Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
ruuneos said:
new-z said:
when this lens will be available, I hope to find a completed test which will compare theses standard zooms
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM II
- Tamron 24-70 L SP 2.8 VC
- Sigma 24-70 DG EX HSM
I'm pretty sure that we are going to see that battle at DigitalRev!
Look up "thatnikonguy" on youtube, he has down a reasonably extensive though non scientific comparison of most of these. I bought the tamron 24-70 2.8 VC last week, one of very few in AUS. I returned it due to it being a soft copy but some other stuff i noticed:
1. The VC has an activation delay. On my 24-105L the IS started as soon as i pressed the shutter, on the tamron it seems to not respond for a little under a second and then start working.
2. The vignetting is a non issue in the field.
3. The build is solid though only slightly less so than the canon 24-70 mkI
4. The AF is quick enough for anythign short of fast paced sport 1m from the camera.
5. The weight feels right on my gripped 5d, good balance.

Upvote 0
ruuneos said:
new-z said:
when this lens will be available, I hope to find a completed test which will compare theses standard zooms
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM
- Sigma 24-70 DG EX HSM
I'm pretty sure that we are going to see that battle at DigitalRev!

cant wait for that video!

i also hope sigma bring out a 24-70 OS that follows the build and quality of the 85 f1.4

Upvote 0
J

jaduffy007

new-z said:
- Canon 24-70 L 2.8 USM
- Sigma 24-70 DG EX HSM

Canon EOS 450D - Canon EF 70-200 L 2.8 - Canon 50 1.4
www.new-z.fr
www.premierephoto.net

"That Nikon Guy" on youtube has part of what you want, a Canon 24-70 L vs Tamron 24-70 VC comparison. Very in depth.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Yes, but also very amateur-like :)
I would also like to see some tests made with a stricter scientific approach.

Anyway, the idea I have made myself til now is: the Tamron is a tad better than the Canon MK1 (especially wide open), plus it has VC and it's cheaper. A clear winner here.
The Sigma is nice as well, very similar to the Canon in optical performance, although the Canon responds better to stopping down. The Sigma is the cheapest, but it's plagued by an awful bokeh. Tamron's bokeh is ok, but Canon's is still the best.

All in all, this Tamron lens seems a very smart purchase.

Upvote 0
jaduffy007 said:
"That Nikon Guy" on youtube has part of what you want, a Canon 24-70 L vs Tamron 24-70 VC comparison. Very in depth.

... though one doesn't necessarily has to agree with nikonguy's conclusion, nice videos, but he's very amateurish, I agre with Albi86 on that. Don't miss his bonus video "how to shoot a model" :)

Esp. him saying that the vc is great for handheld video - I could not second to that, because while the frame is more stable, it jumps around like with any IS, no substitute for stabilization gear. And he only tries very few "walk in the park" situations, so every potential Tamron buyer has to figure out how much the "onion" bokeh concerns his/her shots.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.