The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

D

Deleted member 381342

I agree that it is not guaranteed and what you said makes sense.
On the other hand, it would mean a new image sensor for the R5 instead of reusing and old R1 sensor.

Only the R6 has used a ‘old’ 1-series sensor. Stacked sensors don’t become cheeper compared to BSI and traditional after being produced for four years. You can still make more simper sensors for the R5 mark 2 and 3 with different features to appeal to that market like higher megapixels. The stacked sensor also kinda necessities a faster EVF which is expensive. Imagine the R1 mark 2 is 45MP stacked with a 16m dot 360hz EVF and a 20ms power flick to picture startup time and the R5 mark 2 has a 16m dot 120hz EVF with some 66MP on a BSI sensor and a 100ms switch on to picture. In both cases these are vastly better than today, but with features aimed at very different markets. 120hz and even 60hz is fine for most wedding and even most shooters in general. 360hz however has significantly less lag between the image and real world and less click to action lag (moving a focus point would feel snappier). 100ms is way faster that the current mirrorless bodies but you can sell the next R1 on instant startup like we had with earlier DSLR and digital cameras that could have multiple second startup times compared to a pro body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I’m sure it’s better on the R5, but the issue is very noticeable on my R, and annoying.
The R lag was bad. The R5 by default (ECO mode) has noticeable lag, but it feels like an OVF when eco mode is off.. i do some birding.

however it does chew batteries. Spent a long time trying to find a balance.. mostly learned to turn off the tiltable LCD screen by default

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I don't understand why Canon would put an SD card slot in a camera like the R3. It would make more sense to provide two Cfexpress slots and anyone who can afford the camera will certainly be able to afford the more expensive type of memory cards.. A camera "built for speed" should have the fastest available memory cards and nothing less.
I have a feeling that the R3 will essentially be the "mirrorless 1DX Mark III", inheriting that camera's "pro sports shooter" role. Further, I bet the R1 is in the works and will be Canon's "megapixel monster", likely with between 75 and 85MP.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.... And potentially really hard on my credit cards!
It is possible it's heat. The cfexpress I have gets really hot and not just in the camera, reader too

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I know a birder who recently upgraded to R5(sold his 1Dx for R5) and he hasn't complained of lag, only thing he complained was weak battery life.
I shoot wildlife, BIF and IIF (insects in flight) with R5. I don't find the lag to be a problem during burst shooting, but the lag is a real pain in the butt when applying the first half-press to the shutter button. There's nothing worse than quickly raising the camera to the eye, touching the button to activate the camera, and then having to wait while the EVF turns itself on, while the subject meanwhile has long gone. It's also a pain that the EVF turns itself off 4 seconds after removing your eye. There are workarounds (such as putting black tape over the eyepiece sensor, or tapping the preview button before raising the camera) but the EVF lag is a problem in some circumstances.

... and yes, the battery life is atrocious, even with everything set up for minimum power usage - especially if you use adapted EF glass because the power needed to move the elements in many of them is power-draining. The only option, if you don't want to get caught out with a flat battery in the midle of the action, is to have a loaded battery grip, and even thenm you often need a spare set to get you through a long day.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
While that might be true for a few generations, tech tends to trickle down in the higher end consumer cameras. We have AF in the R5 & R6 rivaling the 1dx II that we would never have expected. While I don't expect that tech in the lower level R type camera any time soon, I think it will appear int he R5 & R6 Level. Don't forget, the R3 is not the "flagship" camera.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why Canon would put an SD card slot in a camera like the R3. It would make more sense to provide two Cfexpress slots and anyone who can afford the camera will certainly be able to afford the more expensive type of memory cards.. A camera "built for speed" should have the fastest available memory cards and nothing less.
I have a feeling that the R3 will essentially be the "mirrorless 1DX Mark III", inheriting that camera's "pro sports shooter" role. Further, I bet the R1 is in the works and will be Canon's "megapixel monster", likely with between 75 and 85MP.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.... And potentially really hard on my credit cards!
I agree, 2 CFx slots would be great.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Greatly prefer a Fuji XT-3 or Panasonic S1H style screen though. Having dangly bits off to the side isn't always ideal.
Also a S1H-style screen that is always on-axis with the lens, makes it a lot easier to locate and follow a moving subject, especially when using a long lens. With an articulated screen you have to switch your eyes back and forth between the screen on the left and the subject straight ahead, which is far from ideal.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I shoot wildlife, BIF and IIF (insects in flight) with R5. I don't find the lag to be a problem during burst shooting, but the lag is a real pain in the butt when applying the first half-press to the shutter button. There's nothing worse than quickly raising the camera to the eye, touching the button to activate the camera, and then having to wait while the EVF turns itself on, while the subject meanwhile has long gone. It's also a pain that the EVF turns itself off 4 seconds after removing your eye. There are workarounds (such as putting black tape over the eyepiece sensor, or tapping the preview button before raising the camera) but the EVF lag is a problem in some circumstances.

... and yes, the battery life is atrocious, even with everything set up for minimum power usage - especially if you use adapted EF glass because the power needed to move the elements in many of them is power-draining. The only option, if you don't want to get caught out with a flat battery in the midle of the action, is to have a loaded battery grip, and even thenm you often need a spare set to get you through a long day.
I haven't found the lag a big problem for wildlife, but the "wake/startup" time you reference is an issue. I shoot with a grip which extends the shooting time but keeping the camera awake stilll burns through batteries. I usually carry 6 LP-E6H batteries in the field and don't usually have an issue with a day of shooting. I bought a couple of the Jupio dual chargers that I use instead of the single Canon charger. Works for me, but you have to anticipate motion and make sure your camera is awake when needed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I agree, 2 CFx slots would be great.
Yes, and it beats me why Canon doesn't do a deal with Delkin or SanDisk, enabling them to sell the cameras with a couple of 128GB cards as a package, saving money for the customer, and increasing sales for the card manufacturer. It would also guarantee full operational compatibilty, which can be a worry when you're spending nearly $200 on a card!

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I have a vertical grip for my R5 and the battery life still sucks.
2 x 0 = 0
I also have the vertical grip for the R5, but battery life relative to my old 1Dx Mk2 is dramatically shorter. I always take a second pair of batteries out with me into the field.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Just do what I keep posting here: as soon as you start to lift your camera to your eye, half press the shutter. By the time the evf has reached your eye, the camera is fully active.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Just do what I keep posting here: as soon as you start to lift your camera to your eye, half press the shutter. By the time the evf has reached your eye, the camera is fully active.
Appreciate your comment, and your dragonfly photography is fabulous. But the method you describe is only really feasible if you use back button focus. Unfortunately at 70 my coordination is no longer good enough to use that method.

If the AF is activated normally (by half press of the shutter button), the camera will start focusing *before* I get the camera to my eye, and that means it might be hunting like crazy searching for a bird that isn't yet even in the frame. The best workaround I've found, for my own style of shooting, is to momentarily tap the preview button to activate the EVF (but not the AF), before I raise the camera.

The real point I think is that Canon needs to invest in tech to reduce the EVF activation time to near-zero, and to introduce a simple firmware update that will enable users to keep the EVF active for more than 4 seconds after the eye is removed from the eyepiece - if I'm hand holding a 100-400mm or heavier lens, my arms need a rest occasionally, and I don't want to have to keep tapping a button to keep the camera awake if I remove it from my eye for a few seconds.

Upvote 0