Sigma Warns of Lens Aberration Correction Bug with Select Sigma Lenses and Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EOS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
As with <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/how-to-fix-weird-visual-behaviour-with-pairing-the-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-sigma-lenses/">most new Canon DSLR releases</a>, there are some third party lenses that may present the odd vignette when “Lens Aberration Correction” is turned on with various Canon DSLRs.</p>
<p><strong>From Sigma:

</strong>We have found that some SIGMA interchangeable lenses for CANON are not fully compatible with CANON EOS 6D Mark II released on August 4th, as well as EOS 9000D (77D), EOS Kiss X9i (Rebel T7i) and EOS Kiss X9 (Rebel SL2).</p>
<p>When certain lenses are attached to these cameras and the “Lens aberration correction” function on these cameras is set to “Enable” for Live View shooting, an error would occur.</p>
<p>Please set the “Lens aberration correction” function of the cameras to “Disable” when using SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses for CANON.</p>
<p>In addition, please also refer to other notice below, related to the usage of EOS mount SIGMA lenses on Canon cameras.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>

<p><b>Phenomenon

</b>When the lenses listed below are used on EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 9000D, EOS Kiss X9i, or EOS Kiss X9 and the “Lens aberration correction” function on the camera is set to “Enable” for Live View shooting, an error would occur.</p>
<p><b>Products Affected</b></p>
<ul>
<li>SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | Art</li>
<li>SIGMA 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM</li>
<li>SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art</li>
<li>SIGMA 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM</li>
<li>SIGMA 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM</li>
</ul>
<p><b>Usage Notice for customers who are using EOS mount SIGMA lenses on CANON cameras

</b>When using the SIGMA lenses for CANON, “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction”, “Diffraction correction” as well as “Distortion correction” from the “Lens aberration correction” function of the camera are not supported. Therefore, we recommend you to set them to “Disable”.</p>
<p>If those functions are set to “Enable”, the performance of the lenses may not be accurate.</p>
<p>For further information, please contact your nearest authorized <a href="http://www.sigma-global.com/en/about/world-network/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener">SIGMA subsidiary / distributor</a>.</p>
<p>We appreciate your continued support for our company and products.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Re: Sigma Warns of Lens Aberration Correction Bug with Select Sigma Lenses and Canon EOS 6D Mark II,

The day before yesterday I bought a 35mm 1,4 Art lens. I use it on the 5D MK IV. At home I thought first it's broken, because it showed circles and rings with sharp edges in the preview of the raws in camera (I dont store jpg). Googeling that problem brought no results! After I phoned with the store they told me to switch off all lens corrections. After that the circles and rings went away. I wish that would be clearer explained somehow. If I buy a sigma for the canon bayonett I would not be upset if at first there would be a note in the box for paying attention to lens corrections on canon cameras.
Greets,
frankie

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Re: Sigma Warns of Lens Aberration Correction Bug with Select Sigma Lenses and Canon EOS 6D Mark II,

Hi,
Did Sigma actually mention this is a bug?? Because it isn't... it work as advertised, but not with lens that "impersonate" as a Canon lens.

By the way, I just wonder is there any Sigma lens that is compatible with Canon "Lens Aberration Correction" function?

May be Sigma should use those lens code that Canon don't provide correction data for it, so no correction will be applied when the feature is turn on.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight

Hi weixing.
My understanding is that Sigma (and other 3rd party manufacturers?) use a code for a lens (not necessarily in the same focal length range?) that has similar drive requirements for the AF and IS systems so that the camera drives these systems at the desired rates?
Using an unallocated number might result in the body identifying the lens as "no lens attached" or even worse, driving the focus system in to the end of the travel at full speed due to not having any parameters set?
I'm not certain of any of this hence marking them as questions so that hopefully one or more of the knowledgeable members will correct or verify my understanding of the situation.

Cheers, Graham.

weixing said:
Hi,
May be Sigma should use those lens code that Canon don't provide correction data for it, so no correction will be applied when the feature is turn on.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

Hi,
May be those who use third party lens affected by this issue can try removing the lens data from the camera one by one to find out which is use by that third party lens and remove them from their camera if they don't want to disable the function. When the lens data is not in the camera, no correction will be done.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

factor said:
This is not Sigmas fault - seems like Canon crippled their cameras first, and third party lenses support now...
So mutch attention to protect self pastly ... there is no other arguments more for Canon ... ? :(

Yes it is 100% Sigma's fault.

They choose not to pay for a lens registration code, that means they spoof an official Canon code, that means the camera thinks a different lens than is actually on it is on it, therefore it applies the wrong aberration corrections. How is that not Sigma's fault?

