The Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 won’t ship for a while

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The world is in the middle of a pandemic that Japan denied. Canon isn't the only manufacturer in a holding pattern. There's plenty more info about the R5 to be released. There were plenty of testers in the field. Lot's of test results. Stills, video, cooling, recording time etc. Quite sure Canon will be releasing more and more info. There still is no price list yet. So to say, "there's not much more to tell", is simply not true. Photographers and videographers would like to see hands on results from field testers and users of the latest installed inhancements and funcionalities. Mot of what is known now is simply text.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
paying off a Canon 70200 in instalments may find you in an extreme financial hardship situation for the next 30 years at least provided you are still on a good income by then. :)

Well, given that you'd pretty much have to be a founding shareholder in Micro$haft to even make the downpayment--I imagine that stock will still be pretty solid 30 years from now.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Hm, what kind of features do you mean?
I personaly have not much doubt in both, video and photo features.

40mp sensor (given buy the fact it has 8k on full sensor width), 20fps is confirmed als well

Knowing a top-line spec doesn't mean you know the fine print, like (none of this confirmed, I'm just riffing here):
  • 20 fps e-shutter... with AF locked at first exposure, or JPG / compressed RAW only
  • 12 fps mechanical... but only 5 fps when you need Eye AF or servo/tracking working
Stuff like that. Especially on the e-shutter / higher fps side of things, I'd be stunned if we get full RAW files with all AF features turned on.

But that does not diminish the appeal too much for me -- I'm just curious to see what 'Canon over-committing to a spec sheet' looks like in reality once the camera ships.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
But hey, what about just launch this camera now, take your loss and come up with an updated R7 in december or whatever..

1) Because Canon may have a very hard time maintaining a premium price if there are no weddings, gatherings or sports to shoot.

2) Because their supply chain in some way is probably impacted by the coronavirus.

So I'm not bummed at timing at all. I am more surprised at the cagey dole out of R5 teasers from Canon, because those were mid-January -- before Covid really took off. This R5 teaser campaign seems more deliberately planned than rushed out due to the virus.

As great as the specs are, doling them out in installments with no price or release date out there feels like a defensive announcement strategy. Why? Were they worried about getting scooped by new Sony A7 or A7S announcement or something?

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I am wondering whether Canon marketing guys are happy enough to have people worried about a steep R5 price tag while the specs seem to good to be believed. That way any price under 4K will seem like a bargain, at least to some people, and a few asterisks on the specs may be forgiven. On the other hand, Covid may have screwed things up so much there is no marketing gameplan at this point.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I am wondering whether Canon marketing guys are happy enough to have people worried about a steep R5 price tag while the specs seem to good to be believed. That way any price under 4K will seem like a bargain, at least to some people, and a few asterisks on the specs may be forgiven. On the other hand, Covid may have screwed things up so much there is no marketing gameplan at this point.

I think Canon is (a) in love with the historical 5D price point, (b) eager to win users back from Sony and (c) believe they may see rosier financials on an R-mount body (versus a 5D SLR) as there will be pullthrough of RF lens sales.

$3499. Holding firm on my estimate.

-- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The Canon R5 is looking like it will be my next, and possibly last, pro camera body because I don't expect to keep at this for more than a few more years. I'll be comparing it closely to the R6 to see if the price premium is worth it, but I suspect that the R6 will not cut it for me. And as my last pro body, the specs are looking very good. But the proof is in the pudding as they say.
The only wild card at this point is what does Sony have planned for the next A7s. The R5 and the A7s mk III are going to go head to head. I'm giving Canon the edge at this point, but Sony has emerged as a formidable alternative.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I think Canon is (a) in love with the historical 5D price point, (b) eager to win users back from Sony and (c) believe they may see rosier financials on an R-mount body (versus a 5D SLR) as there will be pullthrough of RF lens sales.

$3499. Holding firm on my estimate.

-- A
I'm still holding firm on my guess that it will be between $2999 and $3499. They have to jumpstart their market share to get people to buy their bodies so that they will also buy even more stunning lenses, which is where they'll make a lot more money than in their bodies. And Sony won't be standing still at all - Canon is not trying to pass a company that's standing still, they're trying to pass a company that is stepping on the gas big time!

