The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

D

Deleted member 381342

Half pressing the shutter button on the R5 powers it up from sleep.

Same on Nikon, but it is so much easier just flicking it off when you lower it and flicking it on when it is time for action. My camera never sleeps and is always ready for the shot. The switch is in just such a fantastic location for bodies that drain batteries.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
On the R6, I close the LCD and run display performance in power saving mode. I may not be as demanding as others, but I find I can do just about everything I want through the EVF. This saves the battery and the camera never has to switch displays. I can go all day on a single battery with ~500 shots. I carry a spare but haven't changed yet during a shoot unless I started with a partial charge.

Closing the LCD saves the delay switching from the LCD to the EVF - it is always in EVF mode. This means just about anything I touch will turn the EVF on immediately - no delay. I can toggle the multicontroller with my thumb, tap the DOF preview button with my ring finger, tap the M-Fn button with my index finger, etc. and the EVF turns on immediately and is fully functional when it reaches my eye.

If I don't do anything, it's about 2 seconds from the time I start lifting the camera, less than a second after my eye reaches the EVF.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
This is a big deal for me. Athletes always want a portrait where they are looking at the camera while tossing the ball into the air with the ball frozen In mid-air. With a DSLR it’s a pretty easy shot. With the R it’s ridiculously difficult to time and with the R5 it’s only marginally better. Hoping it will be fixed in the R3.
Why is it difficult to time with an R and R5? What makes it different to shooting with a DSLR?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Same on Nikon, but it is so much easier just flicking it off when you lower it and flicking it on when it is time for action. My camera never sleeps and is always ready for the shot. The switch is in just such a fantastic location for bodies that drain batteries.
But, the R5 doesn’t drain the battery in sleep mode.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
On the R6, I close the LCD and run display performance in power saving mode. I may not be as demanding as others, but I find I can do just about everything I want through the EVF. This saves the battery and the camera never has to switch displays. I can go all day on a single battery with ~500 shots. I carry a spare but haven't changed yet during a shoot unless I started with a partial charge.

Closing the LCD saves the delay switching from the LCD to the EVF - it is always in EVF mode. This means just about anything I touch will turn the EVF on immediately - no delay. I can toggle the multicontroller with my thumb, tap the DOF preview button with my ring finger, tap the M-Fn button with my index finger, etc. and the EVF turns on immediately and is fully functional when it reaches my eye.

If I don't do anything, it's about 2 seconds from the time I start lifting the camera, less than a second after my eye reaches the EVF.
Same here. The LCD is permanently turned in except for rare occasions when I reprogram.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why is it difficult to time with an R and R5? What makes it different to shooting with a DSLR?
Person standing there with the ball in the palm of their hand, they begin to toss the ball. You press the shutter. The ball is already out of the frame because of the lag time. With a DSLR, you press the shutter and the ball is still in the frame. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. I suspect it is because the image you see in the viewfinder lags behind the real world action.

Upvote 0
Yes, and it beats me why Canon doesn't do a deal with Delkin or SanDisk, enabling them to sell the cameras with a couple of 128GB cards as a package, saving money for the customer, and increasing sales for the card manufacturer. It would also guarantee full operational compatibilty, which can be a worry when you're spending nearly $200 on a card!
A good reason would be that Canon hasn't officially approved Delkin at all or Sandisk except for their 512GB card. Canon specifically doesn't not approve the Sandisk 128/64GB cards
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177429&actp=LIST
Can't imagine that Canon would bundle a Sony card so the only other alternative CFe 128GB card to bundle would be Lexar
Note that the same approved list for the 1DXiii
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1595914608082

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Blackout has never been an issue for me and the R5. Blackout was never an issue in DSLRs either.
With each new camera or sensor reviewers seem to search for a new "issue".

In the very first years of digital it was blue channel noise. When that was solved they moved on to noise in general. Then it was shutter lag. Next High ISO noise. Never mind that the ISOs in question were nearly unusable in film days.
Then the bête noire was dynamic range. Now that is really not an issue we need to find new "issues".

