So frustrated with new 5DmkIII - returning it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bchernicoff said:
I don't think the in-camera JPEGs are very good at this point either. I never shot JPEG on my Mk II, so I don't really know big the RAW vs. JPEG difference was in detail in good light, but with the Mk III the JPEGs loose a lot of detail compared to RAW images process with Adobe ACR 6.7 RC1 / DNG convertor. I think that Canon has a RAW processing problem in both the DPP software and the camera firmware. The Adobe processed RAWs show the detail is there. I've been looking at this a lot and would be glad to take a look at one of your RAW files compared to mine. You can sign up for a free dropbox.com account and upload it to your Public folder to share. You can do it all through their website if you don't want to install their software. My gmail address is the same as my username here.
I posted these raw comparisons in a couple of other threads
https://rapidshare.com/files/265985045/045C0110.CR2
https://rapidshare.com/files/2949940123/IMG_8491.CR2

I feel the 5D2 is sharper still

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
JR said:
Me too! I was having such high hopes! Hopefully a different unit will be better!
I'm very keen to hear how you new unit goes because so far I'm concerned about the IQ of the images too
I'll probably wait unti proper raw converters are out before i look at taking it back
I think canon need to get a firmware update out STAT that fixes the horrid in camera jpeg processing too
I think i'd be happier with jpegs out of a rebel than this thing puts out

Ouch. Sounds like your 5DIII is performing like a dud so far. What specifically about the IQ is so bad? If the jpegs look worse than a Rebel, I'm hoping I'm not in for disappointment when my 5DIII shows up this week.

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
wickidwombat said:
thanks for emailing those jpgs fleetie!

but I feel your jpg processing is about on par with mine (vs how sharp the 5D2 is)
definately something funky with the in camera processing on these things IMO

at f8 the edges of those petals would be razor crisp on the 5D2

heres hoping there are some early firmware updates coming up

Well, ok. But I think they're ok. Considering they've been de-mosaiced, I think they're ok.

But keep us informed of your progress, cos we'd all like to know if there is something that can be done to make the pics even better.

Upvote 0
@JR: It sounds like your lens(es) and camera body may be out of alignment. Thats not really all that uncommon (all manufactured equipment has to be manufactured within certain tolerances, and when you have broadly compatible interchangeable parts, tolerances usually have to be loosened to a greater degree than would be ideal), and the primary reason most higher grade cameras like the 5D III include lens micro adjustment features. You may have a general adjustment problem, or it may be lens specific. The 5D III supports adjusting for both cases, however by default micro adjustment applies globally.

I would try micro adjusting your lens+camera combinations and see if that improves your results. You will need a calibration chart or device. For a chart, you might try this one: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart (this site also includes very detailed instructions on how to print and use the chart.) If you really want to go all out and get things extremely precise, you should probably get a LensAlign device: http://michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html. Canon cameras allow you to micro adjust per-lens, and I think you can store up to around 20 lens micro adjustment profiles. The camera will automatically select the right profile for a given lens when that lens is attached (I am not sure if that works with third-party lenses or not...Canon lenses are microchipped with a bunch of statistical information.)

Hopefully micro adjust will help, and prevent you from having to return your camera (and incur all that extra shipping cost and who knows what other costs.)

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
I posted these raw comparisons in a couple of other threads
https://rapidshare.com/files/265985045/045C0110.CR2
https://rapidshare.com/files/2949940123/IMG_8491.CR2

I feel the 5D2 is sharper still

I saw these posted earlier but didn't look at them as closely as I did today. They don't look too bad, although they are on the soft side. They did sharpen up nicely with a subtle unsharp mask, though. Maybe my standards are just low :)

It sounds like the jpegs are real turds, though. Can anyone put up some sample jpegs? I'd like to see how bad the in-camera processing is.

Upvote 0
JR said:
1- ISO 100-400 is not better than my 5DmkII and actually at ISO 400 where a lot of my picture are taking with a flash I actually see more noise - ok I know the official RAW converter are not out yet so I was ready to live it until final software come out BUT: ...

Wow, this is the 2nd time I have heard that 5D3's ISO 800 noise is better than that of ISO 400. See:

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/?postID=2262&canon-5diii-vs-5dii-vs-7d-high-iso-noise-tests

Sounds like 5d3's latest software noise reduction algorithm definitely kicks in on or before ISO 800, making jpg
noise look great compared to 5d2. As a 5d2 owner, I hope we can use the new DPP to do the same noise reduction as the 5d3, making 5d2's high ISO performance even better... :)

Also heard that 5d3's sensor has banding noise improved compared to 5d2. If so, with the same NR engine in the new DPP, one should be able to push 5d3 higher in ISO than 5d2.

