TEAC announces the development of TASCAM XLR audio adapter for Canon mirrorless cameras and others

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It's about time...Sony and Panasonic already have XLR shoe-mount adapters for their mirrorless cameras.
The Panasonic and Sony adapters are not 32-bit float. Though Sony does offer a wide range of accessories beyond merely XLR adapters. The thing that sucks about proprietary solutions is that you cannot use them on different camera brands. These Tascam adapters look like they will have swappable multi-shoe mounts, so one adapter can work between different brands. Just the multi-shoe interface would need to be purchased.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canons record raw internally, so why would anyone want the external recorder?
Loads of reasons! You can record externally in ProRes so you don‘t need to make proxy files to work with your glorious 8k RAW footage. You can also go past the 29:59 time limit as external recording has no time limit. You can also run the camera much cooler which lengthens time before overheat warnings and shutdown occur. Much cheaper storage solutions. Full dual medium backup to two different sources.

If you have an R5 8k or 4kHQ workflow then an Atomos V+ would be a major functionality improvement.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Loads of reasons! You can record externally in ProRes so you don‘t need to make proxy files to work with your glorious 8k RAW footage. You can also go past the 29:59 time limit as external recording has no time limit. You can also run the camera much cooler which lengthens time before overheat warnings and shutdown occur. Much cheaper storage solutions. Full dual medium backup to two different sources.

If you have an R5 8k or 4kHQ workflow then an Atomos V+ would be a major functionality improvement.
Sorry my bad, I thought you where referring to the R3. If so, we do not know that any of the limitations of the R5 are continued in the R3.

• Is there a recording limit?

• With the larger body, a brand new sensor design and lower resolution, will overheating be an issue?

• We also do not know how this files will playback on modern computers.

Personally, if a camera needs to be rigged with an external monitor/recorder, batteries and cables etc, it becomes something that I’ll be much less likely to carry frequently. Just the idea of having hdmi cables to deal with is intolerable. If you’re going that route better to have SDI.

I’m hoping an external monitor recorder is totally unnecessary for the R3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Sorry my bad, I thought you where referring to the R3. If so, we do not know that any of the limitations of the R5 are continued in the R3.

• With the larger body, a brand new sensor design and lower resolution, will overheating be an issue?

Personally, if a camera needs to be rigged with an external monitor/recorder, batteries and cables etc, it becomes something that I’ll be much less likely to carry frequently. Just the idea of having hdmi cables to deal with is intolerable. If you’re going that route better to have SDI.

We dont know much. Canon is playing games with the info right now. We are just making educated guesses. If Canon removes the limit that will be a surprise. It still could overheat if it is weather sealed and has no active cooling unless technology gotten better.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

No need to apologize, miscommunication is way too easy via the forums! I have certainly been just as guilty of misunderstandings before.

But I think all the reasons to use an Atamos V on an R6 would stand up for reasons to use one on an R3. It isn't a necessity, but the more you use one for video the more an external monitor/recorder makes sense.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just skimming things now, but does this mean we now know what the special feature of the R3 hot shoe is? I'm guessing it does.

I'm also hoping this means that the R3 announcement and release will be coming sooner rather than later. Crossing fingers for an early September announcement with an end of Sept. availability.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Just skimming things now, but does this mean we now know what the special feature of the R3 hot shoe is? I'm guessing it does.

I'm also hoping this means that the R3 announcement and release will be coming sooner rather than later. Crossing fingers for an early September announcement with an end of Sept. availability.
Well we know one use for the new hotshoe terminal. We also know it can send power to a mounted device and it can receive audio data from a mounted device, I’d be very surprised if that was all though. I’m sure it will be capable of carrying a video signal too.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why do they still have this 30 min limit??

Don't other brands of cameras go without these limits?
The last time I checked there was still an E.U. tax but it was only 5%.
I don't think Canon can get away with changing the record limit in existing models.
However, they should get rid of it for any video-focused models.
Panasonic and Sony have.

Upvote 0
Why do they still have this 30 min limit??

Don't other brands of cameras go without these limits?
Why? Because it's not an technical issue, but an tax issue. A Camera capable of recording 30min and above at once are considered "Videocameras", which means higher taxes. That's why most "Photo" -cameras with video capabilities stop at 29:59!
Those taxes don't exist everywhere, but as far as I know, no manufacture bothers to release different versions for different countries - especially since a lot of photographers regularly are crossing borders with their cameras, which could lead to problems.

Cameras without those limits are taxed that way.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
If they don't mention it then it is safe to assume there is a limit.
Unlimited recording would be something to brag about.
Someone had better tell Sony. They do not seem to be bragging about unlimited record times.
IMO unlimited recording time is expected. Camcorders from 30 years ago did not even have recording limits. The silly tax penalty ended years ago. No artificial limits.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0