The Canon EOS R3 is out in the wild

Jul 28, 2015
True, like 2/3" and 1/3" sensors are smaller than those dimensions. Interestingly, the crop factor of the 1" sensor relative to Canon APS-C (1.68x) is close to that of APS-C to FF (1.6x).
I was surprised to learn that 4/3 sensor is defined in exactly the same way - it is pure coincidence that the sensor dimensions are a ratio of 4:3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I really wish they'd add "motion trigger" ability to video (or high FPS continuous stills) so that you could leave a camera on a tripod and have it only record with sufficient motion happening (like a hummingbird landing on a feeder). Then you'd only have small bits of video or stills to worry about in post instead of gazillions of "nothing" to store and wade through in post.

I like the Olympus Pro-Capture mode (Panasonic has their equivalent) where you half-press the shutter and it continually writes to the buffer. When you see the action you want to capture, you fully press the shutter and it records to the card the previous 1 second and a user-definable number of shots afterwards. The user can define the frame rate, the period before shutter press that is recorded and the number of shots afterwards - all this means that if you are a bit late hitting full shutter, you probably still have what you wanted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
To cut a long story short, you're very unhappy that I pointed out some of your assumptions about how things work are dead wrong. So you're going to misrepresent my position and the things I've said, and resort to personal attacks and fallacies.

The RF mount is superior to EF mount and as new lenses come out, they'll perform better than the older EF equivalents when mounted on suitable cameras.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
According to the Twitter feed Richard's lips are sealed. I found the following exchange quite interesting. When someone mentioned that "think your going to need a longer lens for West Ham next season". Richard's reply was "You've not heard the news". I wonder if the sensor is a quad bayer array with a high res setting? There is a rumored resolution trick in the R3 and so far it has not been disclosed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
According to the Twitter feed Richard's lips are sealed. I found the following exchange quite interesting. When someone mentioned that "think your going to need a longer lens for West Ham next season". Richard's reply was "You've not heard the news". I wonder if the sensor is a quad bayer array with a high res setting? There is a rumored resolution trick in the R3 and so far it has not been disclosed.
More likely he's simply referring to the new big whites that are also on the horizon.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
More likely he's simply referring to the new big whites that are also on the horizon.
Very well could be that scenario as well, but with two RF big whites already announced I thought maybe he was referring to some unannounced camera feature. I suspect that in 4-6 weeks we should have a formal announcement will all the details.

Upvote 0
Very well could be that scenario as well, but with two RF big whites already announced I thought maybe he was referring to some unannounced camera feature. I suspect that in 4-6 weeks we should have a formal announcement will all the details.

Hopefully it's not that long. I suspect with the Olympics only 4-6 weeks out there will be an announcement before then, with a release around the Olympic's timeframe. *fingerscrossed

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes, all 3 have to be interpolated. But the fact that there are no sensors at that location for the other 2 colors is what I'm talking about.

Each photosite is sensitive to all of the "colors", which aren't really colors at all until they're perceived by our brains, it's just that photosites filtered with one of the three filters are more sensitive to some wavelengths than others. But they all share overlapping sensitivities. The photosites under all three colors of the filters in a Bayer mask are sensitive to all three "colors". There's no sensor at any one location for any single color.

It works just like our retinal cones. Our brains construct the perception of color, which really does not exist in light itself, from the differences between the S, M, & L cones. The peak sensitivity of our M & L cones are very close to the same wavelength, and most of each type's sensitivity overlaps the others. Our brain uses that minor difference to create color.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Each photosite is sensitive to all of the "colors", which aren't really colors at all until they're perceived by our brains, it's just that photosites filtered with one of the three filters are more sensitive to some wavelengths than others. But they all share overlapping sensitivities. The photosites under all three colors of the filters in a Bayer mask are sensitive to all three "colors". There's no sensor at any one location for any single color.

It works just like our retinal cones. Our brains construct the perception of color, which really does not exist in light itself, from the differences between the S, M, & L cones. The peak sensitivity of our M & L cones are very close to the same wavelength, and most of each type's sensitivity overlaps the others. Our brain uses that minor difference to create color.
Yes, I agree with what you've said. But I consider 1 "photosite" to be the sensor receptor + filter - as they're embedded together they function as 1 single unit. The post-interpolation results will never be as accurate as if every photosite had 3 sub-photosites (1 of each type for a "true" pixel). Since there is a considerable sensitivity overlap between the 3 photosite sensitivities, then I'd hazard a guess that a 20MDot sensor would have IQ maybe halfway between a 20/3=6.7M "true"P sensor and a 20M "true"P sensor. So you've convinced me to go half-way (or so) to saying a 20MDot sensor has the quality of a 20 "true"MP sensor. Beyond that we're both guessing, so I'm happy to leave it at this.

This makes me wonder what the emitter response curves are for the 3 types of "dot" emitters in an EVF and a back LCD screen. Assuming (hopefully) a similar overlap as you've mentioned, this would also make them half-way (or so) to having the IQ of a "true"Pixel emitter. That's a lot better than I had thought before. So thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

I read that exchange as some kind of inside joke about the football teams.

Upvote 0
Guess he's not tempted to try use adapters to get his lenses to work on the R3 then. Wonder what this type of commentary will do to the mindset of those looking to buy old DSLR gear. Damn. And to all of those people who say that buying lenses is an investment, just saw your investment value drop. Obviously also not convinced that Nikon mirrorless was worth the jump. Canon RF, and in particular R3, is where it's at. EF, thank you for the good times, but you're history baby. p.s. EF-S and EF-M, sorry, you're EF too.

I have an R5 and R. Using all EF lenses and it works even better and is more accurate now than those lenses were on any of my dslr bodies. What exactly is your point again?

Upvote 0