The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
At least that’s something though (y) wish it was at least 10 and a real step up from the R. I can’t justify nearly $6000 for a camera I can’t use to it’s potential ... people always say “it’s more camera than I’ll ever need” but Ithink to myself , no, not for me, I use my gear to the full extent always and hit scenarios or limits all the time where I could’ve had good use of something not available yet. And the R5 seem(s)(ed) like the perfect compromise between the R and 1dx2 I used to have, finally the best AF, IBIS, high res, crazy fps etc, but I’m not convinced....
Even if your lens is on the 12FPS compatibility list (and my EF 70-200/2.8 II is not), the 12fps speed is only available with battery level above 60% and only wide open And 13bit files. So it’s generally an 8FPS camera in My situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm not too bothered about the FPS thing, but it is confusing, and what happened to the good old days when a camera just did a frame rate end of. That said I did a lazy afternoon last week on the 1DX3 at 20fps, just sprayed that thing to death, I had 7 images to post on Facebook of my kids, out of 1200 total, so that's 1193 I don't need haha
Took me an hour to chimp them all. :D from now on its single shot mode.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
For me the most frustrating and even infuriating thing is the lack of GPS. Ok it's available through Bluetooth and a smartphone. Fine. But apparently the CameraConnect app must be active in order to update GPS! That makes it totally useless. I'm not going to keep CameraConnect active all the time during shooting. This makes GPS absolutely unusable.

View attachment 191632

I use the CameraConnect app with my RP. The app can be in the background, it just can't be shut down. Some cameras even let you transfer the coordinates to the camera after the fact (the RP doesn't)

Not sure why you think this renders the GPS functionality useless. I have used it many times and it works just fine. How do you expect your phone to log your GPS coordinates if you don't have an active app logging it?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Even if your lens is on the 12FPS compatibility list (and my EF 70-200/2.8 II is not), the 12fps speed is only available with battery level above 60% and only wide open And 13bit files. So it’s generally an 8FPS camera in My situation.
Exactly, it’s too many conditions for anyone to keep track of while shooting. And considering the , excuse my language, pisspoor battery capacity I don’t know who this camera is for any longer. It’s too expensive for those who would buy it for fun and it’s too limited for the serious photographer... but I’ll reserve my final judgement until after insee
All the tests and user experience ...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I know this is off topic, but my BH order says "Order in Progress"...

Any guesses if I'll be in the first shipment that goes out tomorrow?

I didn't place my order until about an hour after they were available so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
You still have about a month.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Exactly, it’s too many conditions for anyone to keep track of while shooting. And considering the , excuse my language, pisspoor battery capacity I don’t know who this camera is for any longer. It’s too expensive for those who would buy it for fun and it’s too limited for the serious photographer... but I’ll reserve my final judgement until after insee

Is 20 MP inadequate for "fun"?

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Possibly good news for some of us that ordered one of the new bodies from BH Photo. I ordered minutes into the pre-order and my order status has now changed from New Order to Order In Progress since last night. So, I expect/hope they are trying to ship some today before their religious holiday shutdown. It would be great to get before the weekend and not have to re-plan being home from travel for a new unknown shipping window.
Mine as well (order complete 4 minutes after it went on sale) and they have charged my card as well. If they get them out before 5pm, hopefully that means we'll have them tomorrow with the 1-day shipping!
EDIT: Also saw 1D4's post above and I'm hoping that the ambiguity is around the July 30 "release" date. I know other retailers have already shipped, and we shouldn't be penalized by their religious restrictions. Their site still shows a July 30th date which wouldn't (shouldn't?) be the case if they are unable to ship until August.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I know this is off topic, but my BH order says "Order in Progress"...

Any guesses if I'll be in the first shipment that goes out tomorrow?

I didn't place my order until about an hour after they were available so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Check my post on the previous page...B&H is closed tomorrow, and that includes the warehouse. They told me they wouldn't ship it until after 7/30. I asked more than once if that meant it would start shipping Friday, and he wouldn't clarify.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My BH order went from pre-order, to backordered, to now new order today. Confirmed it’s shipping on Thursday.

My battery grip is still backordered though...
I ordered on 7/9/20 from B&H and my order went from "Backordered" to "Order in Progress"? I assume that it's being processed but not sure? My batter grip is still "back ordered."

Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...
In case you didn't know, any camera will produce lower quality photos at higher temperatures, since high temperature increases noise (especially on already high ISO speeds). It was the case on my point-and-shoot, it's the case on my 700D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

Too limited for the serious photographer? You say you will reserve judgement but seem to already have an opinion. What are you shooting with now and what burst capabilities does it have? Just curious.

This will likely be a fantastic camera for landscape, astrophotography, timelapse, and many other applications with serious and professional use in mind. For fast action and wildlife, this will also produce professional results for many. We have no idea what real battery life will be yet. Just because your use case is not perfectly covered to your liking does not justify the broad generalization does it?

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Check my post on the previous page...B&H is closed tomorrow, and that includes the warehouse. They told me they wouldn't ship it until after 7/30. I asked more than once if that meant it would start shipping Friday, and he wouldn't clarify.

That sucks. I wish they would warn on pre-orders delayed for their holidays ahead of time. Usually they are good about warning you things will be delayed ahead of time but in this case I had no idea until yesterday, from these forums, they were closing. No notice from them. Will now have to change my schedule to be present for the new delivery window, whatever that is.

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
That sucks. I wish they would warn on pre-orders delayed for their holidays ahead of time. Usually they are good about warning you things will be delayed ahead of time but in this case I had no idea until yesterday, from these forums, they were closing. No notice from them. Will now have to change my schedule to be present for the new delivery window, whatever that is.
Yeah it's confusing because they have a banner at the top of their page that says they will close at 5pm today and be closed all day tomorrow, but the R5 item description still says that the item will begin shipping Thursday, July 30. I guess we'll know today or tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
In case you didn't know, any camera will produce lower quality photos at higher temperatures, since high temperature increases noise (especially on already high ISO speeds). It was the case on my point-and-shoot, it's the case on my 700D.
Correct!
This is why Canadian photos taken in the winter are the best! :)

Upvote 0