The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

Big question is: will this R3 be reasonably priced, or overpriced like we know from Canon.
Price Skimming is a common pricing strategy. Canon wrote that the R3 is "positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras", so it should be priced below the 1D X.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No, it's a secret! Photographers are under an NDA and I doubt they can even post full resolution images.
why so secret about sensor Mpx.
Companies like the 'beat their chest' about High Mpx.
I can see value in keeping other tech in secret but sensor Mpx is a bit silly. Canon doesn't want to reveal it in fear that it'll impact the pre-orders.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Whoever is upset about they should not go to the beach these days, nor should you look at Instagram, otherwise you’ll end up crying yourself to sleep for weeks.
You are missing the point. I am no puritanical idealist and am as happy to people watch on a beach as any other human.

But can’t you see a huge difference between people wearing what they want and choose to on a beach or on their own Instagram feed, and being told they MUST wear skimpy clothing simply to compete in a sport? Especially when it seems the only justification for that clothing is to ‘sell it’ (the sport) to a male dominated audience who have learned nothing since the misogynistic Mad Men days

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The female Norwegian beach handball team just got fined $1,700 for refusing to show the required amount of skin. Even the Norwegian beach handball management couldn’t find a reason why they should wear skimpy outfits for a specific international competition.

Personally I watch sport for the thrill of the game and the skills of the players, not the amount of midriff or thigh on display. It is truly a sad and pathetic world that we live in when viewing figures/advertising revenue/money/power end up permeating life to such an extent that the best female athletes in the world are only good enough to televise if they are also prepared to titillate a pathetic male audience.
Thank you for saying what should have been said 30 posts ago. I can't believe some of the immature and disrespectful attitudes that are being displayed here...well, that's wrong...I can believe it as that same immature, disrespectful attitude towards women runs rampant on the internet as well as in society in general. I know lots of men try to rationalize their sexist attitudes, but the bottom line is if you respect women as human beings, then you would be ashamed at a society, or a sports league, that objectifies them, and has no qualms about humiliating them. We should all applaud the Norwegian handball team and all other women who merely ask for the same respect as any male athlete or any man.

Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0
I haven't gone through the entire thread, but can anyone think of a good reason why he would take a R6? The R3 and 1Dx III make sense, and I can definitely make an argument for bringing a R5 for high res stuff. But why bring a R6? I would assume the High ISO and familiarity aspects were the reason for the 1DX III. And if he felt the R6 was the best option for those two pieces, why bring the 1Dx? If the R3 is 30 MPs, I'd think the the R6 is totally redundant at that point.

The only thing I can think of is, he brought it because he could, but traveling with gear you don't really need seems odd.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
why so secret about sensor Mpx.
Companies like the 'beat their chest' about High Mpx.
I can see value in keeping other tech in secret but sensor Mpx is a bit silly. Canon doesn't want to reveal it in fear that it'll impact the pre-orders.
The 1D X sports camera wasn't high megapixel. The R3 sports camera won't be high megapixel either. In sports cameras, there are other more important attributes.

Since the R3 isn't available for pre-ordering, your comment about that is nonsensical.

Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
You are missing the point. I am no puritanical idealist and am as happy to people watch on a beach as any other human.

But can’t you see a huge difference between people wearing what they want and choose to on a beach or on their own Instagram feed, and being told they MUST wear skimpy clothing simply to compete in a sport? Especially when it seems the only justification for that clothing is to ‘sell it’ (the sport) to a male dominated audience who have learned nothing since the misogynistic Mad Men days

I didn’t miss the point, but I do feel like thongs is a lame topic for a camera rumors site.
I was mostly joking earlier.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Seriously? You have a granddaughter, if she showed promise as a gymnast you’d say those same words to her as an 8-11 year old if she had the potential to compete at an international level? Don’t forget by the time she reached the age to vote her gymnastics career would be over anyway.

Only in the USA is everything diluted to the “only one way to sell something” argument.
I have no granddaughter.

These are grown women.

Only in the USA? Me thinks advertising in the UK and Europe are just as racy.

I find the men's Speedo far more offensive.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have no granddaughter.

These are grown women.

Only in the USA? Me thinks advertising in the UK and Europe are just as racy.

I find the men's Speedo far more offensive.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That was years ago, PBD.

Nobody is forcing 8 year olds into skimpy beach volleyball outfits to try and finance an otherwise unviable pro sport.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Like basketball, right? All amateurs? Nope.
We were talking about the female gymnasts, beach volleyball and beach handball teams.

Do you see the difference here? Yeh, the ones in the first photo will earn a lot more than the ones in the lower three photos. The middle two ‘uniforms’ are mandated. The fourth photo expects to start culling unsuitable candidates by the time they are 5, after 2-3 years training (https://livehealthy.chron.com/age-olympic-gymnasts-start-2518.html) by 8 they are well into their gymnastics careers.

F3954713-38CB-4460-9AA8-3B755D4E1AD4.jpegB815CE1B-2B29-4EA0-9B0C-1778BA81FB1D.jpeg77828068-7150-4E87-B085-07E9835F530D.jpeg82935B0D-D905-484F-9EEC-3F6DC1295E80.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How did this turn into a discussion on thongs? The Olympics seem to have a lot of shitty rules that have no impact on the sport or just plan unfair. They need new leadership hope more people stand up to the stupid rules.
My fault. Oops. Based on the photos in the link in the original article I thought how oddly uncomfortable that must be to try to compete at a sport with a permanent wedgie. So I brought it up. I don’t wear thongs. I have had a wedgie. I’ve also run 5k’s and longer. I don’t think I’d want to run one in a thong for comfort and modesty reasons. But maybe that’s just me. Sorry about the derail. Feel free to speculate on megapixels and what not.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My fault. Oops. Based on the photos in the link in the original article I thought how oddly uncomfortable that must be to try to compete at a sport with a permanent wedgie. So I brought it up. I don’t wear thongs. I have had a wedgie. I’ve also run 5k’s and longer. I don’t think I’d want to run one in a thong for comfort and modesty reasons. But maybe that’s just me. Sorry about the derail. Feel free to speculate on megapixels and what not.
Between 20 and 50 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
As much as I agree, I doubt Canon is going to make the top agencies cripple the images they sell if they use the R3. Maybe they'd ask them to remove Metadata, but I'm sure GettyImages isn't being asked to downsize their images to send to Team USA or sell, at the worst you can pretend it was an EOS R5 image that has been cropped down.

i've been following the resolution of files that Getty Images posts on their database since all of their equipment is Canon, including the R3, for their partnership, and there's tons of files over 21 megapixels being posted that can't be taken with a 1dx3, but there's nothing saying these files aren't taken with the R5, so I can't imagine they have to fudge their image quality to satisfy an NDA.
Removing the metadata is enough, cause the R5 has 45MP images. Once cropped, you won't be able to tell which camera did what. Unless... you take very dark images (R3 can do focus in ev-7) and there people can speculate more about the camera which did take the pictures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0