Settings:
Focal: 35mm
Focus is on a Building 6 meters away.
V: 1/100
A: anyone you like up to f/10
ISO: 100
Stabilizer: ON
Shutter: Mechanical

With this configuration I’am having blur images all the time, even mounting the camera on a tripod.

If I change the speed to 1/200 the image is perfectly fine.

And the other odd thing is if I change the shutter to ELECTRONIC mode the image is perfectly fine at 1/100.

Can any of you confirm (or deny) this?

Many thanks!

Agustín

Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Woow you are right! At 1/30 the image is very sharp handheld. So is the IS of my lens bad?

It works as Canon intends it to work :(

I think it's bad, but so far only the 600mm F/4L III has had a firmware update to improve IS in that range. So Canon considers it good, unless many, many people make very visible complaints about it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I just confirmed. Exactly as OP describes.

However, this is not just an IBIS/IS issue. I'm finding that the blur at 1/100th happens when IBIS is off and Shutter Mode is Mechanical. As soon as I switch to EFCS, issue is not present.

Apparently it is a shutter shock issue, so IBIS cannot help. Maybe because the sensor is "floating"?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok, this might be an issue in the studio. I've always used mechanical shutter with strobes, often at 1/125th. Will have to start trying with EFCS to see if anything looks off. Yes, I can go up to 1/200th with strobes and flash, but sometimes a little lower shutter speed is good for ambient. ISO will work.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Just got off the phone with a Canon Pro Services tech. I am actually seeing the same effect on the R6 too, but not nearly as pronounced as on the R5, where it is clearly visible on the back LCD.

CPS techs now are working at home, but they call into higher level "engineers" who are "in the building." So I was not able to talk to the person doing the actual testing, but had to relay info through the tech who took my call.

Bottom line: The engineer set up an R5 with an Rf 24-70mm and shot at 1/100th with mechanical shutter and EFCS. He saw no difference. No blur or shutter shock evident. On a tripod. IBIS on, IBIS off.

I did NOT think to ask which firmware version his R5 had, but why would it not be the latest--unless they knew of issues with it already?

The tech said to send in the camera, but I pointed out that I'm seeing the same issue slightly on the R6 also.

My workaround is obvious. Use a higher shutter speed, and use a higher ISO to get there when shooting ambient indoors with artificial lighting. Still have to test with strobes, but when I do use strobes, the ambient light in my little space is either fairly dim window light or an LED that is hopefully too dim to be involved in the exposure.

Sigh. Always something! I don't think sending it in for service would fix anything, and I'm pretty sure replacing it would result in the same. It is so obvious when I test; why in the world doesn't CPS see the same?

Please, other R5 owners, try your camera at OP's settings and let us know. Also try the same without IBIS. Thanks!

Upvote 0

nitsuga

Canon R5
Nov 3, 2020
I just did a quick test on the R5 at 100 & 160 and am not noticing any blur on firmware 1.1.1 w/ mechanical shutter + ibis w/ my 70-200. Do you have 2 pictures showing the difference?
Sure, here they are:

Attachments

• electronic.jpg
    electronic.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 283
  • mechanical.jpg
    mechanical.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Sad
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
In addition to your post, my test was conducted with the RF 24-70 at 35mm, not the 70-200. Thanks!
I am seeing it in a range of focal lengths. I've tried 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm on the 24-70mm. All about the same. Doing a lot of things at once today, and will be working tomorrow, so not a lot of time to do exhaustive testing...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A little searching led to this Swedish photography site, here translated into English. Seems right on point. "Risk of Blur with Canon EOS R5"

(Leads to www.fotosidan.se)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nitsuga

Canon R5
Nov 3, 2020
A little searching led to this Swedish photography site, here translated into English. Seems right on point. "Risk of Blur with Canon EOS R5"

(Leads to www.fotosidan.se)
Well let’s hope for a new FW to come. Meanwhile we should choose the proper shutter every time...

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
In addition to your post, my test was conducted with the RF 24-70 at 35mm, not the 70-200. Thanks!

I don't have the 24-70 at this time (still holding out for a sale later this month), so could only shoot w/ what I had close to it. Other option was a 50mm... but felt the one I used was probably better to mimic as shutter shake on the ibis should really be noticeable with any lens.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I don't have the 24-70 at this time (still holding out for a sale later this month), so could only shoot w/ what I had close to it. Other option was a 50mm... but felt the one I used was probably better to mimic.
I don't think it is limited to a single lens, and definitely not a single focal length. But I'll take shots with different lenses just to check.

This seems to be related to the shutter shock and the way the sensor is mounted within the IBIS "cradle," or whatever the technical term might be. And, according to the article above, higher resolution makes the phenomenon (as Canon would call it!) more pronounced. It doesn't seem to matter if IBIS is turned on.

But the sensor must be kept stable during any type of shot, maybe just more rigidly when the IBIS is set to OFF. I mean the sensor wouldn't just be rattling around, right? So some type of passive stabilizing must be happening whenever the camera is on...unless it gets locked into place? But then why do we hear a rattle when the camera is powered off?

Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

Upvote 0