Spectacled Owl (Costa Rica)

One night in Costa Rica I woke up really early (3:30am) and couldn’t fall back asleep. Off in the distance I could hear the call of a Spectacled Owl and decided to go out and see if I could find it. I wasn’t very optimistic as I have tried to photograph this species at least a dozen times with no luck. I wandered down into the forest to see if I could get a look at this stunning owl. I knew the bird was close by so I decided to give him a call. Unbelievably, the bird cooperated and flew right in. He even perched for me in a great spot and I was able to snap a few pics. What a rush! I haven’t been so excited to photograph a bird in a while and it was a great reminder for me of what I absolutely love about bird photography.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On
ISO: 1250
Lens: EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x

Spectacled%20Owl%20-%2004.jpg

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Glenn Bartley said:
One night in Costa Rica I woke up really early (3:30am) and couldn’t fall back asleep. Off in the distance I could hear the call of a Spectacled Owl and decided to go out and see if I could find it. I wasn’t very optimistic as I have tried to photograph this species at least a dozen times with no luck. I wandered down into the forest to see if I could get a look at this stunning owl. I knew the bird was close by so I decided to give him a call. Unbelievably, the bird cooperated and flew right in. He even perched for me in a great spot and I was able to snap a few pics. What a rush! I haven’t been so excited to photograph a bird in a while and it was a great reminder for me of what I absolutely love about bird photography.

What a picture. Very nice. Even hard to believe. A 7D on iso 1250!!! and that on 840mm. Did you use a flash as fill light with better beamer or so?

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Glenn Bartley said:

This is kick-ass good, Glenn!
I know the rush. Hope you get more of that. :)

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
Glenn Bartley said:

What a picture. Very nice. Even hard to believe. A 7D on iso 1250!!! and that on 840mm. Did you use a flash as fill light with better beamer or so?

I used flash as the main light. No beamer.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Glenn Bartley said:

Thank you!

Hi Glen,

I just did buy your ebook about flash photography. Great book. Just did look in a few minutes throughout your work. Nice documented wit a lot of nice photos. I will start reading it in the coming hours.

Thanks man for sharing such a practical experience.

Upvote 0
FEBS said:
Glenn Bartley said:

Thank you!

Hi Glen,

I just did buy your ebook about flash photography. Great book. Just did look in a few minutes throughout your work. Nice documented wit a lot of nice photos. I will start reading it in the coming hours.

Thanks man for sharing such a practical experience.

Thanks for the support and kind words!

Upvote 0