The Canon EOS R1 is coming, here are a few things to expect

Feb 3, 2019
Not sure if this is a popular opinion. I know R1 is gonna be the flagship and aiming at real pros but I would really love if R1 doesn't come with a battery grip by default like the Sony A1. I wouldn't mind much if the body is reasonably bigger than the R5 but a square camera like the R3 is just too big to carry.
The R1 will be the EXACT body of the R3. No need to worry about that…

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Hysterical to even say this when to this day Canon continues to sell the $6500 1DX Mark III brand new to countless people including major organizations.

I've had my 1dx mark II for almost six years now and yet I'll still be selling it for a significant amount once my R3 arrives. But sure. Keep trolling.
Hahahaha… name me 3 major organizations that have bought 1Dx III bodies after the announcement of the R3.

So easy to call me a troll bro, if you read my posts you know I am using 1dx series myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Camera specs aside, would like to see a fingerprint sensor or some kinda security built into a pro camera for once like in cellphones, since this has been implemented theft has gone down. Insurance only does so much. Can’t be that hard ass it is already well established tech.

Being robbed at gunpoint or burglars following you home to your family just to get his hands on your R1 doesn’t sit right. Sure you can just hand it over and claim insurance but there is always a chance that they could pull the trigger for fun.
think canon can play its part to protect its consumer base. Sony and others will no doubt follow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Camera specs aside, would like to see a fingerprint sensor or some kinda security built into a pro camera for once like in cellphones, since this has been implemented theft has gone down. Insurance only does so much. Can’t be that hard ass it is already well established tech.
Built in security would be great. I would prefer a PIN that one has to enter every 30 days to unlock the camera. Secure enough to discourage stealing, but not in the way of being able to use the camera.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's not that I don't have big enough hands to handle it. It's just smaller bodies have more flexibility. A battery grip can always be added to a smaller body if needed but can't say the same in reverse.
There is no shortage of smaller cameras on the market. Unless a unicorn is the only camera with specs which can satisfy your personal shooting parameters.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Nikons price to performance is going to be tough to come close to. They also don’t have a cinema line to hold features for. If it’s $7000+, I just don’t know what more the R1 can be that’s $1500 better and also not “crippled” on the video side.

Nikon has a chance to make a splash if they can get the camera shipped. They also need a third dial, that would drive me crazy.
Well, with all those video specs of the Z9 based on "external recording" it won't be hard to match. The R5 itself records internal as well as external.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The R1 will be the EXACT body of the R3. No need to worry about that…
I would not be so sure on that one. I saw a few official Canon reps say that while the R3 has the same weather sealing as a 1 series camera it does not have the same build quality / construction. For example, I remember them explicitly stating that a vari-angle screen would never be on a 1-series camera because it is not robust enough. This might mean that Canon does a 1-series screen similar to the Nikon Z9 of Fuji GFX100S. I suspect the R1 might be marginally larger than a R3 and weigh a bit more as well. Don't get me wrong I like the weight savings of the R3 vs. 1Dx body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
As much as the possibility of an R1 in a year makes me second guess my R3 pre-order, the reality is that everything I need is going to be covered by my R5's 45 megapixels and the R3's 30 FPS.

I think it's far more likely that my next camera body after the R3 will be the R5 Mark II, and whatever that brings with it. I know we probably won't see that for a few years, but after the R3 my biggest priority will be RF glass. I'd rather spend $9000 in a year or two on a new RF 300mm f/2.8 or RF 200-500mm F/4.

That said, I think Canon is really going to bring the big guns on the R1, so I could be pleasantly surprised. It's hard to honestly even imagine what else I could want from a camera that the R5 or R3 doesn't already do.
Keep spending your money on R5 and R3, and soon R5 mark II, whatever rocks your boat bro! I’ll wait for just the perfect all-in-one camera. Let’s hope the R1 will come in 2022 and that it will be affordable.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I would not be so sure on that one. I saw a few official Canon reps say that while the R3 has the same weather sealing as a 1 series camera it does not have the same build quality / construction. For example, I remember them explicitly stating that a vari-angle screen would never be on a 1-series camera because it is not robust enough. This might mean that Canon does a 1-series screen similar to the Nikon Z9 of Fuji GFX100S. I suspect the R1 might be marginally larger than a R3 and weigh a bit more as well. Don't get me wrong I like the weight savings of the R3 vs. 1Dx body.
Sure, it might have a fixed screen instead of this weird not exactly straight vari-angle thing on the R3. But what I mean is: THE BODY IS HERE ALREADY, JUST PUT A DECENT SENSOR IN IT AND MAKE IT AVAILABLE!