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Knowing a top-line spec doesn't mean you know the fine print, like (none of this confirmed, I'm just riffing here):
  • 20 fps e-shutter... with AF locked at first exposure, or JPG / compressed RAW only
  • 12 fps mechanical... but only 5 fps when you need Eye AF or servo/tracking working
Stuff like that. Especially on the e-shutter / higher fps side of things, I'd be stunned if we get full RAW files with all AF features turned on.

But that does not diminish the appeal too much for me -- I'm just curious to see what 'Canon over-committing to a spec sheet' looks like in reality once the camera ships.

- A
Ah okay, jeah thats indeed going to be interesting. I guess the drawback in high-fps-mode we get with Continous AF will be comparable to the last generation. So maybe 40-50% less fast FPS if you use servo-AF.
I think the EOS R got 8fps and 5fps with AF Servo, So I think we can expect around 10-12fps with AF Servo and 20fps without on the R5. Which would be still impressive <3
Its gonna be certainly exciting, anyway :)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
At this point, I'm 100% sure the R5 is my next camera and probably the first I ever pre-order. My 5D3 is going on six years now and has taken an absolute beating, it could really use a replacement. Even if let's say maybe the R5 tops out at 8 FPS with autofocus, which I highly doubt is the case when Canon is obviously targeting the Sony A9 with the 20 FPS electronic, it's still a huge improvement over the 5D3.

I like the EOS R at my work, but the ergonomics are annoying. The R5 solves all of that with readding the quick control dial and the AF joystick, which is my primary desire for a camera.

Now that said, if the 20 FPS has autofocus and no viewfinder delay after taking a photo, that might very well turn the R5 into a new primary camera over my 1DX2.

Upvote 0
Like I said this will be a Xmas camera for those willing to wait - not that they may have any choice. I’ll never pre-order a camera no matter how good, I’ll wait for the beta testers to sort it out and pay full price. Demand will be insane and supply limited, even by Xmas it’ll probably be hard to get easily, especially in non-USA countries that get screwed over.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
At this point, I'm 100% sure the R5 is my next camera and probably the first I ever pre-order. My 5D3 is going on six years now and has taken an absolute beating, it could really use a replacement. Even if let's say maybe the R5 tops out at 8 FPS with autofocus, which I highly doubt is the case when Canon is obviously targeting the Sony A9 with the 20 FPS electronic, it's still a huge improvement over the 5D3.

I like the EOS R at my work, but the ergonomics are annoying. The R5 solves all of that with readding the quick control dial and the AF joystick, which is my primary desire for a camera.

Now that said, if the 20 FPS has autofocus and no viewfinder delay after taking a photo, that might very well turn the R5 into a new primary camera over my 1DX2.
I preordered the 5D IV and the 35 1.4 II both were extremely good experiences

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
And... Canon is doing it wrong AGAIN! WTF, give us these cameras you crazy idiots!
It is all about sales and revenue figures. They are affraid the camera won't sell in Corona times.
And of course this is true. Who want's to invest when unemployed? Not me..
But hey, what about just launch this camera now, take your loss and come up with an updated R7 in december or whatever.. Keeping a product away from us as long as economy is down is just sick and sad. But hey, Canon will always surprise you :) What's next? A mirrorless pro body for 9000 euros?
Who's the crazy idiot? The release date for this camera was July. It is April. No one is keeping this camera "away from us."
But hey, why not just launch the camera now? Because it is not ready. Because factories are closed because the global pandemic. Because parts are hard to come by because factories are closed because of the global pandemic.
You do understand that there is a global pandemic. So they are not "keeping the camera away from us as long as the economy is down."
What's sick and sad is how someone can be so clueless and have their priorities so screwed up durihng a global pandemic.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I preordered the 5D IV and the 35 1.4 II both were extremely good experiences
Good to know. Have never done it before, but especially with the concern over supply and stock I'd like to get the R5 as soon as possible, my 5D3 could really be on its last legs. I'd almost pick up a 5D4 awhile since I love the one I use at my job, but I probably won't buy another camera for at least the next 4 years after this year, and would like to be able to pick up RF lenses along the way, like the 28-70. I like the EOS R my work has, but i just would not want to put up with the viewfinder delay and control scheme when we're so close to far better, updated tech.

Upvote 0