By the way Zeiss do pay Canon for unique lens codes, that is why the same thing doesn't happen to people who use native fit Zeiss glass on their Canon bodies.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

factor said:
then ... why theese lenses are working on older Canon cameras without issues ... ?

Bescause Canon don't test for Sigma compatibility on new body firmware, Sigma do test for compatibility on older body firmware. Canon shouldn't be held responsible for Sigma spoofing lens codes.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
factor said:
then ... why theese lenses are working on older Canon cameras without issues ... ?

Bescause Canon don't test for Sigma compatibility on new body firmware, Sigma do test for compatibility on older body firmware. Canon shouldn't be held responsible for Sigma spoofing lens codes.

True. But I don't see this as being an issue anyway. As far as I'm aware, this only effects in camera jpg and it is only a problem until sigma releases a firmware update and solves the issue.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
factor said:

hmmm - I realy do not think that "lens code" change self on lens, depend on what body mounted (old or new) ... ?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

All third party manufacturers have a tough time with lenses, since they must provide a code to the camera that identifies the lens. The camera firmware has a table of lenses and codes, and the capabilities and corrections for each lens. As canon expands their in-camera correction of lenses to include more models of lens, suddenly it appears that a lens is not working on the new camera. I keep the in camera corrections turned off, the corrections can be done by DPP, Lightroom, DXO, and probably most serious image editing software.

If you use third party lenses, flashes, or other accessories that electrically connect to the camera, you should expect issues until firmware fixes are issued, or you may just have a paperweight. That happened to me with Sigma lenses, 4 of 5 became paperweights because Sigma did not update the firmware. The 5th cost me $100 for the upgrade due to their poor reverse engineering. I've avoided Sigma since. Others who get caught like this are house brands which are rebadged Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lenses. The manufacturers will not touch them, so you have to hope the original seller can fix them.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography said:
All third party manufacturers have a tough time with lenses, since they must provide a code to the camera that identifies the lens. The camera firmware has a table of lenses and codes, and the capabilities and corrections for each lens. As canon expands their in-camera correction of lenses to include more models of lens, suddenly it appears that a lens is not working on the new camera. I keep the in camera corrections turned off, the corrections can be done by DPP, Lightroom, DXO, and probably most serious image editing software.

If you use third party lenses, flashes, or other accessories that electrically connect to the camera, you should expect issues until firmware fixes are issued, or you may just have a paperweight. That happened to me with Sigma lenses, 4 of 5 became paperweights because Sigma did not update the firmware. The 5th cost me $100 for the upgrade due to their poor reverse engineering. I've avoided Sigma since. Others who get caught like this are house brands which are rebadged Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lenses. The manufacturers will not touch them, so you have to hope the original seller can fix them.

... thats OK - I got it ... :)
I just like to highlit that corporations ( including canon) are not so friendly, like some of us can imagine maybe ...
... and are not our 'friends' ... at alll ... :)
Somehow it's boring, that for all should 'pay' consumer ... isn't ?

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015

factor said:
This is not Sigmas fault - seems like Canon crippled their cameras first, and third party lenses support now...
So mutch attention to protect self pastly ... there is no other arguments more for Canon ... ? :(

This conspiracy theory gets old. Stop making stuff up. Canon is not sitting around some table discussing how best to screw 3rd-party lens manufacturers.

Canon, Nikon, and Sony are not under any obligation to keep companies like Sigma in the loop (or ask permission) when they update their cameras.

You might need a thicker tin-foil hat there buddy.

Upvote 0

gmon750 said:
factor said:

This conspiracy theory gets old. Stop making stuff up. Canon is not sitting around some table discussing how best to screw 3rd-party lens manufacturers.

Canon, Nikon, and Sony are not under any obligation to keep companies like Sigma in the loop (or ask permission) when they update their cameras.

I agree - that's not about 'conspiracy', buddy - it's about how consumers are threaded ...
anyway - I'm just trying understud myself, what kind of agreements have canon and third parties ...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

factor said:
gmon750 said:
factor said:

I agree - that's not about 'conspiracy', buddy - it's about how consumers are threaded ...
anyway - I'm just trying understud myself, what kind of agreements have canon and third parties ...

Canon has stated multiple times that they do not license their lens technology to other companies. That means that the companies must reverse engineer the canon communication codes. That is not easy, as history shows. There are lens capabilities that may be unused at the present, and activated when the camera is able to make use. The new commands being sent confuse reverse engineering.

As for purposely trying to break third party lenses, there would be some very stiff fines levied in almost every country around the world if it could be proven. That does not mean they don't do it, as long as they are adding some new lens or camera capability that requires a new command to the lens or flash or whatever, they can justify breaking the 3rd party devices.

Upvote 0