The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

it really depends on the amount of noise and how much data you lose to noise. I haven't seen anywhere that the cameras need 16 bit ADC's yet.

Did some homework and found this, a good discussion on bit depth: https://petapixel.com/2018/09/19/8-12-14-vs-16-bit-depth-what-do-you-really-need/. So yeah, never mind the 16 bits.

But I'd love to see an R5s built purposely for studio and tripod use (architectural). We've got a beautiful camera now (R5) for super versatility, but I think there's more than a couple of us who would buy one that's aimed at super image-quality above all else; meaning speed, video and even the holy IBIS are not required. Sure that's a niche relative to the R5's mass appeal, but it's a niche that Hasselblad and Phase One occupy with some success. I bet Canon could do it AND charge less than $30 grand for one. And isn't that the path a 90MP camera is headed down?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wonder what happened to the 120 megapixel (and 250 Megapixel) sensor. I know, APS-H, but the 5Ds line had the full 50 megapixel of the prototype APS-H.

I think those were pre dual pixel, the rumoured 90MP would be 180MP if you could both sides, which is getting fairly close to that.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
How do you come up with a crop of 1.4 on a 90mp sensor without oversampling? EOS R has a crop of almost 1.8 on a 30mp for 4K
Because starting with the R5, Canon is scaling from 8k or quad binning or line skipping (depending on mode) . The R5 uses the full width of the sensor for 4k DCI and even in crop mode, it does 5:4 scaling. If the RS uses a similar 8k pixel width, with twice the pixels total, then the crop would be sqrt@ or 1.414. Not to say they won't do something different now that they have the scaling power in digicx, but they already have the firmware to do that.

Upvote 0
Speaking as someone who primarily shoots landscapes, this would be HUGE. They could take video capabilities out of the camera for all I care. This would be my primary photography camera.
I'd say take the video right out of it just to see EOSHD lose his mind that a stills camera was developed without video ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The latter isn't true enough--he has entirely too many people who find him credible.
Roger's thermal measurements at Lens Rentals permanently blow EOSHD's cripple theory out the window. Yes, the camera does get hot when you are shooting a processing 8k! What a surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Are full-frame sensors really this expensive, then? Because from the spec speculation both here and on Tony Northrup’s video it seems to boil down to “what if a camera that’s worse in megapixels, frame rate and video options than an old 750D, with no viewfinder at all, and people will give us a THOUSAND DOLLARS for it because they desperately want the full frame RF mount.”

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Are full-frame sensors really this expensive, then? Because from the spec speculation both here and on Tony Northrup’s video it seems to boil down to “what if a camera that’s worse in megapixels, frame rate and video options than an old 750D, with no viewfinder at all, and people will give us a THOUSAND DOLLARS for it because they desperately want the full frame RF mount.”
I don't take Northrups seriously.

But when I use TS-E 17L, I don't care at all about frame rate and video options, usually don't care much about megapixels or viewfinder... but FF is a must.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
So 90D with 32.5Mp crop sensor would have the same pixel density of a 83 mpixel (32.5 X (1.6)^2 = 32.5 * 2.56) FF sensor.
With this pixel density DLA according to TDP is f/5.2 A 90mpixel camera would have a DLA f/4.8 to f/5 tops. Which means it needs f/4 lenses or up to f/5.6 as the worst case. Maybe an 80mpixel would be a better choice?

Or this is the rumor of 500mm f/2.8 is all about :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0