Sony A7s II - THE DSLR Killer?

Read this:

We have expectation that it will come with the improvement over few sections compared to its predecessor Sony Alpha 7S then it will definitely gain better response from the users.

Resolution – We expect that it will come with larger resolution (possibly 20MP) comparative to its predecessor‘s so that it can deliver high quality images with superior clarity and sharpness.

The AF system should be upgraded with Fast Hybrid AF system similar to AF System of Sony A7R II which uses 399 phase-detect points and 25 contrast-detect points for a speedy Fast Hybrid AF system which will offer accurate tracking with its higher AF points including 45% coverage along with 25 contrast-detect AF points for the improvement in the speed, accuracy and tracking performance of the system.

It is expected that the ISO sensitivity should be at least double or triple than its predecessor which is equivalent to 819200 or 1638400 , so that it allows to shoot clearly at very dull lightning conditions and can produce very sharp images of the fastest moving objects.

Introduction of 5-axis IS in A7S Series – Sony Alpha 7S II should come with Five-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization similar to Sony A7R II for vertical, horizontal, pitch, yaw, and roll movements. This helps the users to use any lens including adapted lenses for critical imaging without facing any blur due to camera shake. This system will compensate for approximately 4.5 stops of shutter speed for working with a huge variety of subjects.

We expect it should offer internal UHD 4K video recording at 30 or 24 fps, the Sony A7S was limited to external 4K recording only.

This text shown, is from this source: http://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/2015/06/21/sony-a-7sii-coming-soon/

I am a Canon user but I am waiting for the second generation of Sony A7S camera. They managed to triple the ISO sensitivity of the A7R camera and also managed increased resolution from 36 to 42.... by the implementation of BSI tech in FF sensor... A Sony a7s II with ISO 819200 would be crazy! What do you think? Do you think, that canon would compete with the 5D IV?

Also see Sony managers interview here - http://thenewcamera.com/sony-a7s-ii-aroma-coming-from-sony-managers-interview/

I want to buy a new camera this year and there are 3 cameras which would be in my list. The 5D IV, when it is as good a the a7r II with less mp and better ISO performance, the a7r II and the a7s II. What do you think? Which one to get? Would be the a7s II also a DSLR killer? ???

EDIT: Another really informative article from Sony Senior General Manager Kimio Maki: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/tele-fe-and-brighter-primes-are-high-on-the-priority-list/

Feb 8, 2013
It's going to be interesting seeing what resolution the A7SII is going to be, and whether they implement IBIS, which ruined the high ISO performance of the A7II (it's more than a stop worse than cameras like the 6D).
A jump from 12MP to 20MP would reduce low light performance by just about a stop, I almost think they would be better off keeping it at 12MP, if you're going to make a dedicated low-light camera you may as well go all the way. You also get native 4K recording at 12MP. It still seems like the right choice for the moment.

Upvote 0
m said:
We need a new system for ISO, these numbers are getting silly.

We need a new topic, these postings are getting silly.

I'm really getting tired of reading about "DSLRs killers" and that Canon is doomed and that we all need the DR only Sony's EXMOR can deliver, etc.. These postings are not informative any more (we've read the contents a thousand times before) and they're not even entertaining.

Why is it that people on the Internet have to make a holy war out of everything? In the real world I don't get bashed for using a Canon DSLR.

It is getting quite senseless to visit sites like dpreview and canonrumors. Nothing to be learned anymore which might be relevant to my photography.

<end of rant>

Oliver

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
bedford said:
....Why is it that people on the Internet have to make a holy war out of everything?....
Hmmm......
There's a perspective that causes me to suddenly appreciate the DR flame wars etc..
There's no blood drawn here, no lives senselessly lost, compare to a real holy war.
---
Back on topic, sure, mirror slappers will become obsolete, but it's going to be a while yet, don't be anxious or impatient.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I wish we could consolidate all these Sony fanatic threads into one, that way they wouldn't clutter up this forum.

One thing that's amusing is that clearly these Sony lovers don't even read the interviews with the Sony executives. Read carefully the interview with Sony Senior General Manager Kimio Maki. His message can be summed up like this: "Yeah, our cameras aren't as good as DLSRs yet, but someday they will be. And, yeah, our lenses aren't as good as Canon, but hey, we are trying to get better."

Then, yesterday I got a copy of Popular Photography which was packaged with a special Sony advertising magazine. I looked through it and thought: these pictures sure look grainy and soft. If this company is supposed to have such magical sensors, the pictures sure don't show it. You would think that if they are trying to showcase their technical superiority, they would make sure the images were technically the best that could be achieved with their camera. But then again...maybe those were the best that could be done with their camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dilbert said:
9VIII said:
... I almost think they would be better off keeping it at 12MP, if you're going to make a dedicated low-light camera you may as well go all the way. You also get native 4K recording at 12MP. It still seems like the right choice for the moment.

