 35...it would be MUCH more stable in the hand for general use compared to the Canon, no?
I saw that, too (here), but I think "greased pig" might be a bit hyperbolic (as is Roger's style), because that would mean that nearly all L lenses are greased pigs. The 85L with it's focus-by-wire does suck (I don't fool with it all and actually disable it in my 5DIII and 1D X), but the 50L is a mechanical focus just like the 24-70, 70-200, etc. The TS-E lenses and 180L macro have smoother focus mechanisms than most Canon's, but none of them match Zeiss or other "fine" lenses. I was asking Jason for his opinion because he's not a silly guy like Roger (who's stuff I like, btw).

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:

In terms of ergonomics only, I would chose the Sigma for more action kind of photography - feels much more rugged and gives you more to work with. The Canon maybe for portraits or stealthy street stuff, since it is really short. Overall I prefer the ergonomics of the Sigma, but I don't mind big/heavy lenses (not that it is really, just compared to the Canon). Probably my two all-time favorite lenses are the Canon 70-200 2.8 II (and obviously that is a big and heavy lens) and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. So I don't really have a brand bias. For me it's matching what a lens can do for the kind if photography I do.

Jason

Upvote 0
rocksubculture said:
mackguyver said:

In terms of ergonomics only, I would chose the Sigma for more action kind of photography - feels much more rugged and gives you more to work with. The Canon maybe for portraits or stealthy street stuff, since it is really short. Overall I prefer the ergonomics of the Sigma, but I don't mind big/heavy lenses (not that it is really, just compared to the Canon). Probably my two all-time favorite lenses are the Canon 70-200 2.8 II (and obviously that is a big and heavy lens) and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. So I don't really have a brand bias. For me it's matching what a lens can do for the kind if photography I do.

Jason
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I guess I owe it to myself to check out the Sigma.

Upvote 0