The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced in September

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
30MP is more than enough, and has multiple advantages over higher resolutions e.g. less noise, higher max ISO, better DR, higher fps/bigger buffer. The design of the R3 seems almost perfect, considering the type of user it is aimed at.
There is 0 advantage in terms of low light performance, noise or dynamic range for a lower resolution. Especially since we're talking about a stacked back side illuminated sensor in the R3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
There were rumors that Nikon might announce the Z9 on June 28th, and that Canon would announce the R3 on June 29th. Canon appeared to want to steal Nikon's media thunder.
Then Nikon didn't make the Z9 announcement, and Canon didn't either.
Yesterday there were new rumors about Nikon releasing the Z9 in November/December, and now we get a new Canon rumor about the R3 coming out in September.

Coincidence?:unsure:

Perhaps we should invent a new rumor that the Nikon Z9 is coming out in August to see if Canon responds by releasing the R3 early, just to ensure they one-up Nikon.

Might be my best shot at getting the R3 before a November trip.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If it could be pre-ordered, I’d have done it already. B&H pre-orders start after the product is officially announced.
it is interesting how different resellers operate. I was able to put a refundable deposit down on the R5 back in February last year. The intent was to get it in June just prior to a big Scandinavian trip. That was one of three trips cancelled over the last 12 months but it did mean I got my R5 in the first batch in Australia (with a spare battery and the fancy strap that I immediately sold :) )

Upvote 0
I hope you're right, but it seems unlikely at this point, sadly.
Yeah, most in the semiconductor world doesn't see the shortage ending for a long time. They do think the bulk of the shortage can be relieved by the end of next year, but we will still see some delays. After seeing the type of plant and the time it take to make these wafers, its no wonder why they are so bleak on their outlooks. The worst outlook I saw was 2023, but many see it lasting well in to 2022.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Yeah, most in the semiconductor world doesn't see the shortage ending for a long time. They do think the bulk of the shortage can be relieved by the end of next year, but we will still see some delays. After seeing the type of plant and the time it take to make these wafers, its no wonder why they are so bleak on their outlooks. The worst outlook I saw was 2023, but many see it lasting well in to 2022.
Thanks for sharing the insight! Even if it is a bit bleak...

Upvote 0

drhuffman87

Eos R, RF24-105 F4L, RF85 F2, EF200 F2.8L II
Nov 5, 2020
www.drhuffmanphoto.com
The rumor was about a "resolution trick," not a "surprise". A 30MP sensor would not be considered a "trick" though it could be considered a "surprise".
Shhh my Rebel XS considers it to be a "trick," don't ruin it's fun.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
There is 0 advantage in terms of low light performance, noise or dynamic range for a lower resolution. Especially since we're talking about a stacked back side illuminated sensor in the R3.
Well, a lower rez stacked, back side sensor with bigger sensing sites would have better noise and dynamic range.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Well, a lower rez stacked, back side sensor with bigger sensing sites would have better noise and dynamic range.
In spite of the fact the the highest resolution cameras have the most dynamic range? I think you need to study how dynamic range is measured (hint, fixed area, not pixel level).

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Hoping this means RF lens shortages will be resolved by September as well.
COVID induced chip shortage and supply chain issues won’t be resolved very soon, here in HK many of the RF L lenses such as 100-500, 24-105L, 85.2 and even the EF-EOS-RF adapters are back-ordered, typically people who want to order need to wait at least 2-3 months.

Upvote 0
I think the "surprise" was that the resolution is quite low - many must have been expecting the R3 to match the resolution of the R5 and the Sony a1. But for 95% of images (if not more) 30MP is more than enough, and has multiple advantages over higher resolutions e.g. less noise, higher max ISO, better DR, higher fps/bigger buffer. The design of the R3 seems almost perfect, considering the type of user it is aimed at.
In the real world the R6 shows very little advantage over the R5 at high ISO. Yes per pixel noise is lower as it's a much smaller image, but the R5 reszied to 20MP is as clean, and even at full res, the files clean up so nicely even out to 12800 it matters little. Also to match the reach of the R5, the R6 needs a 1.5x TC so you'd be using a slower aperture, higher ISO to match shutter speed for action. So it's advantage is gone.

Now 30MP is a nice compromise for the R3 and offers 24% more reach than the R6 in FL limited cases. I would have preferred 36MP, but it is what it is. Stacked sensor, I presume blackout free EVF, improved eye tracking, and eye-controlled AF are what matters even more.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There seems to be a correlation between low resolution and high ISO.
There does not appear to be a similar correlation with dynamic range.
DR is often limited by the read noise. Sony A9 is lowish res, but had much worse DR than the A7RIII, due to the fact the read noise was ~4x worse. This came about due to the ADC's being clocked much faster to accommodate the much faster sensor scan speed which introduced more read noise. A9II improved the DR about 0.5EV and A1 improved it further so it's DR is only a tiny bit lower than the A7RIV. We have pretty much hit the wall on DR with 35mm sensors.

Upvote 0