Upvote 0
bchernicoff said:
Here is a quick screenshot from Aperture. I was shooting RAW+JPEG. Photo on left is in-camera JPEG (one of the better ones) and photo on right is CR2 converted to DNG. Notice the missing detail in the white petals.

It looks like the in-camera processing is adding lots of contrast to add more color, contrast, and "pop" at the expense of detail in the midtones. I agree that it seems quite aggressive. Just out of curiosity, where did you have the jpeg presets (contrast, saturation, etc) set at for this shot?

Upvote 0
D

dystorsion

This seems pretty symptomatic of the DPP issue, and I bet that is indeed the problem.

As someone else posted earlier, Bryan C over at the-digital-picture had this to say:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2142

Another fellow returned his because he encountered the exact same problem (but did not know the cause at the time which has been revealed to be the above).

My apologies if you don't use DPP and already use the DNG converter, and are still getting sub-par results. In which case, I hope things turn out better if you exchange for another copy.

Upvote 0
The bottom line is, this is fantastic camera and I really like using it. Converting to DNG proves the sensor and the RAW files have the detail, we are just stuck dealing with a firmware/software issue...which sucks, but is not the end of the world.

To anyone concerned about their camera: try converting with the Adobe software first. If you are still not satisfied do some tripod Live view manual focus shots to make sure you aren't having a focus calibration issue. If the result is still bad, then maybe you have something to worry about.

Upvote 0
D

dystorsion

bchernicoff said:
The bottom line is, this is fantastic camera and I really like using it. Converting to DNG proves the sensor and the RAW files have the detail, we are just stuck dealing with a firmware/software issue...which sucks, but is not the end of the world.

To anyone concerned about their camera: try converting with the Adobe software first. If you are still not satisfied do some tripod Live view manual focus shots to make sure you aren't having a focus calibration issue. If the result is still bad, then maybe you have something to worry about.

This +10.

It's hard to imagine how Canon could manage such a blunder with their software.. otherwise I still feel that the camera is at the least, good.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
jrista said:
@JR: It sounds like your lens(es) and camera body may be out of alignment. Thats not really all that uncommon (all manufactured equipment has to be manufactured within certain tolerances, and when you have broadly compatible interchangeable parts, tolerances usually have to be loosened to a greater degree than would be ideal), and the primary reason most higher grade cameras like the 5D III include lens micro adjustment features. You may have a general adjustment problem, or it may be lens specific. The 5D III supports adjusting for both cases, however by default micro adjustment applies globally.

I would try micro adjusting your lens+camera combinations and see if that improves your results. You will need a calibration chart or device. For a chart, you might try this one: http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart (this site also includes very detailed instructions on how to print and use the chart.) If you really want to go all out and get things extremely precise, you should probably get a LensAlign device: http://michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html. Canon cameras allow you to micro adjust per-lens, and I think you can store up to around 20 lens micro adjustment profiles. The camera will automatically select the right profile for a given lens when that lens is attached (I am not sure if that works with third-party lenses or not...Canon lenses are microchipped with a bunch of statistical information.)

Hopefully micro adjust will help, and prevent you from having to return your camera (and incur all that extra shipping cost and who knows what other costs.)

Thanks jrista this is a good suggestion indeed, just not sure I want to invest the time required for this MA since I tried before and lets say I am note he best at these test. Point is for a brand new camera, I feel a should return it and get a proper unit that does work ...

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Not meaning to hijack the thread but, since most of this is about soft images from the 5DM3, here goes...

I have had the 5DM3 for 4 days now and am pretty pleased with its performance. I've been doing mostly outdoor landscape type of stuff testing it out. Tonight I realized that I hadn't used a flash on it at all so I mounted a small 270EX that I use for fill flash and began firing away at at a stack of magazines on the coffee table with the 24-105L. With the camera set to let it select the focus points the results were soft to completely out of focus. Changing the AF to single point produced sharp photos. The magazine on top was a copy of American Photo with the large word "Photo" in red. When the camera locked onto the red Photo word, the focus was completely off. It got better when it chose to lock onto areas with black text but never produced anything as sharp as single point AF focused on the same black text. This requires more investigation on my part but it will have to wait. I have a 580EX II that I can test with as well but I thought I'd go ahead and put this out there in case anyone else with a 5DM3 can look at it too...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.