I agree.

If they u the BSI & stacked sensor tech to improve the sensor in the A7SII and keep it at 12MP it would be a killer low light camera.

The BSI tech is beneficial for very tiny photosites, where the traces between the miniscule photosites take up a disproportionate amount of space, so a 12 MP sensor would have to be a really tiny one to benefit.

The Stacked technology was another one that Sony claimed would benefit tiny pixels.

From what I've read, a large photosite sensor like the 12 mp one would have a almost negligible benefit.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
dilbert said:
9VIII said:
... I almost think they would be better off keeping it at 12MP, if you're going to make a dedicated low-light camera you may as well go all the way. You also get native 4K recording at 12MP. It still seems like the right choice for the moment.

I agree.

If they u the BSI & stacked sensor tech to improve the sensor in the A7SII and keep it at 12MP it would be a killer low light camera.

The BSI tech is beneficial for very tiny photosites, where the traces between the miniscule photosites take up a disproportionate amount of space, so a 12 MP sensor would have to be a really tiny one to benefit.

The Stacked technology was another one that Sony claimed would benefit tiny pixels.

From what I've read, a large photosite sensor like the 12 mp one would have a almost negligible benefit.

From a geometrical standpoint it (BSI) is certainly a question of diminishing returns as pixel size increases. Whether it's negligible remains to be seen, but as I read the following, it appears Sony management thinks they've reached the point at which pixel area is irrelevant. I suspect he's just blowing gas, since physics would seek to contradict him, but maybe that's their position, and any improvements will come from deeper wells.

Sony Senior General Manager of the Digital Imaging Business Group Kimio Maki:
We wanted to overcome the idea that has been prevalent since as long as there have been digital cameras, that you can have one virtue [resolution] or the other [sensitivity] but you can never have both.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
unfocused said:
I wish we could consolidate all these Sony fanatic threads into one, that way they wouldn't clutter up this forum.

One thing that's amusing is that clearly these Sony lovers don't even read the interviews with the Sony executives. Read carefully the interview with Sony Senior General Manager Kimio Maki. His message can be summed up like this: "Yeah, our cameras aren't as good as DLSRs yet, but someday they will be. And, yeah, our lenses aren't as good as Canon, but hey, we are trying to get better."

Then, yesterday I got a copy of Popular Photography which was packaged with a special Sony advertising magazine. I looked through it and thought: these pictures sure look grainy and soft. If this company is supposed to have such magical sensors, the pictures sure don't show it. You would think that if they are trying to showcase their technical superiority, they would make sure the images were technically the best that could be achieved with their camera. But then again...maybe those were the best that could be done with their camera.

you sound very salty, "But then again...maybe those were the best that could be done with their camera." haha come on man you really think that? when we all know the Sony sensor is currently the best please don't tell me those images would of had turned out better on a Canon. In shots where you can use ISO 100 and don't need the DR Canons 5Ds will be sharper i bet, but once you need some ISO A7rIi is going to look better and the DR.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
Sorry i don't think DSLR is going to die i mean look at the A7rII its almost the same as a DSLR in size, the lenses are not that much smaller. Maybe DSLR will get some hybrid viewfinder so we get best of both worlds but i think DSLR will last at least 10 more years. Maybe batteries will have such high capacity that EVF cameras will be just as good as DSLR.

Is it more expensive to produce a DSLR? if a EVF becomes very very good i think they just might replace them but i am not sure if the cost is that much.

Then again EVF cameras will have increased frame rates that might get the sport shooters guys to switch over and force Canon to produce a EVF camera for them?

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
Yes, the A7sii will definitely kill the DSLR. All the people who would otherwise be buying <$1k Canon DSLR with 2 kit lens kits are probably very excited about the prospect of dropping $6k+ on the Sony and a couple of lenses.

Exactly. LOL. I love what Sony is doing with regard to lifting the whole (tech) boat, but to think that what they are doing with their high end is going to kill the DSLR is illogical.

People will continue to buy the box at Costco, Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam's, etc. A complete setup for the average income family for under 1k is not in the same market position as a setup where the body itself will start at a minimum of $3200 before we get to lenses. Based on the pricing scheme from the first round, I'd imagine the a7s2 will actually be a few hundred more than that.

Upvote 0
I recently got an ancient Canon 20D. I have been able to take some nice images with it during the past few months. However, since the Sony A7s II was announced, literally overnight, I noticed that my camera would no longer take good images, and that my 20D is basically 'dead'.

