The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

I just did a search and don't see customize layout for the Q screen (quick control).

On the 5D4 you can place controls wherever you want on the Q screen and hide ones you don't use. Anyone see this feature described? I will be frustrated if they removed this, it is one of my favorite features of the 5D4 and 6D2. Nothing beats configuring the touch locations and display to your liking. For example when I press Q on the 5D4, my custom screen shows only Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed on the top row and drive mode, focus mode, and WB on the bottom. I got rid of all the junk I don't need to see frequently and positioned those where I can touch them with thumbs easily.

Does the 5D4 have a Favorites menu that you can customize? I know it could be 1 more step to get at compared to just clicking the Q (depending upon the last time you were in your menus if you were at your favorites or not).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Does the 5D4 have a Favorites menu that you can customize? I know it could be 1 more step to get at compared to just clicking the Q (depending upon the last time you were in your menus if you were at your favorites or not).

5D4 does have custom user tabs and looks like the R5 will too, but they are not nearly so easy to hit with thumbs or position where you want, and takes a few clicks to get to them, plus I don't think basics like ISO, shutter, etc can be added to menu tabs. I use the tabs all the time on 5D4 for less frequently accessed functions like at the start of a session. I have a tab for astro settings, landscape settings, etc. Tabs are great for things like LCD brightness, interval timers, noise reduction, but not for the basic camera settings. The custom Q menu was one of the best ideas, hopefully it will come back.

Upvote 0
R5 is shipping in 2 days in some locations but there is still no advice on what CFe cards are supported. Very strange
"For details on CFexpress cards that can record at each level of movie recording quality, check the Canon website"

on Page 904, the SD cards are specified by the "V" rating including V60/90 for 8K IPB recording. I'm annoyed as I ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 128GB SD card and it is only UHS speed 3 which manages 4k IPB only :-(

EDIT: I found https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/ which seems to test actual read/write speeds and some U3 cards have a faster (sustained?) write speed than V90 rated. Is the V rating fixed in hardware to tell the camera what can be recorded?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I ordered mine the morning of and I’m driving myself nuts wondering when it’s going to be on its way...

I know the product page has said it will start shipping Thursday, but some people noticed B&H will be closed Wednesday afternoon and Thursday:

TISHA B’AV HOLIDAY CLOSING Our SuperStore, Sales, Store Pickup & Customer Service will close at 5pm Wed Jul 29 & be closed all day, Thu Jul 30.

The question is whether that includes the warehouse being closed. I just noticed the glass I was going to wait until tomorrow to order (in hopes it would arrive together with the R5 on Friday), jumped from a "Want it by Thu 7/30? Order now" message this afternoon to "Want it by Tue 8/4? Order now", even though it's still in stock. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I know the product page has said it will start shipping Thursday, but some people noticed B&H will be closed Wednesday afternoon and Thursday:

The question is whether that includes the warehouse being closed. I just noticed the glass I was going to wait until tomorrow to order (in hopes it would arrive together with the R5 on Friday), jumped from a "Want it by Thu 7/30? Order now" message this afternoon to "Want it by Tue 8/4? Order now", even though it's still in stock. :(

If they pull this one, payboo or no payboo, they’ll never get another penny from me.

Thanks for the tip 1D4 - you could have saved me from a heart attack.

EDIT:

from their site:

“Our SuperStore, Sales, Store Pickup & Customer Service will close at 5pm Wed Jul 29 & be closed all day, Thu Jul 30.”

It doesn’t say warehouse but I really don’t know what it means in relation to orders being released for shipment.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I'll try contacting them tomorrow to find out.

Customer service is closed tomorrow and Thursday. So are the Superstore, Store Pickup, and Sales. It doesn’t say anything about the warehouse but I have no idea how their system works.

Doomed. We’re doomed. I just know it. Doomed.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I've never pre-ordered and usually buy refurbished. This time I pre-ordered less than 2 minutes after the pre-order was open. I will NOT patiently wait, it's cold in my house and I want my heater NOW. :p

Just kidding, I don't care about this overheating nonsense unless it is way worse than described by all the hype, mostly want the amazing stills!

Same with usually not pre-ordering and usually buying refurbished... but me not buying the EOS R is my act of patiently waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Customer service is closed tomorrow and Thursday. So are the Superstore, Store Pickup, and Sales. It doesn’t say anything about the warehouse but I have no idea how their system works.

Doomed. We’re doomed. I just know it. Doomed.

Arghhh one of the frustrations with BH, hopefully the shipping is not affected. I respect their religious choice and values, and the fact they honor them over business is not a bad thing. However, running a business that large it is not very practical for the rest of us to have their ordering and shipping shut down. Usually they are very good at warning you ahead of time, but not for pre-orders perhaps? Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised and receive our cameras early or on time anyway. From what I have heard around the interwebs, on most of these holidays, neither the owners can work nor their employees as they believe working and causing others to work is the same and both are prohibited.

If not, I wish they would pre-warn on the site if an anticipated pre-order will be delayed. I have enough trouble trying to be home from travel for the delivery window as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-183343_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-183343_Drive.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 530
  • Haha
  • Sad
Upvote 0
R5 is shipping in 2 days in some locations but there is still no advice on what CFe cards are supported. Very strange
"For details on CFexpress cards that can record at each level of movie recording quality, check the Canon website"

on Page 904, the SD cards are specified by the "V" rating including V60/90 for 8K IPB recording. I'm annoyed as I ordered a Sandisk extreme pro 128GB SD card and it is only UHS speed 3 which manages 4k IPB only :-(

EDIT: I found https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/ which seems to test actual read/write speeds and some U3 cards have a faster (sustained?) write speed than V90 rated. Is the V rating fixed in hardware to tell the camera what can be recorded?

For CFexpress cards.
I got a hold of the Canon engineer team. They said for the highest recording modes (8k RAW) you must have a card that can sustain over 400MB/s minimum write speed. Don't confuse this with Max speed. Only a few brands actually give this information.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Unfortunately 20 FPS is 12-bit raw, and 12 FPS is 13-bit raw. 14-bit is limited to 8 FPS.

This doesn't matter if you're shooting above 800 ISO since the dynamic range is already limited by that ISO, but at ISO 100 these raws will definitely have less dynamic range in the highlights. Anti-flicker shooting is also limited to 6.2 fps, which is a shame since the 1DX2/3 can do it at 10+ FPS. Definitely still have a place in my kit for my 1DX2 with these considerations, anti-flicker saves my life in a lot of sporting events, and I'll be interested to see how much the dynamic range takes a hit at 12 fps and 20 fps.
this is the first time I've heard of the bits changing.. is this accurate? do you have a source for this info? (not challenging, but genuinely curious)

Upvote 0

I can confirm this. I haven't seen it in the manual but a few weeks ago I got hands on with a preproduction model it has it. It was one of my first questions. The custom favorite menu is the best!

Upvote 0