Sony A9 rumor: unlimited RAW buffer

Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
bullsh*t. Attachable grip done *really right* means NO FLEX whatsoever. Just a few nooks and crannies in the right places. Just because Canon so far has not been able to deliver this, does not mean it is difficult to get it right.

And *really right* also means: Arca-grooves *integrated* into bottom of every camera and every attachable grip. Canon was stupid enough not to figure that one out either.

Lol, sure. Just a nook and cranny or two, that'll work. ::) It would need to fully interlock for 'no flex'. Let us know when Sony overcomes the laws of Newtonian physics concerning eccentric loads and vibration in a system where most high quality lenses are much heavier than those small, light cameras of which you're so enamored.

Of course, Sony should come out with your *really right* grip not too long after they launch YOUR PERFECT camera...which is scheduled for the 6th Tuesday in May of the year when pigs fly over snowbanks in Hell. ;D

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
Reminds me of the review for Veyron. Dude was blasting some 400km/h at a test track, and was saying that at such speed the tires last only 15 minutes but that's not a problem since the gas tank lasts only 12.

neuroanatomist said:
Of course, Sony should come out with your *really right* grip not too long after they launch YOUR PERFECT camera...which is scheduled for the 6th Tuesday in May of the year when pigs fly over snowbanks in Hell. ;D

Ha! Funny people on CR. ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
3kramd5 said:
You're proposing an arca-style joint to attach a grip to a body?

Mkay

Far be it from me to speak on someone else's behalf, but I think AvTvM meant this as a general value-add feature and not as a grip-attachment feature -- eliminating the need for L-plates, body plates, etc. by baking them into the design of the camera and grip itself has some merit, provided you don't need the grippy bits the arca mount would carve into.

This 100% would work on the camera bottom, but the standard grip and modular vertical grip would suffer from this, I think.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
ahsanford said:
3kramd5 said:
You're proposing an arca-style joint to attach a grip to a body?

Mkay

Far be it from me to speak on someone else's behalf, but I think AvTvM meant this as a general value-add feature and not as a grip-attachment feature -- eliminating the need for L-plates, body plates, etc. by baking them into the design of the camera and grip itself has some merit, provided you don't need the grippy bits the arca mount would carve into.

This 100% would work on the camera bottom, but the standard grip and modular vertical grip would suffer from this, I think.

- A

Possibly/probably, however his reply was in context of designing a detachable grip which doesn't allow more flex than the camera body itself.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Integrated grip is absolutely stupid. Attachable is the intelligent solution. If designed "really right", of course.

Attachable = flex = vibration on tripod = blur. Attachable = removable to eliminate vibration on tripod = cumbersome and annoying. Yeah, sounds smart. ::)

bullsh*t. Attachable grip done *really right* means NO FLEX whatsoever.

There is no such thing. A tripod made out of a solid block of cement will still allow less vibration than anything on the market, there is no such thing as overbuilt with this subject. There is certainly "very good" and "acceptable for most people", but as soon as you start throwing around statements like "no flex whatsoever" then you've automatically lost the argument.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
9VIII said:
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Integrated grip is absolutely stupid. Attachable is the intelligent solution. If designed "really right", of course.

Attachable = flex = vibration on tripod = blur. Attachable = removable to eliminate vibration on tripod = cumbersome and annoying. Yeah, sounds smart. ::)

There is no such thing. A tripod made out of a solid block of cement will still allow less vibration than anything on the market, there is no such thing as overbuilt with this subject. There is certainly "very good" and "acceptable for most people", but as soon as you start throwing around statements like "no flex whatsoever" then you've automatically lost the argument.

Sony A-X: comes with an unlimited buffer and an infinitely stiff tripod mount.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
9VIII said:
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

Many many years ago, we did this Michelson & Morley demo at local university once a year. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson%E2%80%93Morley_experiment )

Basically the system has couple mirrors reflecting laser beam, and it creates pattern on screen. One of the mirrors was fixed on a ~2-3 feet long railway steel beam (or something like one), and it was really easy to demonstrate that you can bend the beam with just press with your pinky.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

bullsh*t. Attachable grip done *really right* means NO FLEX whatsoever. Just a few nooks and crannies in the right places. Just because Canon so far has not been able to deliver this, does not mean it is difficult to get it right.

I can +1 that.
Only sloppy grips I've ever used were attached to my 40D and 7D; they didn't pre-load properly so flexed easily.
Even grips on my 350D and 450D were more rigid. My Fuji, Pentax and Nikon ones are pretty solid too.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Aglet said:
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

I can +1 that.
Only sloppy grips I've ever used were attached to my 40D and 7D; they didn't pre-load properly so flexed easily.
Even grips on my 350D and 450D were more rigid. My Fuji, Pentax and Nikon ones are pretty solid too.