Frankly, any new issue found today will most likely need a microscope to see.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Because SDexpress will be faster than many CF cards
back to this chestnut? SDexpress specs allow it to be faster but there is no availability in the near future. Certainly not for the R3 and probably not for the R1 if announced next year. Dual CFe would be expected for the R1 as backward compatible with the 1DXiii/R5/R3. They could do a combined USHii-SD and CFe type A like the A1 but Sony is still the only manufacturer of CFe type A cards in the market

Upvote 0
CF Express can be faster or equal in speed to SD Express. SD Express isn’t magically going to work on the current slots at full speed, in fact it is going to run at UHS-I speeds maximum on older cameras. So right now the R3 has a crippled SD reader that will get worse if you use SD Express.

As for why there isn’t a second slot it is most likely they ran out of PCIe lanes as you can run SD on a potato with the GPS if it has one and dedicate the fast lanes to Ethernet, WiFi, and the main card.
How would the A1 work then as the CFe Type A cards only have one PCIe lane?

Upvote 0
It would also be interesting to know if the R3 has improved start up times from off and improved wake up times from sleep. The half second extra that mirrorless takes to wake up over DSLRs can cost some shots for sports and wildlife.
Of course, with the better battery, it might be possible to have the camera sleep a lot less often. But it would still be great to see improvements.
I've programmed the multifunction button (by the shutter release button), to initiate sleep on my R5. Initially, it was to keep the lens image stabilization from running constantly, but it saves battery, too. Half press of the shutter button (or just bringing my eye up to the viewfinder, which trips the viewfinder sensor), and it's awake again in an instant. I also keep the R5 in airplane mode to extend battery life. On a full charge, I'm easily getting 1,500 to 2,000 shots with a single battery...

As far as viewfinder lag, I do notice it, particularly when shooting barrel racing. Thankfully, the horses are moving in a predictable direction at a relatively consistent pace, so once you get used to the lag, it's not much of an issue. Would still be nice to eliminate it, though!

Upvote 0
I don't understand why Canon would put an SD card slot in a camera like the R3. It would make more sense to provide two Cfexpress slots and anyone who can afford the camera will certainly be able to afford the more expensive type of memory cards.. A camera "built for speed" should have the fastest available memory cards and nothing less.
I have a feeling that the R3 will essentially be the "mirrorless 1DX Mark III", inheriting that camera's "pro sports shooter" role. Further, I bet the R1 is in the works and will be Canon's "megapixel monster", likely with between 75 and 85MP.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.... And potentially really hard on my credit cards!
Not a matter of cost. My 128GB USH-ii SD card cost the same as my CFe 128GB card last year and then are still the same price for the Sony tough versions today. I know that some people prefer the backward compatibility for the SD card but dual cards makes more sense to me. Dual CFe cards could be a heat issue for the R5 in stills mode so that alone would nix dual cards for Canon.

Upvote 0
It would have been news if that wasn't the case. Of course blackout will be banished, but lag comes down to EVF refresh rate. The A9 has noticeable lag. If they put a low refresh rate even the stacked sensor won't help. I'm hoping it's a minimum of 120Hz at full res and that it's at least 5.76MP, but a bump to 7.37MP (1920 x 1280) would be nice.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Blackout has never been an issue for me and the R5. Blackout was never an issue in DSLRs either.
With each new camera or sensor reviewers seem to search for a new "issue"...

...Frankly, any new issue found today will most likely need a microscope to see.
Well, lag time is a very real issue for me. Just because it doesn't affect how you use your camera doesn't mean it doesn't affect others.

Upvote 0

Schumey

CR Pro
Sep 15, 2020
I don't understand why Canon would put an SD card slot in a camera like the R3. It would make more sense to provide two Cfexpress slots and anyone who can afford the camera will certainly be able to afford the more expensive type of memory cards.. A camera "built for speed" should have the fastest available memory cards and nothing less.
I have a feeling that the R3 will essentially be the "mirrorless 1DX Mark III", inheriting that camera's "pro sports shooter" role. Further, I bet the R1 is in the works and will be Canon's "megapixel monster", likely with between 75 and 85MP.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.... And potentially really hard on my credit cards!
I think considering how hot one CFExpress card gets, two would be unmanageable. I'm an R5 user and I'm constantly amazed how hot this card gets, even in an external reader.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I know a birder who recently upgraded to R5(sold his 1Dx for R5) and he hasn't complained of lag, only thing he complained was weak battery life.
I definitely get lag on the R6. Not so much in ES but due to the rolling shutter that is no good when panning. With the EFC or full mech shutter there is definitely some lag. The more I use it the more I can learn to del with it but it still means that if conditions are good enough (re light) then I will shoot with the 7d2

Upvote 0