The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

Jan 22, 2012
I can’t deal with more megapixels. Memory cards already cost a fortune. My computer is bogged down with large files. How far can this go?
The most common reaction when high MP cameras are announced. I totally understand. But somehow eventually many want to get it. Me, personally, think 45 mpx is enough. But times change - computers become more powerful, HDD's continue to become cheaper. And with such high MP, we do not have to shoot bursts....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
There are different types of professionals with different priorities. What would you choose if you needed a full frame hybrid camera with IBIS that recorded 10bit 4K at least at 60fps?

If 12 is acceptable, then this is CLEARLY not the camera for you, and you're in the position of the guy who wants a Chevy Truck logging onto a Corvette forum and complaining about its cargo capacity.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
90mp sounds great, but will there ever be something for hybrid shooters? )= the window for switching to RF is closing for me and I know many others have already gone the a7S III route ... I doubt C70 will have photo capabilities / full frame and Canon is silent on the R5 issues ... gonna wait till October and pull the trigger on whatever works best for me ... really wish there was a capable RF hybrid camera, but otherwise a7S III and upcoming full frame FX6 might also do the job.
There is, it's just not for your needs, like for my needs 12mp is utter trash

Upvote 0
Honestly, this sounds like the one for me as far as rumours go. Hopefully there's some truth to it! 90mp is certainly overkill for most people, but not all cameras are made for every use case and this certainly sounds like a specialized tool. Looking forward to learning the fine details as they become available.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Is it ?

I run two 5DSs because after getting the first one I always want two identical cameras. However I'm beginning to think maybe I should have got a 5DIV.

The high mp, ultra high resolution crammed into a FF size sensor can cause problems. Diffraction becomes an issue at some practical apertures on the 5DS, with the resolution / definition falling off a cliff after f/11 on standardish focal lengths. Shoot the 5DS with a good quality lens and a solid tripod in the f/4 - f/5.6 region and the results at full output size are stunningly good, but shoot at f/13 and it's a different story with the full size image looking like you've applied a huge amount of luminous noise reduction. I'm not sure at what aperture a 90mp sensor is going to have the same problem, but if it's into the f/8 region then that really is going to impinge on practically when aiming for the full technical quality the camera is theoretically capable of. For those that think a very high mp camera suffering from severe diffraction is going to be better than a diffraction free 'low' mp one when downsampled, I can assure you it isn't. So TS-E lenses on standby for landscapes with the FF 90mp camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
90MP is Ok, but I'd like to see sensor shift multi-shot as well. Just under 400 MP :)
For anyone concerned about card size/file size/shooting speed/ 'too many' MP/Video performance/ etc. etc. etc. please move on, this is not the camera you were looking for...
The problem with sensor shift technology is it is always going to have the same potential issues any multi shot solution will have only more so, if alignment isn't perfect at the pixel level you get a sharpness and detail tradeoff. Great for product and still life work, not so good for landscapes and portraits with any movement at all. I'd take stitching over pixel shifting any day.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I would have been happy with the R5 with a 35MP (or so) sensor. As such this is not just "too much" but it's also got a viable alternative that is less "too much": the R5. So no reason for me to get this.

But this is great news for those who need/want a megapixel beast! I'm still guessing it will be a pixel density consistent with the M 6II and 90 D, which would be (if I recall correctly) 83MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
The problem with sensor shift technology is it is always going to have the same potential issues any multi shot solution will have only more so, if alignment isn't perfect at the pixel level you get a sharpness and detail tradeoff. Great for product and still life work, not so good for landscapes and portraits with any movement at all. I'd take stitching over pixel shifting any day.
The biggest problem I see with the current implementation of pixel shift for product and still life is basically all (maybe not Olympus) only allow pixel shifting under ambient lighting and not flash rendering it very limiting for evem those subjects.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The biggest problem I see with the current implementation of pixel shift for product and still life is basically all (maybe not Olympus) only allow pixel shifting under ambient lighting and not flash rendering it very limiting for evem those subjects.

Yowza, as I was reading this I never considered flash...would you need four pulses of flash to do this right?

Upvote 0
If 12 is acceptable, then this is CLEARLY not the camera for you, and you're in the position of the guy who wants a Chevy Truck logging onto a Corvette forum and complaining about its cargo capacity.
Taken out of context – I was saying that many of my hybrid-shooting colleagues chose the 12MP compromise over completely non-functioning camera in most cases. I did not complain about this upcoming camera, just wondering if Canon is planning to also deliver on their promise for hybrid shooters.

There is, it's just not for your needs, like for my needs 12mp is utter trash
There is an RF camera that shoots full frame with IBIS and does 10bit 4K?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
No, but it will probably overheat in about 30 seconds, so you have to compose the photo really fast!

Of course, the memory card will be full in 15 seconds, so it doesn't really matter...

Reminds me of the Top Gear review on Veyron top speed. He was driving at ~400km/h and said to camera "At this speed, the tires only last 15 minutes. But it doesn't matter, the fuel tank lasts only 12 minutes"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I would have been happy with the R5 with a 35MP (or so) sensor. As such this is not just "too much" but it's also got a viable alternative that is less "too much": the R5. So no reason for me to get this.

But this is great news for those who need/want a megapixel beast! I'm still guessing it will be a pixel density consistent with the M 6II and 90 D, which would be (if I recall correctly) 83MP.
I'd be fascinated to see a comparison of the M6II with the 32mm shot at f/5.6 and f/11 ! Give an idea of how the 90mp FF camera would handle smaller apertures !

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Reminds me of the Top Gear review on Veyron top speed. He was driving at ~400km/h and said to camera "At this speed, the tires only last 15 minutes. But it doesn't matter, the fuel tank lasts only 12 minutes"

Hence pit crews doing the fastest tire changes you've ever seen.

I was helping a show set up one time and realized I had left the exhibitor packets at home. I got into my car, had to put air in the tire once, then when it went flat again did a tire change in about three minutes WITHOUT power tools. I made it back to the show, drenched in sweat. They had only had to wait about 35 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd be fascinated to see a comparison of the M6II with the 32mm shot at f/5.6 and f/11 ! Give an idea of how the 90mp FF camera would handle smaller apertures !

In principle two pictures taken from the same location with the same focal length, aperture, shutter and ISO should look identical--once you crop the FF one. Any difference seen consistently would have to be better/worse sensor.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
im guessing if i have to ask the price i can't afford it but would 10 grand usd be out of the realms ?

I doubt that--it would then be more expensive than the 1 series, which is supposed to be the "king" or flagship. (The 1 series is actually worse for my purposes than the R5...I'm always happy to find myself preferring the less expensive item for reasons other than the price!)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0