The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

It's not physically possible for a mirrorless system to actually fully eliminate lag. Even SLRs can't fully, 100% eliminate lag, and they have a much faster and simpler pipeline to work with.

It's not physically possible to make a audio transmitter system which fully eliminate lag either. TV streamer are notorious for this.

But if you are down below a certain limit, there is not human discernable difference (around 20msec latency as I recall) And that's what we should be looking at: When is it "good enough" that we cannot perceive the lag.

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Very excited about the R3 and about what Canon can bring to the table!
The R5 and R6 are amazing and I’m so glad I stuck with the brand :)

I saw many comments regarding battery life on the new cameras, so I have a tip: if you are doing work which does not require extremely low latency (see landscape, street or “normal” portraiture) I highly suggest using the Camera’s LCD and the electronic shutter. A month ago I shot most of an event using only the LCD and 20fps burst and one LP-E6NH battery lasted me for over 4000+ shots
Hope it helps!

Attachments

• 4AB2EB34-AC71-4C5E-8A85-926D27521DCD.jpeg
    4AB2EB34-AC71-4C5E-8A85-926D27521DCD.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have definitely noticed the battery life shortcomings of the R5. Whenever I used to read about the battery life on the 5D or the original R, I couldn't understand why the reviewers or even Canon's stated battery life was so far below what I was getting. I could shoot all day with one battery, over a 1000 frames no problem. Now, I shoot for an hour and the battery is already half drained. It's definitely the worst battery life of any Canon I've owned, and this is the 6th DSLR I've had that used this kind of battery.
An hour's shooting in electronic shutter is 72,000 shots - that's nothing to complain about. You are doing much better than most here who only get a 1000 or so https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...birders-and-other-telephoto-lens-users.40187/

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Imaging-resource.com measures shutter lag. For what it's worth, here are screenshots for the 1DXII, R (they haven't done the R5), Sony A9 and A7RIV. There's not much to choose between the two Canons, or with the Sony between the stacked low density sensor of the A9 and the 62 Mpx RIV. But, this is for the delay when you press the shutter and not for what you see in the evf after real time.

Shutter_Lag_1dXII.jpgShutter_lag_EOSR.jpgShutter_lag_Sony_A9.jpgA7RIV_shutter_lag.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
But, the R5 doesn’t drain the battery in sleep mode.
I’m afraid it does. Nowhere near that when it’s on. But the R5 does have drain when asleep and even when it’s turned off.

Turn the camera off and look at the top screen, you will see that the current mode still shows (Av, Tv, M etc). Power is required to make that happen.

The manual even says that if you are leaving the camera off for an extended period you should remove the battery. I know that during lockdown by R5 flattened it’s battery just sitting turned off.

Try it yourself. Note the battery %, and turn the camera off for a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Turn the camera off and look at the top screen, you will see that the current mode still shows (Av, Tv, M etc). Power is required to make that happen.
If they used E-Ink instead of LCDs, no power would be needed. E-Ink only needs power if the display changes. I have an E-Ink thermometre from Xiaomi and even without the battery, the temperature still shows. It just does not change anymore. So E-Ink would be perfect for settings that are not constantly changing. At the same time it has a much higher contrast than LCD.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
If they used E-Ink instead of LCDs, no power would be needed. E-Ink only needs power if the display changes. I have an E-Ink thermometre from Xiaomi and even without the battery, the temperature still shows. It just does not change anymore. So E-Ink would be perfect for settings that are not constantly changing. At the same time it has a much higher contrast than LCD.
But they don’t. They could just turn the display off, I’ve no idea why they don’t. They’ve done it since the R.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I’m afraid it does. Nowhere near that when it’s on. But the R5 does have drain when asleep and even when it’s turned off.

The manual even says that if you are leaving the camera off for an extended period you should remove the battery. I know that during lockdown by R5 flattened it’s battery just sitting turned off.

You have taken this out of context without reference to the lead up. The point we were talking about was whether to have the camera in sleep mode or turned off when comparing the merits of Nikon having the on/off switch around the shutter button and Canon on the other side. Nikon's advantage is that you can leave the camera turned off and turn it on more quickly than the Canon. I leave the R5 in sleep mode during a shoot so having the on/off on the other side doesn't slow me down. Codebunny then implied the sleep mode would drain the battery. My response was to that. You can leave the camera in sleep mode and there is little drain over a shoot but of course it will run down over an extended period.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US

You are definitely correct. I accidentally left a pair of charged batteries in my R5 vertical grip for several weeks with the camera turned off (likely a couple of months) and when I went to use the camera both batteries were fully discharged! Wow! Normally, I remove batteries from the camera, but in this case I forgot.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I know a birder who recently upgraded to R5(sold his 1Dx for R5) and he hasn't complained of lag, only thing he complained was weak battery life.
I have been shooting two R5s since they came out. I shoot a lot of birds in flight including falcons and swallows and I have found the lag to be inconsequential when in ES. Lag is also not an issue for me when shooting 12fps in MS, but it does creep in when shooting slower fps in MS for me. As far as black out goes, there is none that I can see. Overall, a very effective tool for the fast action I am shooting.

