The best tripod ...

Keem said:
For tripods stability, portability (size&weight), cost and capacity are the main factors to consider and generally you should find you own balance.

I use Sirui T-2005x or T-005x (for APS-C cameras/small lenses) for travel; and Manfrotto 055XB for general use.

For the tripod heads, I have used both ball head and geared types. Ball heads allow faster positioning but if you are into high-precision positioning (like in the case of macro-photography) you should consider geared heads like:

- Manfrotto: 410 or 405 (I personally use 410 and very happy with it.
- Manfrotto: XPRO-3 (not a real geared head but friction controlled)

I find the quick release of Manfrotto more practical (spesifically faster) than the Arca-Swiss types. Just my 2 cents.

Do you know Berlebach, a german manufacturer of wooden tripods (which is a great and traditional material for tripods since it dampens vibrations very well):

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=produkte&kategorie=1&sprache=english

I have the precursor of this one: http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=265&sprache=english since years and I am very satisfied.

Upvote 0
lo lite said:
Keem said:
For tripods stability, portability (size&weight), cost and capacity are the main factors to consider and generally you should find you own balance.

I use Sirui T-2005x or T-005x (for APS-C cameras/small lenses) for travel; and Manfrotto 055XB for general use.

For the tripod heads, I have used both ball head and geared types. Ball heads allow faster positioning but if you are into high-precision positioning (like in the case of macro-photography) you should consider geared heads like:

- Manfrotto: 410 or 405 (I personally use 410 and very happy with it.
- Manfrotto: XPRO-3 (not a real geared head but friction controlled)

I find the quick release of Manfrotto more practical (spesifically faster) than the Arca-Swiss types. Just my 2 cents.

Do you know Berlebach, a german manufacturer of wooden tripods (which is a great and traditional material for tripods since it dampens vibrations very well):

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=produkte&kategorie=1&sprache=english

I have the precursor of this one: http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=265&sprache=english since years and I am very satisfied.

they look interesting indeed! :) thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
neuroanatomist said:
Keem said:

There are lever-release Arca-Swiss clamps that are just as fast. IMO, the issues with Manfrotto plates/clamps are:

• The RC2 system has play when 'locked down'. There's a secondary locking pin, so the clamp is plenty secure, but the plate can move within the clamp which makes precise positioning a challenge.
  • The RC0/RC4 systems lock with no play, but the plates are big - they stick out beyond the edges of a camera body, which isn't good ergonomically.
  • The Manfrotto L-bracket offerings, to be blunt, suck. Since their clamps are proprietary and require Manfrotto plates, you cannot use the good L-brackets from other vendors (Kirk, RRS, etc.).
  • In addition to L-brackets, there are many other AS-compatible mount options – lens plates and replacement feet, macro rails, etc., none of which work with Manfrotto clamps.

Their geared heads are very nice, though. Ball heads less so, with the exception of the 468MG (ideally with a Wimberley, RRS or Kirk clamp mounted on it).

I'm very glad to have read that. This isn't my post, but Thank You to all who are contributing with practical advice. Its still difficult to choose the right balance. Thank You also to the original poster for starting this increadibly useful thread.

In recent days I had been considering the Manfotto 190 and ball head, but now I'm thinking again. Are the 057 ball heads better?

Alternatively, I might think about the Manfrotto 190CX, but with Gitzo head. I'm not up for carrying the Gitzo legs I had first been investigating on line.

Paul

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
e17paul said:
In recent days I had been considering the Manfotto 190 and ball head, but now I'm thinking again. Are the 057 ball heads better?

Alternatively, I might think about the Manfrotto 190CX, but with Gitzo head. I'm not up for carrying the Gitzo legs I had first been investigating on line.

