Sony will announce the A7c II and A7cR on August 29, 2023

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like the first big announcement heading into the always busy Q4 will come from Sony on August 29, 2023 with the likely arrival of the alpha A7c II and the alpha A7cR. The likely specifications for each camera have been around for a while, and both look to be well specced offerings. Though

See full article...

Sony made a strategic misstep by not speccing their 33mpix sensor for full frame 4k60.

Canon then came along with the R6ii and R8 - and now has a very well specced midrange / semi-pro camera, and a similarly well specced travel / enthusiast camera in the R8.

I think this is why we've seen a flurry of parts-bin releases from Sony in recent months. Ideally they'd have just revved the a7c to a7cii using that 33mpix sensor... but that still left them exposed - so we saw the zv-e1 with a repurposed a7siii 12mpix sensor in a similar body. That doesn't have the resolution to meet general purpose hybrid / photo needs though - so they have to do the a7cii, and why not repurpose the 61mpix r sensor into a high res version?

I shot Canon for years, then migrated to the Sony r series and shot them for a good while. Most recently I owned an a7c but sold it to get an R8.

The a7c line is a nice platform as a travel camera - good image quality and the battery/IBIS gives it some handy advantages over Canon's R8. The ergonomics are brutal though; uncomfortable grip and lots of sharp edges, poor UI and low resolution screens. That's one of the primary reasons I've switched (back). The R8 is a joy to use, and very well thought out.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
It looks like the first big announcement heading into the always busy Q4 will come from Sony on August 29, 2023 with the likely arrival of the alpha A7c II and the alpha A7cR. The likely specifications for each camera have been around for a while, and both look to be well specced offerings.
Sony cameras are almost always well specced. That's why reviewers and influencers who have the camera for a day or less love them. All they really know is the spec numbers. And the cameras almost always under-perform, in my opinion. The Sony EVFs, for example, have the highest resolution, and yet every reviewer I have seen who compared the Sony A1 with the Nikon Z9, commented on how the Nikon was brighter and clearer. Cheaper glass in the Sony, they speculated. Users on FB groups also mention the duller EVFs in comparison to other brands, and that was certainly the case with the A7 II which I briefly owned. Lots of folks on FB also commenting on torn shutters at around 100k shots or less. Great specs don't always equal great performance.

Upvote 0