The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
You are missing the point. I am no puritanical idealist and am as happy to people watch on a beach as any other human.

But can’t you see a huge difference between people wearing what they want and choose to on a beach or on their own Instagram feed, and being told they MUST wear skimpy clothing simply to compete in a sport? Especially when it seems the only justification for that clothing is to ‘sell it’ (the sport) to a male dominated audience who have learned nothing since the misogynistic Mad Men days
I agree with your opinion, in general. But to make the picture (more) complete, this case should be presented as well: https://nypost.com/2021/07/21/paralympian-olivia-breen-details-shorts-shaming-by-official/

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Price Skimming is a common pricing strategy. Canon wrote that the R3 is "positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras", so it should be priced below the 1D X.

Price Skimming... This is exactly what they do...and I don’t like it. It is immoral in my opinion. And the skimming only takes off 10% of the initial price when it comes to Canon gear, so it doesn’t make a huge difference. In other words, they make you wait another year if you want a lower price.
It’s disgusting.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Price Skimming... This is exactly what they do...and I don’t like it. It is immoral in my opinion. And the skimming only takes off 10% of the initial price when it comes to Canon gear, so it doesn’t make a huge difference. In other words, they make you wait another year if you want a lower price.
It’s disgusting.
You don’t have to buy - you have a choice whether to wait or go to another manufacturer. It’s not like they are selling a life-saving medication and have you over a barrel.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It’s disgusting.
Ah yes, this a thread about the great injustices of our time, I see.

Manufacturers adjusting their prices to match the varying demand over time, not being told the megapixels of a camera months before launch and being treated differently based your gender.

We poor camera geeks have to suffer through so much.

/sarcasm

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
While the over sexualisation of sport or women in general is definitely something society needs to deal with, and sports uniforms are definitely part of that discussion... Going back to the original article and image samples, the athletes in question are at practice and not in uniform (see the group shots out of the water to see it best) and are wearing a variety of cuts /colours. To be specific, they all chose what they're wearing in those pictures and weren't compelled by anyone (well other than fashion industry, peer pressure, manufacturers, normalisation etc).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
We were talking about the female gymnasts, beach volleyball and beach handball teams.

Do you see the difference here? Yeh, the ones in the first photo will earn a lot more than the ones in the bottom three photos. The middle two ‘uniforms’ are mandated. The bottom photo expects to start culling unsuitable candidates by the time they are 5, after 2-3 years training (https://livehealthy.chron.com/age-olympic-gymnasts-start-2518.html).

View attachment 199139
Bikini briefs or not - this is a good shot. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
We were talking about the female gymnasts, beach volleyball and beach handball teams.

Do you see the difference here? Yeh, the ones in the first photo will earn a lot more than the ones in the bottom three photos. The middle two ‘uniforms’ are mandated. The bottom photo expects to start culling unsuitable candidates by the time they are 5, after 2-3 years training (https://livehealthy.chron.com/age-olympic-gymnasts-start-2518.html).

View attachment 199138View attachment 199139View attachment 199140View attachment 199141
Ok. We get your outrage. Do what you can to make changes you want made.

Now, get back on topic.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Do you mean photo of bottoms?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The R3 size looks good in the hand in this vid!(he wasn't a loud to turn it on by the way!!). Looks awesome

Looking at the controls I see it has a ‘mode’ dial that is well placed for your thumb. I wonder if this can be configured to work as the rear control dial. Having used an RP alongside my 5 series I do find a horizontally placed dial more convenient than the vertically mounted control ‘wheel’.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I would imagine that if all the players under the mandate refused to play until a change is made, a change would be made. OTOH... Who are we trying to fool? A huge part of the audience and money would be lost. Far fewer would make a living playing the sport. Cheekiness is what makes it viable as a pro sport.
The Olympics is different.
There are rules of decency by the host country.
Every country also has rules for its own athletes.
On top of that, each athlete has some discretion.
That being said, most athletes are professionals and are used to wearing the uniforms of their prospective leagues.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The Olympics is different.
There are rules of decency by the host country.
Every country also has rules for its own athletes.
On top of that, each athlete has some discretion.
That being said, most athletes are professionals and are used to wearing the uniforms of their prospective leagues.
Didn't the ancient Greeks do the Olympics nude? I'm for historical accuracy. ;) Not sure I appreciate the prudish Victorian influence. The English kinda mucked it all up. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Price Skimming is a common pricing strategy. Canon wrote that the R3 is "positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras", so it should be priced below the 1D X.

It is easier to release a product at a high price and lower it to meet market demand.
There is also the added benefit of people paying what they were willing to pay or more but it now looking like a bargain.
The limitations are that there are competing products that set the price range and setting too high off an initial price could turn people off entirely.
Canon can't set the R3 price too low without making the 1DX III look too expensive.
I would imagine that Canon would drop the price of the 1DX III once the R1 comes out but mirrorless prices do not seem to affect DSLR prices.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Didn't the ancient Greeks do the Olympics nude? I'm for historical accuracy. ;) Not sure I appreciate the prudish Victorian influence. The English kinda mucked it all up. ;)
You are quite right; in the original Olympics the athletes did perform naked. After all Greece is a very hot country. :rolleyes: And they didn't have TV. Not sure how that approach would go down to day.....I guess opinion would be divided on it:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0