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I hope R1 will have triple card slots for three different card types and also maybe a mini-DVD slot, so no one would feel left out. Why follow Sony and Nikon with that nonsense with dual slots of the same type? What are they, insane?
I hope it has 4 card slots and some space to store my post-it notes and if possible a cup holder on the side.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
I've no doubt there are people that will never be satisfied with the number of pixels a camera's sensor has and will always want more. For me, 45mp on the R5 is a sweet spot. Anything bigger would just slow down my process. For those suggesting 60mp or higher, that's a lot of mp for full frame sensor, may as well move into medium format if that's a big requirement.
Sure, a 45mpix sensor is fine! But just put a PRO BODY around it!!!!!

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Sure, it might have a fixed screen instead of this weird not exactly straight vari-angle thing on the R3. But what I mean is: THE BODY IS HERE ALREADY, JUST PUT A DECENT SENSOR IN IT AND MAKE IT AVAILABLE!
I second that opinion!! Currently use a R5 and am considering just renting a second R5 when I need it until the R1 is released.

Upvote 0
For those suggesting 60mp or higher, that's a lot of mp for full frame sensor, may as well move into medium format if that's a big requirement.

The GFX line doesn't have the lenses I want. (And I tried a zillion EF-GFX adapters with the 100S that I rented -- none of them worked.) The "full sized" medium-format vendors don't have the lenses or good IS or framerate, and most of those camera bodies are well outside my price range.

At this point, I'm waiting for some vendor to show up with a 90MP+ camera with a (35mm-equivalent) 600mm f/4 lens or 400mm f/2.8 + 1.4X teleconverter, with good MTF, that has a reasonable (5fps+) framerate, and which I can shoot hand-held in full sunlight. Basically, a field-of-view upgrade to my R5/800mm f/5.6 setup.

Right now, it looks like that'll be Sony's a7R V in a few years, but Fuji could (finally) build a 600mm f/4 GFX lens or Canon could (finally) release an R5S. Or Nikon could come out of left field with a high MP body -- their rumored Z mount 400mm f/2.8 with built-in 1.4X teleconverter would be a really nice pairing with a high-MP body.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Global shutter would have been a big differentiator. Lacking that, more MP will just bring it in line with Nikon and Sony offerings, unless it's way more MP (e.g. 80 MP). Unless there's a low-res binned mode as @john1970 suggests, with a much faster frame rate associated, it won't really be a jack of all trades, more like a 5Ds in a 1-series body.

Hopefully we'll see Canon bring out orthogonal AF lines (cross-type AF) in the R1.

I am still thinking we'll see an R5s that is 70-80 MP with low fps, and a longer wait for the R1 that will have ~30 MP, 40 fps with a really deep buffer, along with cross-type AF.

I know for a fact that it wont be in and around 30mp, it will be at least double that.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My opinion, FWIW:

By the time the R1 is launched, a year from now if we’re lucky, market forces and revised pricing from the manufacturers will probably result in the price of the R3 dropping below $5000 and the R5 will be well below $3000. The Sony A1 will be down to $4200 and the Nikon Z9 will be hovering at about $5200.

Consequently I’d hope and expect that the R1 would at a maximum be $6500. If it isn’t, it’ll be a hard sell for Canon - not necessarily because people will switch brands, but because they can’t afford or can’t justify crazy prices, given that most of the target market will already be using very high performing gear.

R1 specification?:
  • Ultra-fast readout stacked CMOS.
  • Resolution will hopefully be switchable between circa 22/45/90 MP via quad-pixel technology.
  • Eye-control AF, and advanced AI subject recognition and tracking, with the camera being able to recognise the subject-type without the user having to select animals/cars/people etc.
  • Ultra hi-res EVF with “natural” option and zero blackout, regardless of AF mode or burst speed.
  • User selectable maximum burst speeds of 5, 10, 20, 40, 80fps.
  • Gripped and with more powerful battery than R3.
Will I buy it? Nope. I’ll wait for the R5 Mkii and hope that some of the R3/R1 technology filters down.

Upvote 0