SmallRig LP-E6NH $31.99 (Reg $39.99)

I got a couple when they first came out. Really put them through their paces, with more than 20 recharges each now. They keep their charge more so than the Canon OEM batteries. By that I mean they have about the same delivered power, but if you leave it on the shelf or in the camera, it'll remain more charged than the Canon batteries, which very slowly lose charge. This is the only third party battery I've tested (I *think* I've tested all the ones available in the US) that has performed better than Canon's.

My charging system involves throwing used batteries on a Dolgin charger, which can charge four at a time. I then throw the charged batteries into the stack of other charged ones, ordered so I'm using the one charged least recently. This forces them to be cycled consistently. I have 11 in active rotation, 2 of them being SmallRig. I notice that when I take a couple batteries from the stack, if one is SmallRig and the other Canon, when I look at the battery menu screen, it shows the SmallRig around 100 percent and the Canon one in the low or mid-90s.

One thing I'd like to test out is whether the R5 lowers shutter frames per second once these batteries get below 80 percent power, as the R5 does with the other third party batteries.

I love the USB-C charging port, but I find I don't actually use it. Might bring them especially when traveling, though, as it would be handy to not bring my charger with me and exploit that USB port. I just know that someday it'll save my bacon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I love the USB-C charging port, but I find I don't actually use it. Might bring them especially when traveling, though, as it would be handy to not bring my charger with me and exploit that USB port. I just know that someday it'll save my bacon.
At home, I charge my batteries in the standalone charger. But when traveling, I take advantage of the in-camera USB charging and simply connect the power adapter I bring for my Mac to the camera.

Upvote 0
Did a test overnight of the ones I've been using for months. The Dolin charger has a feature where it will discharge the battery completely, charge it again, and then test the amount of power output for an entire new cycle. It reveals that the SmallRig batteries - after a couple dozen real-world uses and recharges - maintains a level of 1.96 mah, which is essentially slightly better than the Canon original batteries. Because of small sample size, we can really only say they're roughly the same. Other third party batteries have declined in performance versus the Canon ones by this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
i bought one last year to try out and I really liked it. Good capacity and the USB-C charging is awesome! With a couple of these, I can have one always charging from a power bank in my backpack while I keep shooting with the other.

The recharge performance of the Canon LP-E6NH and OEM spare that I got with my R7 has dropped to two bars. Once they're gone (probably by the end of this year), I'm going to go with just a couple of these.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Did a test overnight of the ones I've been using for months. The Dolin charger has a feature where it will discharge the battery completely, charge it again, and then test the amount of power output for an entire new cycle. It reveals that the SmallRig batteries - after a couple dozen real-world uses and recharges - maintains a level of 1.96 mah, which is essentially slightly better than the Canon original batteries. Because of small sample size, we can really only say they're roughly the same. Other third party batteries have declined in performance versus the Canon ones by this point.
The "discharge completely every so often" advice goes back to 1970s-1980s NiCd batteries, which definitely needed it to maintain performance. I'm not sure how much it applies to modern Li-ion batteries, or even NiMH. The only thing I've heard it can help with is to resynchronize the fuel gauge/coulomb counter chip in the battery to the cells.

Another thing I've heard you need to be careful about is that such a deep discharge could cause one of the individual cells inside the battery to reverse its polarity, damaging it or an adjacent cell. But this may also be old advice, from a time before batteries contained lots of electronics to optimize their performance and lifetime. YMMV.

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
The "discharge completely every so often" advice goes back to 1970s-1980s NiCd batteries, which definitely needed it to maintain performance. I'm not sure how much it applies to modern Li-ion batteries,
It is the opposit: NEVER discharge completely. It is also better not to charge completely but use it between 30%-80%.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
OK, I finally got around to doing that R5 battery test I suggested, where I'd see how low a charge these SmallRig batteries can go before they start to go from the "green H+" level of frames per second (12 fps) to the "white H+" (9 fps).

You all may recall that Canon batteries typically go to the lower fps only after they've been run down to 60 percent full. The other third parties were able to keep the 12 fps for only until they got below between 70 and 80 percent. If you really want to dive into all that trivia, you can read the article on batteries from three years ago...

These SmallRig ones, again, proved to be just like the Canon Batteries, making it to somewhere between 60 and 50 percent charged before going down to 9 fps. The imprecision there was because I let them go down too long before I tried them again.

I've only tested two in this fashion. Now have four to try out, so I'll add to this if I see anything different from the others.

The upshot: I think these batteries are slightly better than Canon's OEM ones. Add the USB port and the fact they cost half as much, these are the ones I'll buy next.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0