T3i - 600EX-RT or Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
Very new to all this. I bought a T3i for christmas but now want to get my first Flash. Right now I only want to buy 1 flash and later may add. If I go with 600EX-RT then buy more I know I will need the ST-E3-RT. Or is there something cheaper I could get?

If I go With the 580EX II then get another one what would I need to get both of them to work?

Which way do you think I should go? Amazon the 600EX-RT is cheaper, I know I can get good deal on ebay for 580EX II around $375 is what they been going for.

Sep 28, 2011
Kansas
Any of the speedlites that you can buy now will work as a slave flash using the built-in IR sensor. However it has its limitations. It doesn't work very well outside on a bright sunny day, it works best indoors, it HAS to have line-of-site with the master flash or controller. If you want to use an older flash but want a more reliable & powerful way of triggering the flashes there aftermarket radio transceivers that you can buy. The most popular radio transceiver brand is PocketWizard. You can take a look at them with the link below.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844969-REG/PocketWizard_801_130_Plus_III_Transceiver_Radio.html

I personally have two 600's with the controller. Honestly, it is a dream to use!! You can control everything from the camera without going to the speedlite & lowering the light stand down to you. It just makes it so simple & efficient. One advantage to the 600 over the 580 (aside from the radio control) is that it is more powerful & has a larger guide number.

600's are expensive, but not nearly as expensive once you start adding pocketwizards into the equation & considering the the advantages of the 600s system.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2011
Kansas
Actually the 600EX-RT can be used as a slave or a master. That means is that it can control or be controlled, so you might not ever need a ST-E3-RT & no you would NOT need any PocketWizards. Say you have two 600EX-RTs & one ST-E3-RT. With that setup if you need to use a speedlite on the camera you can use that flash plus control the other 600EX-RT that is placed somewhere off camera. You could also have both 600s off camera & control them with the ST-E3-RT, if you don't need a speedlite on the camera. Another VERY NICE feature is that the controls, buttons & menu on the ST-E3-RT is IDENTICAL to the 600EX-RT, so you only need to learn one menu system. If the speedlites give you enough power & recycle speed (which I assume in your case it will be plenty) then the 600s are the best, most controllable, easiest to use & most versatile system that you can buy into. Canon hit a homerun with this one!

P.S.- The ONLY way that Canon could have made this system better is if they would allow PocketWizard interconectability. That way you would be able to fire monolights or powerpacks from the same controller.

Upvote 0
I think the 600EX-RT is a ridiculous flash choice for a beginner.

I do paid portrait/wedding work with a 430EX II and two Yongnuo YN560 manual flashes, all of which cost me a total of $300. I also have a set of Phottix Strato II radio triggers but I find in a lot of situations I don't even need them because the YN560s have a reliable and very sensitive optical slave.

If you need a first flash to go with your T3i, the Canon 430EX II is the way to go. It's great because the T3i has an on-board master that can control the 430EX II in TTL mode! That is all you need to get started.

Then head on over to strobist.com and learn how to REALLY use flash. Once you decide it's time for some more flashes, pick up a couple manual flashes and some 3rd party radio triggers (the Phottix Strato IIs are awesome for manual work!) All of this for much less than the cost of a 600EX-RT and the ST-E3. If you REALLY need TTL (you don't) then Yongnuo has great TTL-capable radio trigger set and flashes as well (YN622 trigger for under $100 and the YN568 flash for under $200).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ksuweh said:
One advantage to the 600 over the 580 (aside from the radio control) is that it is more powerful & has a larger guide number.

Actually, it's not more powerful. It has a higher guide number because the head zooms to 200mm instead of 105mm, but the light output of the 600 is the same as the 580.

Wildfire said:

I agree with your easier-on-the-budget recommendations, but I'd stop short of calling a 600 'ridiculous' especially if the OP isn't too concerned about cost. The Canon RT system 'just works' - plug and play. But a pair of 430's and 'dumb' triggers is great to learn on. Only downside is if you get into modifiers, more power is nice.

Upvote 0
If the OP wasn't concerned about cost, don't you think he would have gotten a camera body that's better than a 2-generations-old Rebel?

I can see a working professional or someone who's serious about photography spending $1000 on a lighting setup (RT flash plus master unit). But for a beginner whose goal is to simply learn photography? Overkill.

