So..what sucks about this shot?

Hi. Just looked at the photo and had the thought that the real interest is in the middle third, sort of centering on the diamond created by the child's hat, the adult's index finger, the adult's hairline and scarf. On the left I would crop just left of the diamond (just a little bit to the left of where the scarf and index finger meet, doing without most of the finger), on the right left before (just left of) the hair that drop vertically, doing without the ear. I think the 'message' is in this area. Just an idea.

Upvote 0
I think its a good shot and I like it. But, it is a photo of people I don't know. If it was my wife and child, I'd be delighted. I'd frame it and putting it on wall. But would I put your photo on my wall? No.

With close up photos of people, it is difficult to gain widespread acceptance unless it is a photo of someone famous (or unless you are famous). While people can appreciate it is a good photo, it only has relevance to those pictured and close family members.

I wouldn't take the rejection too personally. The fact that the judges didn't accept it doesn't detract from it being a good photo.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
If you want the proof is in the pudding critique. Try out pixoto.com. It will put your image against other images in a duel and one will win and one will lose. You receive and average score to show you a real life critique of your photos.

It's sweet and I use it to judge my work against real world photographers.

Upvote 0
H

haqyourlegs

sandymandy said:
Hi,

id like to get some critique whats crappy and whats maybe not so crappy about my photo.
Id also especially like to know if its over exposed or sth, since i dont got a good PC screen for digital image processing.
Im in week 4 now of doing photography ever in my life :3

Hey, sandymandy! First off, I love the concept of the shot. The fact that you are able to catch a moment in time that shows the love between two people is wonderful. Contrary to the earlier comment about the hand being "too manly", I have to disagree and say that the hand, for me, is one of the most beautiful aspects of the photo. I agree that having too much of the mother's face detracts from the impact of the image, but this is what photography is about: learning what works and what doesn't, and how you can improve. I would have tried maybe a bit of a different angle, focusing on the child's eyes a bit more, and if I used colour I would have created an image that was a little less saturated.

I do not think it is over-exposed, but when picturing people you have to be careful that their faces don't get lost in when you adjust the contrast. I am a big fan of high-contrast pictures, but usually when dealing with architecture or other still-life... when photographing people, try to have less harsh contrasts. Other than that, and agreeing with some others over here, it is a good shot for your first month. As you go along you will discover new ways of showcasing emotion and creating moving images. That is not to say that you should strive for perfection of emotion each time. Sometimes, it's just not there, and you have to work with what you have (especially if you plan on wedding photography and tensions are running high, achieving images that are lovey-dovey and perfect can be a hassle).

Anyway, I like it, but try not to get stuck in the "black-and-white-photos-are-art" mentality, because it's not true. Experiment with a lot of different things. One great website that has helped me a LOT with composition and other tips is: http://digital-photography-school.com/ ... it has weekly challenges that help you push yourself and see a lot of different types of work. I find that I am not 100% in line with some of the composition rules that the owner of the website uses, but it is a great place to get some inspiration and try a lot of different things.

Good luck, and keep clicking!

Upvote 0
scrappydog said:
AJ said:
...The photo looks a tad underexposed and the blackpoint is very heavy. I'd like to see some rich dark shades rather than solid black.

The region of the child's lips is very dark. It seems to get lost in the photo, and yet this is the part that makes the photo charming. It's hard to see the child smiling. I suggest trying some dodging here to brighten this area and to draw more attention to it. The same holds true for the child's eye.
+1. I was thinking most of this but did not communicate it well in my prior post.

I agree. It's a wonderful frozen moment but perhaps a tad underexposed. I'd pull back on the blacks, that alone might be enough but if not you could just brighten it up a tad.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of feedback from everyone so you probably don't need mine... I agree with the dodging and burning... My eye is drawn immediately to the bright white hat and stays there. It should have been a darker hat and if the little girl's hair were covered just a bit more you could have played the "little bald girl with cancer" angle.

When post processing pay attention to where your eyes jump to (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) make it tell a story and don't forget to play on human emotions.

Upvote 0
R

rhommel

hello,

first of all, your photo does not suck. go here http://youarenotaphotographer.com/ and I know you'll feel better about your photo. :)

ask the woman in the photo what she thinks of it. if she hates it, then ask her why, if she loves it, then you've done your job as a photographer

p.s i am sure that woman in the photo will like/love your photo, no doubt

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
EYEONE said:
I agree. It's a wonderful frozen moment but perhaps a tad underexposed. I'd pull back on the blacks, that alone might be enough but if not you could just brighten it up a tad.
Yep, had the same thought. If I could make out the babies eyes more, it'd have an even stronger emotional pull. And pulling back on the blacks would still leave the texture of the woman's hand without making it the focal point.

Upvote 0
rhommel said:
go here http://youarenotaphotographer.com/ and I know you'll feel better about your photo. :)

This website is really funny! Thanks :)

Ill never do wedding photography i think. Im such a really slow photographer. U can call me slowpoke!
Oh and its not a "baby" in my photo :p She is 4 years old.
Heres the original resized. I think i should have used a more closed aperture.

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 970
Upvote 0
For me the best way to respond is to recrop and slightly reprocess your image. I do think there is an emotional connection in the image that gives it worth beyond simply those who know the two people in the image. I see the love of a mother/grandmother for her child. I do think that going B&W is a good way to go so that the distracting colors are removed from the essential content of the image. I toned the image as I think it gives the image a more emotional feel. I used to never tone my images and then started at first with more subtle ones and now go bold. The tone I used here is one that replicates the Silver Gelatin look.

Attachments

• IMG_0523-3_mjardeen.jpg
    IMG_0523-3_mjardeen.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,254
Upvote 0
mjardeen said:
For me the best way to respond is to recrop and slightly reprocess your image. I do think there is an emotional connection in the image that gives it worth beyond simply those who know the two people in the image. I see the love of a mother/grandmother for her child. I do think that going B&W is a good way to go so that the distracting colors are removed from the essential content of the image. I toned the image as I think it gives the image a more emotional feel. I used to never tone my images and then started at first with more subtle ones and now go bold. The tone I used here is one that replicates the Silver Gelatin look.
I really like how you've reprocessed, cropped and toned this shot.... However - perhaps the reprocess has also really highlighted the hand - which was perhaps a little problematic already - lightening the hand might help?
I also agree that there was already a good emotional connection in the original

Upvote 0