So..what sucks about this shot?

Here's another take that removes fine detail and crops out the distracting ear and most of the hand. I did this quickly just to make the point that there are millions of ways to change the image -- this one is meant to focus in on the main point of the image, the connection between the two subjects.

Attachments

• IMG_0523 copy.jpg
    IMG_0523 copy.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,684
Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
mjardeen said:
Here's another take that removes fine detail and crops out the distracting ear and most of the hand. I did this quickly just to make the point that there are millions of ways to change the image -- this one is meant to focus in on the main point of the image, the connection between the two subjects.

Really like what you have done here buddy! Really nice.

Upvote 0
F

FreManga

Narcolepsy said:
I really like how you've reprocessed, cropped and toned this shot.... However - perhaps the reprocess has also really highlighted the hand - which was perhaps a little problematic already - lightening the hand might help?
I also agree that there was already a good emotional connection in the original

I'd say if there's a lot of attention being focussed on the hand, then that's the part of the photo that has the most merit in it. A tighter crop on the hand and child's face admittedly loses the kiss, but maintains the the loving touch while bringing a bit of ambiguity into the shot, making it more interesting. It takes it from being a hallmark moment to something a bit more open to interpretation - an therefore involves the viewer. There's a lovely contrast in textures in this section of the image which is highlighted with this crop.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
FreManga said:
Narcolepsy said:
I really like how you've reprocessed, cropped and toned this shot.... However - perhaps the reprocess has also really highlighted the hand - which was perhaps a little problematic already - lightening the hand might help?
I also agree that there was already a good emotional connection in the original

I'd say if there's a lot of attention being focussed on the hand, then that's the part of the photo that has the most merit in it. A tighter crop on the hand and child's face admittedly loses the kiss, but maintains the the loving touch while bringing a bit of ambiguity into the shot, making it more interesting. It takes it from being a hallmark moment to something a bit more open to interpretation - an therefore involves the viewer. There's a lovely contrast in textures in this section of the image which is highlighted with this crop.

I like the texture of the hand... but I really don't like what you did with the shot.

Upvote 0
IMHO after looking at the pic some more the very best you can do with this picture is use it as a learning experience... and toss it in the don't do this pile. It's one thing if it's candid and that's all you could get, but that hand is too difficult to remove and the framing is dead center which is normally a big no no. At the end of the day you could Photoshop it to death and it still won't make it a great shot simply due to composition and the visual distraction. I have a great many shots like this myself and I just try to see what I did wrong and try to improve on the next one or simply don't hit that shutter until it's perfect (even if it means missing the moment).

Upvote 0
Canihaspicture said:
IMHO after looking at the pic some more the very best you can do with this picture is use it as a learning experience... and toss it in the don't do this pile. It's one thing if it's candid and that's all you could get, but that hand is too difficult to remove and the framing is dead center which is normally a big no no. At the end of the day you could Photoshop it to death and it still won't make it a great shot simply due to composition and the visual distraction. I have a great many shots like this myself and I just try to see what I did wrong and try to improve on the next one or simply don't hit that shutter until it's perfect (even if it means missing the moment).

IMHO the goal of this should be to look at all the ways you can see an image, recrop, and reprocess to get it closer to your idea of a better image. Below is an original image, it's a piece of crap, but I think the final processing changes it into something that hits my vision of what the images ideal is.

The amusing part is that it was taken with my first digital camera which was a 1mp. To me it shows that vision, composition, and processing all add up to creating the image in your minds eye. Mind you that I do not think this is some fantastic image, but I do remember it as being the image that got me thinking that I could goo all digital and I did when 5mp became common. My inspiration for precessing always goes back to Ansel Adams taking more than 20 years of work to get the print he had always seen for Moonrise over Hernandez NM.

Attachments

• Kalaloch_threeplayonbeach_orgnew.jpg
    Kalaloch_threeplayonbeach_orgnew.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,035
Upvote 0

Alan J

Always room for improvement.
Oct 19, 2013
Scotland
I'm not bothered about other peoples opinions in regard to my photography. I take photographs because I see something worth saving so it can be revisited time and time again.

I'm perfectly able to be critical of my photographs. Only I know what it was in the shot that made me want to capture it. If I succeeded I'll be content, if not I'll try again till I get it right.

Upvote 0