I agree that the RT system would be awesome, but it's simply not worth the enormous cost if you just want to learn how to take photographs. Hell, I occasionally get paid for my photography and I still can't afford to buy a pair of 600EXs.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Wildfire said:

I do paid portrait/wedding work with a 430EX II and two Yongnuo YN560 manual flashes, all of which cost me a total of $300. I also have a set of Phottix Strato II radio triggers but I find in a lot of situations I don't even need them because the YN560s have a reliable and very sensitive optical slave.

If you need a first flash to go with your T3i, the Canon 430EX II is the way to go. It's great because the T3i has an on-board master that can control the 430EX II in TTL mode! That is all you need to get started.

Then head on over to strobist.com and learn how to REALLY use flash. Once you decide it's time for some more flashes, pick up a couple manual flashes and some 3rd party radio triggers (the Phottix Strato IIs are awesome for manual work!) All of this for much less than the cost of a 600EX-RT and the ST-E3. If you REALLY need TTL (you don't) then Yongnuo has great TTL-capable radio trigger set and flashes as well (YN622 trigger for under $100 and the YN568 flash for under $200).
For the price, assuming OP wanted to go older technology, the 580EX II is a superior choice over the 430EX II for power, guide number, flexibility, master/slave option.

Also if you use the Phottix Strato's and I had them initially and they do work wonderfully for manual flash, if you're going to suggest an upgrade to them, why not the Phottix Odin? They are superior to Yongnuo triggers all day long and I find the TTL in the Odins to work seamlessly with my Canon cameras. The Yongnuo triggers are sketchy at best if he wants to get long service out of them imho...

Upvote 0
I don't think the Canon ST-E3-RT will work on the Rebel. The full advantages of this latest flash system can only be realised with the 5D Mark III or the 1Dx. However, the 600EX-RT will work like the 580EX II with on camera flash & TTL metering etc. and wireless off camera flash through its line of sight light sensor. It just won't have the radio capability with the OP's Rebel.

Upvote 0
Well if you are strictly considering Canon's flashes - then I'd say take the latest version (600EX RT). However, if you are cost-conscious and don't mind of having different brands, then I'd suggest Yongnuo flashes coupled with its radio trigger (either Yongnuo or Cactus v5). You need to set the flash manually, but I believe it is a great way to learn.

Upvote 0
Krob78 said:
Also if you use the Phottix Strato's and I had them initially and they do work wonderfully for manual flash, if you're going to suggest an upgrade to them, why not the Phottix Odin? They are superior to Yongnuo triggers all day long and I find the TTL in the Odins to work seamlessly with my Canon cameras. The Yongnuo triggers are sketchy at best if he wants to get long service out of them imho...

The cost of the Odin system begins to approach that of the of RT system... Four YN622s cost $180, while one Odin transmitter w/three receivers costs $575.

If you're willing to shell out for TTL flashes and Odins, maybe the 600EX RT is the better way to go as you won't have to hassle with more batteries and separate triggers.

blackcat said:
I don't think the Canon ST-E3-RT will work on the Rebel. The full advantages of this latest flash system can only be realised with the 5D Mark III or the 1Dx. However, the 600EX-RT will work like the 580EX II with on camera flash & TTL metering etc. and wireless off camera flash through its line of sight light sensor. It just won't have the radio capability with the OP's Rebel.

The ST-E3-RT should work fine on the Rebel. Some features may not be available, but from what I've read, features that are only supposed to work on the 5D3 and 1DX actually do still work on older cameras like the 5D2 and Rebels, despite the fact that Canon's documentation says otherwise.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
blackcat said:

Think harder...or at least, smarter. Although there are a couple of minor limitations to the functionality of the new RT system on pre-2012 bodies (lower Xsync, no group flash), most of the radio triggering functions work just fine.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Think harder...or at least, smarter. Although there are a couple of minor limitations to the functionality of the new RT system on pre-2012 bodies (lower Xsync, no group flash), most of the radio triggering functions work just fine.

The loss off group flash is really hurting since this is one of the big advantages of the rt system, but the x-sync is said to be still at full speed for many camera bodies like 5d2 no matter what Canon says.

doogie said:
Well I bought the 600EX-RT and should get it tomorrow.

Just some advice from a fellow 600rt user:

* Immediately buy and read "Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites"
* Set the flash so you just need to turn the dial to adjust flash exposure compensation w/o pressing a button first, you'll want to change fec often
* Use manual zoom setting often, so only your subject is lit and not the surrounding area
* Learn to use m flash no matter how smart ettl is.
* Get a sto-fen type diffuser and a larger bounce card
* If you wantmore flashes (and you will) consider the cheaper Yongnuo flashes and radio triggers

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.