This is how the Sony A7s II killed my DSLR.

I'm sure that the millions of other DSLR users out there have had exactly the same experience with their cameras being killed overnight, and that their only option to ever take a good photograph again is to buy the Sony A7s II.

I am also sure that the millions of Canon, Nikon and other camera body and lenses in the world right now will simply disappear overnight and that everyone will jump to Sony mirrorless.

Personally, I don't even think that the Sony A7s III or Sony A7s IV - no matter how good they might be, will 'kill' the DSLR during the next few years... we're not there yet.

Upvote 0
Amusing to see the same rants and flames going on.

Look at the bigger picture, Sony are pushing boundaries of camera tech, good luck to them. Hopefully other manufacturers will get a spanking and up their game making it better for everyone.

The biggest issues I have with the A7 series is the lack of dual card slots, build quality and compressed raw files. Mines already got issues 4 weeks into ownership.

But it's something I'm willing to live with in a few cases as only this camera will do the job I need it to. Like 135L handheld in a church at 1/60 sec.

Each to their own.

Upvote 0
wockawocka said:

Look at the bigger picture, Sony are pushing boundaries of camera tech, good luck to them. Hopefully other manufacturers will get a spanking and up their game making it better for everyone.

The biggest issues I have with the A7 series is the lack of dual card slots, build quality and compressed raw files. Mines already got issues 4 weeks into ownership.

But it's something I'm willing to live with in a few cases as only this camera will do the job I need it to. Like 135L handheld in a church at 1/60 sec.

Each to their own.
What issues have you had with them? This is one thing I'm unsure of. My 5dsr is taking ages (or at least it feels like it) to come in so I considered cancelling and getting the a7rII. I made a list of pros and cons and decided that the 5dsr was a better fit for me but I'd love to hear more about the ergonomics and potential issues the Sony's might have as I'll probably add one to my collection at some point.

Upvote 0
benperrin said:
wockawocka said:

Each to their own.
What issues have you had with them? This is one thing I'm unsure of. My 5dsr is taking ages (or at least it feels like it) to come in so I considered cancelling and getting the a7rII. I made a list of pros and cons and decided that the 5dsr was a better fit for me but I'd love to hear more about the ergonomics and potential issues the Sony's might have as I'll probably add one to my collection at some point.

Hi Ben, I took my 645z and A7ii to Iceland and put it through their respective paces. About halfway through the trip when I went to view an image on the A7 it started to flick through the images all by itself (suggesting water ingress) and the wheel at the back of the camera that can click left, right, up and down to confirm pressure no long does it on the left side.

Sure, not everyone is going to shoot waterfalls with it but it's not weather sealed. Lots of fabulous features on the camera that means it's worth keeping but is absolutely and without question NOT a professional build camera. The worst it was subjected to was heavy mist. I never changed the lens on it either.

Making a 42mp camera and targeting landscapers who shoot in all weathers is a bit silly imho. So I'm probably going to hold out for the A9 if it turns out to be a true rumor. It's not so much about the size of the body for me but how robust it is.

I'm ready to jump brands but I need something secure to jump to. Right now the Sony's fall over at the most important step for me, build quality, dual card slots and jog dial AF selection points. (rather than their current more convoluted way).

Upvote 0
wockawocka said:
benperrin said:
wockawocka said:

Each to their own.

Hi Ben, I took my 645z and A7ii to Iceland and put it through their respective paces. About halfway through the trip when I went to view an image on the A7 it started to flick through the images all by itself (suggesting water ingress) and the wheel at the back of the camera that can click left, right, up and down to confirm pressure no long does it on the left side.

Sure, not everyone is going to shoot waterfalls with it but it's not weather sealed. Lots of fabulous features on the camera that means it's worth keeping but is absolutely and without question NOT a professional build camera. The worst it was subjected to was heavy mist. I never changed the lens on it either.

Making a 42mp camera and targeting landscapers who shoot in all weathers is a bit silly imho. So I'm probably going to hold out for the A9 if it turns out to be a true rumor. It's not so much about the size of the body for me but how robust it is.

I'm ready to jump brands but I need something secure to jump to. Right now the Sony's fall over at the most important step for me, build quality, dual card slots and jog dial AF selection points. (rather than their current more convoluted way).

Hmm, I'd be interested in knowing if it was indeed water that got into your camera. I've had a 60d (not weather sealed) with a non-weather-sealed lens out in pouring rain for a couple hours shooting a waterfall and never had an issue. I thought Sony pretty much just had battery life to work out before getting my money, but maybe there's more to it..

Upvote 0