Sony A9 rumor: unlimited RAW buffer

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
We presumed a higher-than-enthusiast A-brand mirrorless model was in the works, but we presumed it would tout crazy battery life, be built for war, have a proper grip for heavier glass, compete on the AF front with SLRs, etc.

Instead, the first rumor we get has nothing to do with competing with the 1DX II or D5's specs that we would have expected. They are touting an endless buffer, of all things:

Original article can't be linked as it's from a competitive rumor site. ;)

Petapixel fanning the flames of the same rumor: http://petapixel.com/2016/04/07/sony-a9-dslr-like-camera-unlimited-raw-burst-report/

- A

ahsanford said:
J.R. said:
Hope it comes with an unlimited battery cause the current ones just won't cut it :-X

Oh yeah. There's complimentary scoop of irony included with every purchase -- that unlimited buffer lasts as long as their batteries do.
- A

You beat me to it.. :p. But seriously, what is Sony battery life expectancy? I've heard through the branches around 350 shots. Is that accurate? If so, big deal about buffer size. ::). At 10 fps were talking 35 seconds of battery life. Lol

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
ahsanford said:
They are touting an endless buffer

Which looks like no buffer at all - if the card is fast enough, just write there :)

I wonder if no one ever thought about using two channels to write to two fast cards alternating them - you need a processor each to handle the data transfer, but the overall speed should be higher.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
ahsanford said:
J.R. said:
Hope it comes with an unlimited battery cause the current ones just won't cut it :-X

Oh yeah. There's complimentary scoop of irony included with every purchase -- that unlimited buffer lasts as long as their batteries do.

- A

Reminds me of the review for Veyron. Dude was blasting some 400km/h at a test track, and was saying that at such speed the tires last only 15 minutes but that's not a problem since the gas tank lasts only 12.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Sharlin said:
Antono Refa said:
How do people live with a puny raw buffer that runs out under 20 seconds?

Clearly anything under 30 minutes is unacceptable, preferably at 25fps or higher.

I see what you did there.

at what resolution? 4K video resolution. we already have that ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
ahsanford said:
AvTvM said:
Looking forward to a really great Sony A9 that drives the final nail into mirrorslapper's coffin. ;D
I'm sure they'll blast all the specs up to 11, but what new/'pro' features will it get?
Do you expect an integral grip? Is this to be their 1-series?

Hopefully NOT. Integrated grip is absolutely stupid. Attachable is the intelligent solution. If designed "really right", of course.

But we shall see if/when/what Sony delivers. Also important: if they'll charge 1DX prices for an A9 ... then good luck. :D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Integrated grip is absolutely stupid. Attachable is the intelligent solution. If designed "really right", of course.

Attachable = flex = vibration on tripod = blur. Attachable = removable to eliminate vibration on tripod = cumbersome and annoying. Yeah, sounds smart. ::)

bullsh*t. Attachable grip done *really right* means NO FLEX whatsoever. Just a few nooks and crannies in the right places. Just because Canon so far has not been able to deliver this, does not mean it is difficult to get it right.

And *really right* also means: Arca-grooves *integrated* into bottom of every camera and every attachable grip. Canon was stupid enough not to figure that one out either.

Also *in real practice* when shooting using tripod:
a) if longer lenses are used where flex would be a problem due to more torque, those lenses are attached with tripod ring/foot.
b) for shorter lenses, landscape, astro stuff ... even a little flex is a non-issue if one just waits a bit until the system has settled down before triggering the shutter.

In my practice I've never had "flex-induced" issues with attachable vertical grips, even the 50 bucks grip from China on my 5D 3. [It did cause electronics problems, however, so I discarded it].

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Integrated grip is absolutely stupid. Attachable is the intelligent solution. If designed "really right", of course.

Attachable = flex = vibration on tripod = blur. Attachable = removable to eliminate vibration on tripod = cumbersome and annoying. Yeah, sounds smart. ::)

bullsh*t. Attachable grip done *really right* means NO FLEX whatsoever. Just a few nooks and crannies in the right places. Just because Canon so far has not been able to deliver this, does not mean it is difficult to get it right.

And *really right* also means: Arca-grooves *integrated* into bottom of every camera and every attachable grip. Canon was stupid enough not to figure that one out either.

Also *in real practice* when shooting using tripod:
a) if longer lenses are used where flex would be a problem due to more torque, those lenses are attached with tripod ring/foot.
b) for shorter lenses, landscape, astro stuff ... even a little flex is a non-issue if one just waits a bit until the system has settled down before triggering the shutter.

In my practice I've never had "flex-induced" issues with attachable vertical grips, even the 50 bucks grip from China on my 5D 3. [It did cause electronics problems, however, so I discarded it].

You're proposing an arca-style joint to attach a grip to a body?

Mkay

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I agree that I wish there was a standard but there currently is not. Manfroto has at least 2 mounts that are not Arca compatible. Are those users supposed to ditch their heads and convert because Canon was too stupid to integrate an Arca-groove into the base of the camera and grip? How would one mount the grip to the camera?

Upvote 0