Attachments

• Cliff Swallow banking flight tail look 2000.jpg
    Cliff Swallow banking flight tail look 2000.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 88
  • Cliff Swallow banking flight light 2000.jpg
    Cliff Swallow banking flight light 2000.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • Tree swallow dyn flight midge stab 2500.jpg
    Tree swallow dyn flight midge stab 2500.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 389378

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
On the R6, I close the LCD and run display performance in power saving mode. I may not be as demanding as others, but I find I can do just about everything I want through the EVF. This saves the battery and the camera never has to switch displays. I can go all day on a single battery with ~500 shots. I carry a spare but haven't changed yet during a shoot unless I started with a partial charge.

Closing the LCD saves the delay switching from the LCD to the EVF - it is always in EVF mode. This means just about anything I touch will turn the EVF on immediately - no delay. I can toggle the multicontroller with my thumb, tap the DOF preview button with my ring finger, tap the M-Fn button with my index finger, etc. and the EVF turns on immediately and is fully functional when it reaches my eye.

If I don't do anything, it's about 2 seconds from the time I start lifting the camera, less than a second after my eye reaches the EVF.
Did similar, but really find the non eco mode better.. the slight lag bugs me in Eco.

However, if you are not aware.. there is an option to turn off the back LCD with the INFO button vs closing it. This is better for me as I can with a single finger cycle the info to turn it on again quickly vs opening the LCD..

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You have taken this out of context without reference to the lead up. The point we were talking about was whether to have the camera in sleep mode or turned off when comparing the merits of Nikon having the on/off switch around the shutter button and Canon on the other side. Nikon's advantage is that you can leave the camera turned off and turn it on more quickly than the Canon. I leave the R5 in sleep mode during a shoot so having the on/off on the other side doesn't slow me down. Codebunny then implied the sleep mode would drain the battery. My response was to that. You can leave the camera in sleep mode and there is little drain over a shoot but of course it will run down over an extended period.

I did not imply sleep mode would drain the battery. Sleep mode works about the same regardless of the brand, but having the power button near/on the shutter brings the camera to ready quicker than wake from sleep on any DSLR, if not quicker, it is certainly more deliberate.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I did not imply sleep mode would drain the battery. Sleep mode works about the same regardless of the brand, but having the power button near/on the shutter brings the camera to ready quicker than wake from sleep on any DSLR, if not quicker, it is certainly more deliberate.
OK, it wasn't clear.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
What makes you think the R1 will be high mp ? The R1 is going to be aimed at Pro sports shooters just like the 1DXiii and they have no need for very high resolution just high speed , dependability and efficient workflow.
Canon have stated that the R3 is not their replacement for the 1DXiii so the R1 probably is.
There's a rumoured high mp R5 variant which seems much more likely
Highly unlikely. Why have two pro body low mp bodies? There would not be enough difference in market segmentation between the two - they would be competing against each other.

This would leave the Nikon Z9 as the only high mp pro body camera. Doesn’t sound like a winning strategy.

Upvote 0
I have been shooting two R5s since they came out. I shoot a lot of birds in flight including falcons and swallows and I have found the lag to be inconsequential when in ES. Lag is also not an issue for me when shooting 12fps in MS, but it does creep in when shooting slower fps in MS for me. As far as black out goes, there is none that I can see. Overall, a very effective tool for the fast action I am shooting.

Terrific set of images, Ron!

This has been my experience with the R5, as well. In H+ mechanical and ES, I have had no issues whatsoever tracking and keeping up with birds, even when they’re flying against busy backgrounds and strong backlighting.

I am sure the R3 will be better. However, the R5 still performs extremely well!

Attachments

• BDA3FA9A-06E5-4431-A562-70169F3F40C6.jpeg
    BDA3FA9A-06E5-4431-A562-70169F3F40C6.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DEE07F09-01A5-4718-91CE-6EDFE9003BCA.jpeg
    DEE07F09-01A5-4718-91CE-6EDFE9003BCA.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
After a little more use s/he will have another complaint: the r5 often focuses on background, rather than birds, in a forest/jungle. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/problems-with-af-on-birds-r5.39490/
Most of birders here rarely shoot in jungle/forest habitat(very few people have know how and patience for this habitat), its mostly wetlands or open grasslands where birders spend their time.

He needs to add the vertical grip for 2x batteries. What bugs me about the grip is the cost. The Canon grip for the R cost $350 USD but includes the USB-C port and the Canon “blessed” USB charger and cable. The R5 grip also lists for $350 but the USB-C port and associated circuitry is already in place on the R5 body so no charging port on the grip and no USB charger but still the same high price… :(
He has ordered the grip but like everything else it's on backorder(delivery time given is minimum of 30 days by dealer).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
After a little more use s/he will have another complaint: the r5 often focuses on background, rather than birds, in a forest/jungle. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/problems-with-af-on-birds-r5.39490/
Read the last post in that thread. If you learn how to use the R5 and toggle back button focussing between centre point and full tracking, the problems are not that troubling. By the way, have you used the R5 and found that problem?

The same is reported to occur even with the the Sony A1 https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1699402
It is indeed true that DSLRs are programmed to focus on the nearest object whereas mirrorless can get stuck on backgrounds, and there are many complaints about it. So, in these situations, use a DSLR if it troubles you. I have what is probably the best medium weight DSLR gear for AF - Nikon D850 and D500 with the 500mm PF - but I'll take out my R5/100-500mm on just about every occasion because overall I'll get more keepers. I don't have many problems using the R5 to shoot small birds against busy backgrounds, and that is what I do most.

Upvote 0