The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Going to continue to wait for reviews first. This is what happens when marketing hype is bought into, I’m afraid.

MILC cameras hold enormous potential, yes - but are they TRULY ready to replace the DSLR in all applications? I’m not yet convinced.

I think there are some things a DSLR will always do better...but I also think that as time goes on that will turn out to be a very short list.

This is true now, by the way, for film cameras, which is why they're not quite dead. Fifteen years from now DSLRs will probably be about where film is today: Looked at by completely unknowledgeable people as dinosaurs, but understood by some to still have their place.

Upvote 0
I must’ve misunderstood something, but I thought the 4K HQ was just as bad when it comes to overheating and that recording externally only marginally improved that?

I wanna love the R5 and I don’t shoot video so some of the concerns others have I don’t, but 12 bit raw seems like you can’t fully take advantage of the upgrade.

According to Gerald Undone he tested the EOS R5 with the Atomos Ninja V and he reported over 3 hour non stop recording. I have the Atomos Inferno so after i get the R5 I will let you know, but it seems it can be done.

12 bit raw is more than enough. 16 bit is better? Yes, it can be but not so much you can definitely see the difference. And most of the projects are not recorded in RAW unless you have a big budget. Too much data, too much processing power, too much time lost....i only used raw once...and abandoned. I Prefer to shoot in HDR (HLG in Sony) and then edit and convert to REC709

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
According to Gerald Undone he tested the EOS R5 with the Atomos Ninja V and he reported over 3 hour non stop recording. I have the Atomos Inferno so after i get the R5 I will let you know, but it seems it can be done.

12 bit raw is more than enough. 16 bit is better? Yes, it can be but not so much you can definitely see the difference. And most of the projects are not recorded in RAW unless you have a big budget. Too much data, too much processing power, too much time lost....i only used raw once...and abandoned. I Prefer to shoot in HDR (HLG in Sony) and then edit and convert to REC709
Thanks (y) I meant 14 bit vs 12 bit for stills. I was kind of expecting the R5 would shoot 12 bit electronic and 14 bit 12 fps, perhaps that was always unrealistic, I don’t know. But the DR can’t really be above 12 stops at 12 bit compared to 14 bit being the higheat possible, no? So if the R5 only shoots single shots at 14 bit, does that mean there is less DR shooting bursts than the R has during bursts?

Upvote 0
Some are shipping early. Mine shipped today and same with another on FM.

AHHHHHH, Bastids....!

Gimme gimme!!!!!!!

Enjoy, you lucky buggers you.....

Fingers crossed mines here for the weekend.

I'm a little freaked out by all these frame rate variations based on lens type etc, but lucky I have the RF50 and RF85 for the R5, but no 70-200 2.8 Mk2 at high speed is an odd one. Or 200/2 for example, the EF lens line up is now quite confusing in regard to 12fps on the R5. My 1DX3 just seems to fly on anything, you know as much as I am so please to be able to own them both a tiny part of me is scratching the noggin with some of the fine print.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
AHHHHHH, Bastids....!

Gimme gimme!!!!!!!

Enjoy, you lucky buggers you.....

Fingers crossed mines here for the weekend.

I'm a little freaked out by all these frame rate variations based on lens type etc, but lucky I have the RF50 and RF85 for the R5, but no 70-200 2.8 Mk2 at high speed is an odd one. Or 200/2 for example, the EF lens line up is now quite confusing in regard to 12fps on the R5. My 1DX3 just seems to fly on anything, you know as much as I am so please to be able to own them both a tiny part of me is scratching the noggin with some of the fine print.
Agreed, the 18-55 supports 12 fps, but the 200’f2 does not? Can this be rectified with a firmware for the 200 f2 perhaps? I’m not sure what causes it to be compatible or not..

