The best tripod ...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

In so many words, what do you guys make of this?

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D , so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

Looking at your gear I would too invest in a good tripod. Did you consider Really Right Stuff or Gitzo?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DaveMiko said:
From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands...

I'm afraid that your understanding is incorrect. ;)

Generally speaking, the best tripod legs are made Gitzo and Really Right Stuff. The best ballheads are made by Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Markins, Acratech, and Arca Swiss (but not Gitzo - if you get Gitzo legs, get someone else's head).

Manfrotto and Induro offer good value (performance for a given cost). Manfrotto's legs are good, I'd avoid most of their ballheads (with the exception of the 468MG), and if you do go that road, make sure you get one that can be converted to use an Arca Swiss-type clamp, since that offers compatibilty with good L-brackets, macro rails, etc.

Gitzo and RRS are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Thom Hogan offers some advice along those lines:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Upvote 0
candyman said:
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D , so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

Looking at your gear I would too invest in a good tripod. Did you consider Really Right Stuff or Gitzo?

No, I didn't. From what I've read, I understand that Manfrotto and Induro offer the best quality in terms of sturdiness and strength.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
DaveMiko said:
From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands...

Generally speaking, the best tripod legs are made Gitzo and Really Right Stuff. The best ballheads are made by Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Markins, Acratech, and Arca Swiss (but not Gitzo - if you get Gitzo legs, get someone else's head).

Manfrotto and Induro offer good value (performance for a given cost). Manfrotto's legs are good, I'd avoid most of their ballheads (with the exception of the 468MG), and if you do go that road, make sure you get one that can be converted to use an Arca Swiss-type clamp, since that offers compatibilty with good L-brackets, macro rails, etc.

I trust your expertise in the matter, Neuro. :) I'll look at the brands you (and the previous guy, too) mentioned. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
DaveMiko said:
No, I didn't. From what I've read, I understand that Manfrotto and Induro offer the best quality in terms of sturdiness and strength.

Read more.

Also, don't use manufacturer's load ratings as a guideline, they are useful for comparison within a brand, but effectively meaningless for comparison across brands. A Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is rated for 17 lbs - does that mean it can hold 17 lbs without breaking, hold 17 lbs with complete stability and no vibration, or something in between?

The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make. It's rated for 25 lbs. That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative.

index.php

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
DaveMiko said:

Read more.

Also, don't use manufacturer's load ratings as a guideline, they are useful for comparison within a brand, but effectively meaningless for comparison across brands. A Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is rated for 17 lbs - does that mean it can hold 17 lbs without breaking, hold 17 lbs with complete stability and no vibration, or something in between?

The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make. It's rated for 25 lbs. That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative.

index.php

:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

From my experience Neuro's comments are spot on!
I am a great fan of Gitzo tripods as here in the UK they offer excellent backup/spares service as well as some of the best tripods going. Unfortunately RRS products are difficult to find here and hideously expensive so your decision may depend on where you live - either are excellent.
Your gear list suggests that it would be a mistake to skimp on your support so I would strongly suggest you only look at the Gitzo/RRS range of tripods. There are some good alternatives but you have some of the best gear going so why compromise?
Heads are a very personal choice and depend very much on what you want to photograph. I use Ball heads, Gimbals and Geared heads depending on what I am doing. For general use a good ball head is hard to beat but make certain you get one that locks securely without any creep/droop. This does not necessarily mean an expensive one, but generally the good ones cost more. One exception is the little Triopo RS3 which is the smoothest, best locking ball head I have yet tried and will hold any Canon lens - well maybe not a 1200 F5.6! As Neuro suggests I would avoid Manfrotto ball heads and all Gitzo heads.
For your 300 F2.8 I would suggest a good quality Gimbal head such as the Wimberley 2 as it offers great support/rigidity with the freedom of movement to track moving subjects.
Let us know a little more about your specific interests/requirements and budget and I am sure the suggestions will flow in.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
DaveMiko said:
neuroanatomist said:
DaveMiko said:

I trust your expertise in the matter, Neuro. :) I'll look at the brands you (and the previous guy, too) mentioned. :)

As the owner of an Induro CF tripod allow me to say that Neuroanatomist hits the nail right on the head. I love my Induro but it is not the same level as Gitzo or RRS and that is what I would have if my financial situation allowed. And arcaswiss compatible head is the only way to go. I have used other systems in the past and they can't compare. Buy the best now so you don't have to spend more in the future.