Oh, so 'pretty solid' = 'NO FLEX whatsoever'? Do your Fuji grips have nooks and crannies like a Thomas' English muffin? ::)

thomas-front.png

Upvote 0
Canon beefed up the tripod mount on the 5ds to prevent movement from there, so I have a hard time believing even the best of grips are perfectly stable. On the other hand, I'm betting even the integrated grip body is not perfectly stable. But it's very difficult to believe that adding 1 1/2 inches of mechanical advantage to a tripod mount that is already very slightly unstable can do anything but make the rig even more unstable.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
again, in real life any flex introduced by a well made detachable battery grip is a non-issue.
* Long teles go on the tripod using their own tripod ring+foot, so flex on camera grip is totally irrelevant.
* Shorter/WA lenses do not create a large amount of torque on the system.
Give the system 2 seconds after you have framed the desired image, then trigger shutter. Especially, when mechanical shutter blades and slapping mirror plus submirrors are built into the light path of your chosen photon capturing device.

"Grip flex" on detachable battery grips is definitely a minor worry .. in real life. Of course not so in Canon fanboy forum discussions with 1D-X owners enamorated with their bulky, huge and heavy camera hardware. :)

But ... we digress from topic. Sony A9 it is. Hope it will come soon,. be really good and kick Canon and all mirrorslappers in the butt for good. :D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
There is no such thing as a detachable mount with no flex, but there is such a thing as a detachable mount with not enough flex to be significant.....

Your tripod flexes.... your tripod-head connection flexes... your tripod head flexes.... your head to camera connection flexes.... and your lens to camera mount flexes.... Your lens flexes, and so does the grip to camera mount. In the grand scheme of things, the grip to camera flex is dwarfed by tripod flex and head flex so it is generally insignificant..

As to vibration.... who boy! We have the mirror, pressing the shutter, and wind all making that camera vibrate. Adding a grip? It could make things worse (longer mechanical element) or it could make things better (more mass to dampen)... it all depends on the type of vibration. And by the way, even if your tripod, head, camera, grip, and lens were so insanely solid that they produced no vibration at all, then you have the ground you place it on to worry about... (there is a reason astronomers use vibration isolation pads :) and why audiophiles do the same)

Attachments

• vibrationsup.png
    vibrationsup.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
Don Haines said:
There is no such thing as a detachable mount with no flex, but there is such a thing as a detachable mount with not enough flex to be significant.....

Your tripod flexes.... your tripod-head connection flexes... your tripod head flexes.... your head to camera connection flexes.... and your lens to camera mount flexes.... and so does the grip to camera mount. In the grand scheme of things, the grip to camera flex is dwarfed by tripod flex and head flex so it is generally insignificant..

As to vibration.... who boy! We have the mirror, pressing the shutter, and wind all making that camera vibrate. Adding a grip? It could make things worse (longer mechanical element) or it could make things better (more mass to dampen)... it all depends on the type of vibration. And by the way, even if your tripod, head, camera, grip, and lens were so insanely solid that they produced no vibration at all, then you have the ground you place it on to worry about... (there is a reason astronomers use vibration isolation pads :) and why audiophiles do the same)

+1 love your reply

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
again, in real life any flex introduced by a well made detachable battery grip is a non-issue.

But ... we digress from topic. Sony A9 it is. Hope it will come soon,. be really good and kick Canon and all mirrorslappers in the butt for good. :D

Oh, so now you've changed your tune from NO FLEX whatsoever to some flex but not enough to matter. At least, not enough to matter to you, but that may depend more on your personal standards and tolerance for blur.

Back on topic, is the Sony A9 the PERFECT CAMERA that will MEET YOUR EVERY NEED? Or will it yet again not suffice, leaving you dragging your big, heavy body around and slapping your little mirror all over the place? ::)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
scyrene said:
AvTvM said:

You inhabit such an obscure fantasy world that I wonder why others even bother to engage with the points you raise.

Tone it down. No need to launch personal attacks. If u don't like what I write, just ignore it.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Back on topic, is the Sony A9 the PERFECT CAMERA that will MEET YOUR EVERY NEED? Or will it yet again not suffice, leaving you dragging your big, heavy body around and slapping your little mirror all over the place? ::)

I will definitely let you and the rest of the Canon Defense league here know, once a Sony A9 is out in the wild. Promised! ;D

PS: MY body is not big and heavy, oh no! Only Canon mirrorslappers are big, heavy and ugly.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
scyrene said:
AvTvM said:

You inhabit such an obscure fantasy world that I wonder why others even bother to engage with the points you raise.

Tone it down. No need to launch personal attacks. If u don't like what I write, just ignore it.

I don't think that's really a personal attack so much as my take on your outpourings. But fine. I do try to ignore you, but then you insist on repeating your monomania all over these forums...

Upvote 0