While Manfrotto's legs are good and Gitzo's legs are excellent, I would really advise avoiding ballheads from Manfrotto and Gitzo. Both of them (they're the same company, incidentally) use proprietary quick release clamp/plate systems that aren't compatible with the useful array of accessories available for the Arca Swiss system (notably L-brackets). Some Manfrotto/Gitzo heads can be converted with a replacement clamp, but the cost of those heads plus a good AS clamp gets you close to or into the range of a better ballhead that's already AS compatible. For 'moderate' duty (up to 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 sized lenses), look at the RRS BH-40, Kirk BH-3, Markins Q3, or Acratech GV2.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
Their geared heads are very nice, though. Ball heads less so, with the exception of the 468MG (ideally with a Wimberley, RRS or Kirk clamp mounted on it).
If I had to do it over again, I would have kept the 468MG and put a RRS lever release clamp on it. The RRS BH-55 ballhead is nice, but in many ways I regret selling it as the Manfrotto holds just as well if not better and doesn't have the unwelcome quirks like the dual slots in (for me) a really poor spot. The RRS head isn't as smooth as the Manfrotto, either. I guess I was expecting more given the price, but it's really not any better than the Manfrotto and I feel that the RRS head is quite overpriced for what you get. You pay an awful lot for the pretty CNC machining. On the other hand, I don't miss getting the hook-shaped-handle snagged on everything about 20x during each shoot.

I bought the Arca Swiss Z1 after reading the review on TDP and elsewhere, and I think it has been largely ignored, probably due to the poor marketing of the company.
It is cheaper, lighter, bears more weight than the BH-55, and I really appreciate the non-spherical ball which prevents the head from dropping off to the side. It's also rock solid.
If you get the Z1 get it without the quick release clamp, though, and replace it with a Wimberley (actually tripodhead.com sells it with the replacement clamp). The original one is too high for their pointless double decker system and the lever can be quirky at times.
The othe reason I didn't like the RRS is because their lever release doesn't have a locking mechanism. I've never used it so it's probably pretty safe anyway, but I like to have some added insurance, just in case.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
The othe reason I didn't like the RRS is because their lever release doesn't have a locking mechanism. I've never used it so it's probably pretty safe anyway, but I like to have some added insurance, just in case.

I've never inadvertently opened mine. Also, the RRS lever has a two-position throw, at 90° the clamp is opened sufficiently for a plate to slide through the clamp but not be lifted out, so if your plate has safety stop screws (my lens plates do, my 1D X L-bracket does not), they will remain in the clamp with it opened halfway. The lever needs to be opened to 180° to remove a plate with safety stops.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:

I've never inadvertently opened mine. Also, the RRS lever has a two-position throw, at 90° the clamp is opened sufficiently for a plate to slide through the clamp but not be lifted out, so if your plate has safety stop screws (my lens plates do, my 1D X L-bracket does not), they will remain in the clamp with it opened halfway. The lever needs to be opened to 180° to remove a plate with safety stops.

I am sure it is very safe. Without using it, it is hard to tell. For example, I used to worry about the knob-style clamps coming undone accidentally, until I bought the Wimberley C-10. I'll never worry about it coming undone by itself.

The Arca Swiss is adjustable, but if I adjust it so that I can slide the plates out at 90 degrees, then they can still be pushed out (granted, with some effort) at full clamp- especially with the lens plate. So I err on the other side and tighten it further- but then always have to open the clamp 180 degrees to move the camera/lens.
It's not a big deal though.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I had the same concerns with the RRS lever, but haven't had any issues. The lever wraps around the clamp so it doesn't get snagged on anything. Acra-tech makes a lever clamp with a locking mechanism, so you might look there if it's a concern that you can't put aside.

Personally, I'm happy with the Arca Swiss as it is. But for someone looking for a ball-head- while I wholeheartedly recommend the Z1, I'd advise getting a Wimberley or RRS clamp fitted.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
neuroanatomist said:
e17paul said:

While Manfrotto's legs are good and Gitzo's legs are excellent, I would really advise avoiding ballheads from Manfrotto and Gitzo. Both of them (they're the same company, incidentally) use proprietary quick release clamp/plate systems that aren't compatible with the useful array of accessories available for the Arca Swiss system (notably L-brackets). Some Manfrotto/Gitzo heads can be converted with a replacement clamp, but the cost of those heads plus a good AS clamp gets you close to or into the range of a better ballhead that's already AS compatible. For 'moderate' duty (up to 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 sized lenses), look at the RRS BH-40, Kirk BH-3, Markins Q3, or Acratech GV2.