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Possibly good news for some of us that ordered one of the new bodies from BH Photo. I ordered minutes into the pre-order and my order status has now changed from New Order to Order In Progress since last night. So, I expect/hope they are trying to ship some today before their religious holiday shutdown. It would be great to get before the weekend and not have to re-plan being home from travel for a new unknown shipping window.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
At low ISO it is, not a big difference at high iso, though. If I recall correctly www.photonstophotos compared the DR of the 1DX III( that features practically the same sensor as the R6) with using mechanical vs electronic shutter. Difference in DR practically disappears around ISO 800-1600.
1dx3 shoots 14bit files at over 14FPS. There is less data to play with At 12bit :)

Upvote 0
Agreed, the 18-55 supports 12 fps, but the 200’f2 does not? Can this be rectified with a firmware for the 200 f2 perhaps? I’m not sure what causes it to be compatible or not..
It's odd, not looked to hard into it but say the new 70-200 2.8 iii has the newer motor drive and IS unit (and there was I thinking the Mk3 was just a paint job), there must be some funky new system that's quicker, less hungry for power, who knows, all I know is there seems (from the 3 mins I've spent looking) to be no easy way to ID the ones that run at 12fps and those that don't, other than RF lenses seem unaffected, EF on the other hand you are going to need to take reference from the manual to know for sure, unless when said lens is attached it limits the FPS in a menu somewhere so you can SEE what's what rather than looking it up or guessing. Stuff that I am sure will be clear when the camera arrives. Just a shame there is no written explanation for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ok, let us be honest, all this nitpicking over fps, and 12 bit, 16 bit. Will, it matter much for most of the work people are going to shoot with the camera. It is a tool. Not every tool will be the best for every job. If I am going to shoot a feature film, I will do it on a cine camera, if I am going to shoot product photos I am likely not going to shoot it on a Leica q. Not everybody has the money to own every camera out there; that is why rental houses have thrived for years. As a professional, I don't worry if the camera I buy is going to work in every situation I might encounter. I ask myself two questions is this the right tool for the job that I am buying it to do and will it pay for itself in 18 months. If it is not going to pay for itself in time, it is something I rent per project. Now, if I were an enthusiast I would ask myself the same question, what is it I want to be able to do 90% of the time, does this camera accomplish that? How often will I need to shoot 20fps? How often do I need more than 10 mins of 8k video? Think of it like this yes, a Bugatti can go really fast, really quickly, but driving in city traffic a Prius may be a better tool. Maybe I just should not read the comments sections any more :) I get too worked up......

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It was in this thread above - the R5 does 14 bit when below 12fps, that is at 8fps and lower.
At least that’s something though (y) wish it was at least 10 and a real step up from the R. I can’t justify nearly $6000 for a camera I can’t use to it’s potential ... people always say “it’s more camera than I’ll ever need” but Ithink to myself , no, not for me, I use my gear to the full extent always and hit scenarios or limits all the time where I could’ve had good use of something not available yet. And the R5 seem(s)(ed) like the perfect compromise between the R and 1dx2 I used to have, finally the best AF, IBIS, high res, crazy fps etc, but I’m not convinced....

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Possibly good news for some of us that ordered one of the new bodies from BH Photo. I ordered minutes into the pre-order and my order status has now changed from New Order to Order In Progress since last night. So, I expect/hope they are trying to ship some today before their religious holiday shutdown. It would be great to get before the weekend and not have to re-plan being home from travel for a new unknown shipping window.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I just got off chat with B&H customer service (an hour-long wait, BTW), and they told me that 1) the warehouse is also closed when the rest of the company is and 2) "The date you see on our website is for a manufacturer restriction for if the item comes into our stock before that listed date, we can only ship it after 07/30." I asked a few times if that meant it would only start shipping on Friday, and the CSR didn't quite answer that. He asked me if I wanted to split my order (I also had the 100-500mm in it) as he said I wouldn't get the R5 until the 100-500mm came into stock, otherwise(???). Really confused, as the 100-500mm had Backordered status, obviously, but the R5 changed to New Order yesterday, I believe. I really hope splitting it didn't mess up my place in line (as my order was within the first minute). He said it wouldn't, but who knows... :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0