Tamron 17-50mm f/4 optical formula appears in latest patent

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Tamron is going to be announcing a 17-50mm f/4 lens some time this year going by the latest optical formula patent to appear. This patent looks pretty in-depth and that’s usually a sign of things to come. This optical formula is for full-frame sensors and the lens also has an internal zoom

See full article...

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Isn\'t this a rather weird focal range for a FF lens? 17-50mm seems more like a typical APSC type normal zoom.
The concept is probably that it’s a 17-35mm (or indeed Canon’s 17-40mm) ultrawide extended at the tele end. Rather useful to get all wide focal lengths in a single lens, really. Wouldn’t have been feasible on a SLR most likely.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
why is this being posted if its not for RF?
While the patent doesn't include mount specific info, Tamron already has a 17-70 in constant 2.8 for Sony and Fuji. Nikon has a 16-50 in variable aperture, so it does make sense that this patent will likely be for RF mount. We all know both Tamron and Sigma are eager to get into the game. This is another indicator its coming.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
While the patent doesn't include mount specific info, Tamron already has a 17-70 in constant 2.8 for Sony and Fuji. Nikon has a 16-50 in variable aperture, so it does make sense that this patent will likely be for RF mount. We all know both Tamron and Sigma are eager to get into the game. This is another indicator its coming.
Whether RF or EF, I believe, is dependent upon the back focus distance? So what is that for RF?

Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
Whether RF or EF, I believe, is dependent upon the back focus distance? So what is that for RF?
The Canon EOS RF mount has a 20 millimetre Flange Focal Distance (FFD a.k.a. Back Focus) whereas the older EF mount had a 44 millimetre FFD.

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Because it can be adapted and there are lots of people still using DSLR cameras. There's a big wide world out there. I think users here are atypical.

This is likely a mirrorless design lens; it cannot be adapted on any DSLR; it's DSLR lenses that can be adapted to mirrorless, but not the other way around.
And I'm pretty sure Tamron (or Sigma, or Canon, or Nikon, or any of the main competitors) is not going to release any new DSLR lens in any possible future; Canon released its last DSLR lens in 2018, 5 years ago...you won't see another, from nobody, DSLR tech is dead tech for the brand new stuff.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is likely a mirrorless design lens; it cannot be adapted on any DSLR; it's DSLR lenses that can be adapted to mirrorless, but not the other way around.
And I'm pretty sure Tamron (or Sigma, or Canon, or Nikon, or any of the main competitors) is not going to release any new DSLR lens in any possible future; Canon released its last DSLR lens in 2018, 5 years ago...you won't see another, from nobody, DSLR tech is dead tech for the brand new stuff.
Yup. I know RF can't be adapted to EF. That's a given.

Upvote 0
It seems premature to me; but let's hope so, because means that Canon will open the RF mount

I don't believe Canon "opens" mounts. It just enforces its intellectual property, particularly where it feels that another company's representation of 3rd party mount use would set a precedent limiting its future enforcement of its rights.

The big hubbub months ago about "Canon" in Germany throwing a sue-ball at a third party manufacturer for representations about the RF mount seemed to me to be less a lens mount issue and more of a trademark issue. The third party was representing the lens as being an RF compatible lens. But RF means more than just fitting on those three flanges. RF connotes certain communications advantages, etc. My sense from the little coverage we saw in 2022 on the issue was that Canon caught them up on advertising representations. This was supported by it being a suit in Germany that didn't involve patents, but rather trade practices.

There doesn't seem to be any legal issue with creating RF-fitting lenses, and there has never been an issue with using Canon's still-decent EF-mount-reverse-engineered autofocusing protocols, whether on RF or EF. I have a very fine 85mm f/1.4 third party RF lens that autofocuses great for portraits (not so much for sports). It cost me $450. I have the Canon EF 600mm f/4 III, and it focuses indistinguishably (for me at least) from the RF version.

Sigma and Tamron are so far choosing not to put EF autofocusing on RF mount mirrorless lens designs, which is interesting. Sigma's CEO has indicated for years that he'd like to put out RF-mountable lenses. There is the theoretical ability for Canon to produce new cameras that goof up EF protocols, but I think that unlikely. There is the possibility that Canon is rope-a-doping the third parties by negotiating RF autofocus access starting at some point in the future. Perhaps the simplest explanation is that the supply chain issues have allowed the lens makers to focus their limited manufacturing capacity on the sure-thing mounts.

Upshot: I think the camera forum consensus about the RF mount being closed is incorrect. More complicated, yes. Unexploited, certainly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Those are both APS-C. This is FF, so a very different lens.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Flange distance for RF is 20mm, but back focus can be less if the rear element protrudes behind the flange. From an optical physics perspective, this design should be applicable to any of the FF mirrorless mounts.

Upvote 0