Thanks for that. I had already started coming around to the idea that whilst the legs are important, the real challenge is identifying the right head. These can also be surprisingly heavy to the tripod virgin like me. perhaps not heavy in use, but every kg in the backpack makes a difference whether flying or walking.

I'm put off the RRS products unless I can find a UK stockist, so avoiding UK post office customs. They are slow, Im waiting for a Lenscoat that was mailed a week or two back. I will check out the others, and look again at 3 legged thing, just for the head. My heaviest lens is a 70-300L, so the 'moderate' duty heads should be the right balance.

Paul

Upvote 0
e17paul said:
Thanks for that. I had already started coming around to the idea that whilst the legs are important, the real challenge is identifying the right head.
Here's about the only head-to-head (pun intended) comparison I've seen of the major tripod heads, which was published, but not done, by DPReview:
Battle of the titans: Top ball heads tested
It's not the definitive review, but it's pretty well done and will give you a feel for the different heads.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
e17paul said:
My heaviest lens is a 70-300L, so the 'moderate' duty heads should be the right balance.

As long as the quality is good, I agree. One point about the 70-300L is that it's a pretty heavy lens – I think it may be the heaviest current Canon lens that does not come with a tripod collar (if not the heaviest, then it's close). Unless you've sprung for the (damn expensive) Canon Tripod Ring C, or a cheaper 3rd party version, when mounted via a body plate the 70-300L will be quite front-heavy, which puts stress on a ballhead.

Personally, I did get the Tripod Ring C (WII), and it does provide a better balance on a tripod. Even with a ballhead that can handle the load (as my BH-55 LR certainly can), having an off-center load increases the chances of vibration. The effects of vibration become more evident as focal length increases, so an off-center load with a 300mm lens is not a good combo, IMO. The other benefit I find with the tripod ring is that when handholding (which is how I mostly use the lens), it allows me to support the lens with my hand on the tripod foot. That's beneficial not for the support, but because it puts my fingers further out on the lens barrel by default – the 'reversed' order of the focus/zoom rings on the 70-300L (relative to most other L zooms) means when handholding with my typical grip, I'm grabbing the focus ring instead of the zoom ring for the 70-300L.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Here's about the only head-to-head (pun intended) comparison I've seen of the major tripod heads, which was published, but not done, by DPReview:
It's not the definitive review, but it's pretty well done and will give you a feel for the different heads.

No Markins? No Kirk? You can tell those guys aren't US nature photographers, where it's RRS, Kirk, Markins and Arca and everything else is a fringe or knock-off product.

Upvote 0
wsheldon said:
mackguyver said:

No Markins? No Kirk? You can tell those guys aren't US nature photographers, where it's RRS, Kirk, Markins and Arca and everything else is a fringe or knock-off product.
I think the guy acknowledged that he had trouble trying to get review samples (given that he's not a professional reviewer), but unless there's another review of this type, I'm afraid that the only one of it's kind.

Maybe someone needs to start a tripod / tripod head & accessory review site. I know when I started shopping for one, I couldn't find much at all on the web.

Here's one more suggestion that I read many years after doing much the same as Thom Hogan :(:
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mackguyver said:
Maybe someone needs to start a tripod / tripod head & accessory review site. I know when I started shopping for one, I couldn't find much at all on the web.

Here's one more suggestion that I read many years after doing much the same as Thom Hogan :(:

Bryan at TDP has posted reviews of several tripods and ballheads. Unfortunately, he does not post reviews of any RRS gear (he uses plenty of it, as you can tell from the pictures in his various reviews, but because RRS sells only direct, their products don't generate revenue for TDP).