Upvote 0
I have spent a ton of money on various tripods and heads. I always thought I could get the right stuff for less dollars. I never did. Gitzo and Really Right Stuff legs are miles ahead. I currently have 3 RRS and 1 Gitzo. I have had every brand in the catalog, but these two outperforms everything. Yes they are expensive, but it is well worth it.

For your lens lineup, you need a good ball head and a gimbal. I got the RRS BH-55 head, which I highly recommend. For gimbal, I would look at the Wimberley Gimbal II. Excellent head. I had it, sold it and regret doing so. My current solution is not as good.

Upvote 0
DaveMiko said:
I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head... when I started thinking about tripods and heads.

You have two super-telephotos and you are just thinking of tripods? Do you mostly use monopods, or are you really strong? I am frankly quite surprised.
In these forums, people start looking for tripods as soon as they order their first telephoto (I know I would).
I am sure you will choose nothing but the best considering the quality (and heft) of your gear.

Upvote 0
Be leery of people on the Internets Tubes giving you advice on how to spend *your* money. ;D

Concerning tripods, like other photographic equipment, there is no best. There is only what is good for what purposes it is to be used. Not every photographer uses a tripod for exactly the same purposes as every other photographer. What is more important to you, concerning a tripod:

- lightness
- packability
- weight capacity
- sturdy
- price
- brand name

One tripod may not be able to satisify all these legitimate criteria. Like everything else in photography, there is a compromise. First I would suggest you identify those characteristics of tripods that are important to you and those that are less important to you. That will put you in a better position to determine not what is the best tripod out there, but what the best tripod for *you* is out there.

The most expensive trendy brand name tripod may not be the best for you. After all, it will be *you* spending *your* money.

Good luck with it. A tripod is not a decision to be taken lightly or made quickly.

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

For studio use or for travel? Two totally different setups imo

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I have three tripods myself.... one was selected as it is light enough to be carried backpacking. (gotta love carbon fibre). The other tripod is very heavy and super-stable. The third tripod weighs over 50 pounds and has a tracking head for astronomy...

The point being, there is no such thing as a tripod that does everything well. Even the choice between lightweight and heavy has tradeoffs... No matter how well constructed a carbon fibre tripod is, sometimes you need mass for stability, particularly when shooting in wind.... but are you going to carry that heavy tripod on a 2 week hike????

Upvote 0
A tripod was the hardest choice I ever had in camera gear. Every other decision was easy in comparison, but buying my 'good' tripod was nerve wracking.

As others have mentioned what is important to one person may not be to another. I need light because I will hike with it. I don't have large lenses for the same reason. Hence since someone was mentioning gimbals heads what I got and like a lot might be useless for you.

If you have expensive gear, get a good tripod. Personally I don't even think Manfroto are good value, but that's a personal thing.

Good luck.

Ed.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. I want a new tripod to hold the gear I'm using but I seems to not be able to find the balance between lightweight and holding capacity and price. Although all of these combined usually equal expensive.

I just posted a new topic the other day. Has anyone got an opinion on the Manfrotto 190 view magfibre tripod?
Or the three legged thing tripods?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gshocked said:
I'm in the same boat. I want a new tripod to hold the gear I'm using but I seems to not be able to find the balance between lightweight and holding capacity and price. Although all of these combined usually equal expensive.

Stable. Lightweight. Inexpensive. You can have up to two of those characteristics in a tripod, but not all three.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
gshocked said:

Stable. Lightweight. Inexpensive. You can have up to two of those characteristics in a tripod, but not all three.

+1 exactly right...

Upvote 0