I agree with the principle of Thom Hogan's argument, although not really with his numbers. He seems to assume that gear you upgrade from will be tossed in a closet or thrown away. Granted, it's pretty hard to offload that $40 pan-tilt tripod you bought at Target, but if you buy decent although not top-shelf gear (Manfrotto, Benro, Induro), those can be sold on Craigslist without losing too much of your original purchase price.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

Bryan at TDP has posted reviews of several tripods and ballheads. Unfortunately, he does not post reviews of any RRS gear (he uses plenty of it, as you can tell from the pictures in his various reviews, but because RRS sells only direct, their products don't generate revenue for TDP).

I agree with the principle of Thom Hogan's argument, although not really with his numbers. He seems to assume that gear you upgrade from will be tossed in a closet or thrown away. Granted, it's pretty hard to offload that $40 pan-tilt tripod you bought at Target, but if you buy decent although not top-shelf gear (Manfrotto, Benro, Induro), those can be sold on Craigslist without losing too much of your original purchase price.
Good points and I've noticed the same about Brian's RRS gear in his photos, but without an affiliate program, he's not able to do much on his site. Thom is definitely an unapologetic & opinionated Nikon guy, but I like a lot of what he writes about. The other flaw in his argument is for new photographers who aren't sure about dropping $1500+ on a tripod & head alone makes sense until they are sure they love photography.

Upvote 0
My 2 cents...

When I was buying a ballhead I was deciding between BH-55 and Z1. I was able to look the Z1 in the store, but couldn't see BH-55, because there isn't any store which has them near my home (in the EU). Z1 looked nice, but at the end I decides to order BH-55, because I read more good things about it than Z1. And now I'm glad that I decided for BH-55, mainly because of good, large knobs and excellent lever release clamp. Otherwise, I'm sure that Z1 is also amazing bullhead too. I took a lever release clamp which has built in panning base, and it is quite useful when shooting for panoramas.

I was deciding between lever-release and screw-knob clamp, too. I was in doubt how sturdy the lever release is, but now I am very satisfied with it. I couldn't be more. ;)

And I bought also L plate for gripped 5D3 and it fits perfectly on it.

Upvote 0
climber said:
My 2 cents...

When I was buying a ballhead I was deciding between BH-55 and Z1. I was able to look the Z1 in the store, but couldn't see BH-55, because there isn't any store which has them near my home (in the EU). Z1 looked nice, but at the end I decides to order BH-55, because I read more good things about it than Z1. And now I'm glad that I decided for BH-55, mainly because of good, large knobs and excellent lever release clamp. Otherwise, I'm sure that Z1 is also amazing bullhead too. I took a lever release clamp which has built in panning base, and it is quite useful when shooting for panoramas.

I was deciding between lever-release and screw-knob clamp, too. I was in doubt how sturdy the lever release is, but now I am very satisfied with it. I couldn't be more. ;)

And I bought also L plate for gripped 5D3 and it fits perfectly on it.
I miss being able to try camera gear in the store, but the nearest one for me is a 4 hour drive...and I have the BH-55 and 5DIII L-plate as well - it's a great combo.

From all I've read and heard, I think that just about any brand name ballhead over US$250-300 is going to be good. Each may have its quirks, but the only bad stories I've ever heard were about the old Arca Swiss B1 head freezing up.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:

Same here. I sold my first 2 Bogen/Manfrotto tripods/heads, a small Kirk head, and most recently a set of 2-series Gitzo legs for 70-90% initial cost after using them for a couple of years, so the financial side of his argument is over-stated. His guidelines on tripod/head functionality and buying advice is otherwise good, though.

Upvote 0
Just over 40 years ago I bought a Leitz Tilt-all. It was strong enough, sturdy enough, versatile enough, light enough, and, though expensive at the time, is still used on a weekly basis. I've looked at others since I bought it, but I never find one that I prefer. I know Leitz sold out some years ago, but I think the tripod is still made and available. Oh, when I
bought a small digital point and shoot, I bought one of those "inexpensive" Manfrotto offerings. It turned out to be a
piece of junk - never buy a tripod with plastic clips to hold the legs - and lasted less than six months.

Upvote 0