The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Jan 29, 2011
The best solution is to just use a simple gps app on phone that will record a log file. this will typically be a .gpx file. You can them import the gpx file into lightroom and sync the gps coordinates based on time. (So, you do want to update the clock in the camera to accurate time and you just need to know the time zone offset during import. I have used gps trackers on my phone while on backpack trips without charging the phone. (Only used gps app while hiking 4-5 hrs for 2 days)

Pretty easy solution and does not waste any camera batty capacity while in the field.
Do you have a recommended iOS GPS app?

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
The best solution is to just use a simple gps app on phone that will record a log file. this will typically be a .gpx file. You can them import the gpx file into lightroom and sync the gps coordinates based on time. (So, you do want to update the clock in the camera to accurate time and you just need to know the time zone offset during import. I have used gps trackers on my phone while on backpack trips without charging the phone. (Only used gps app while hiking 4-5 hrs for 2 days)

Pretty easy solution and does not waste any camera batty capacity while in the field.

I'm pretty familiar with this approach and have used it in Lightroom for years - one of the main reasons I use Lightroom actually (the map module) but I use an actual GPS device and not my phone. I don't know if that's the "best solution" though. The best solution for what?

I haven't seen any major difference in battery life keeping the Bluetooth turned on on the camera. I'm sure there is some difference, but it really doesn't seem to be that bad. Also, there's an option to sync the camera time with the phone time when you connect the app which I find super handy and haven't had to do any time offset syncing the pictures. I use my phone as the remote control for my camera quite a bit, so why not transfer the coordinates while you already have the phone connected?

Based on your example, how do you get the coordinates for the pictures you took while you were not hiking (outside of the 4-5 hours)?

As I mentioned, the app also has the ability to log the GPS coordinates even if the camera doesn't have Bluetooth on. This functionality doesn't work with my camera but will probably work with a higher-end camera like the R5.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com

I don't have an iOS recommendation, but depending on the camera you have, the canon camera app can do it for you. It will log the coordinates even if the camera is not connected to the app and will sync the coordinates once you connect. It doesn't work with all of Canon cameras though. For instance, it doesn't work on my RP.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't have an iOS recommendation, but depending on the camera you have, the canon camera app can do it for you. It will log the coordinates even if the camera is not connected to the app and will sync the coordinates once you connect. It doesn't work with all of Canon cameras though. For instance, it doesn't work on my RP.
I’ll be getting an R5 at some point, I currently use 1DX II’s and have found I like having gps data.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Also worth mentioning that it could be your phone killing the app and not allowing it to connect to Bluetooth in the background. There could be settings on your phone that prevent apps in the background to communicate with external devices.

No it's not the phone, but 5DIV is connected through WiFi. Maybe Bluetooth will be different, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Yeah, that's why it's not the best solution actually. Too much hassle with synchronising the camera and phone time, copying files, importing into Lightroom etc.
If the camera connects to the phone automatically, it's the best solution, but I'm yet to try how it'll work with Camera Connect. As above, my previous experience with this app - it disconnects from camera through WiFi as soon as it goes to background. If it works better with Bluetooth, good.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
In case you didn't know, any camera will produce lower quality photos at higher temperatures
O, so true. Noise is a big probelem in long exposures, as well. This is why my Starlight Xpress SX-36 astronomical CCD camera has a thermoelectric cooling system and two fans.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I disagree that that is the simplest solution. Open Canon Camera Connect on your iPhone. Turn bluetooth on. Turn bluetooth on in the camera. Connect to phone. Put phone back in pocket. Take pictures. Subsequent times, it connects automatically.

Upvote 0
Oddly, B&H shipped my grip today. I just checked status and I have a tracking number assigned so it’s actually on its way. I already got my CFE 128GB and the gris is coming - that only leaves the body and the extra battery.
Which CFe card did you choose? Is there a list yet from Canon for what is supported? Given my experience with choosing a SD card, I will wait for the list.

Upvote 0
O, so true. Noise is a big probelem in long exposures, as well. This is why my Starlight Xpress SX-36 astronomical CCD camera has a thermoelectric cooling system and two fans.
Of course, battery life is compromised with lower temperatures... or perhaps not when recording oversampled video in external low temps :)

Upvote 0
Mine is on the way. Should be in my hands tomorrow. I have to say that I am less excited than I would or should be. Recent bad press has made me wonder if I have done the right thing? How could we go from euphoria to dejection in just a few weeks? Maybe I am over reacting to the press? I got a friend who switched to Sony years ago offer to send me a fire extinguisher. When I was out photographing birds with my 5D the conversation with sony and nikon shooters usually went to dynamic range and how poor Canon was. I imagine for the first few months all I will hear is "how many shots before it shuts down?" This lockdown has it's plus side. I can avoid other shooters by saying I need to keep anti-socially distanced. (Which is true anyway). I will be able to avoid the haters.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Which CFe card did you choose? Is there a list yet from Canon for what is supported? Given my experience with choosing a SD card, I will wait for the list.

SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO CFexpress Card Type B - it’s one of the fastest ones out there 1700/1400 and most articles I’ve read say it’s fine for 8K. Not that I plan on shooting a lot of 8K anyway.

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Mine is on the way. Should be in my hands tomorrow. I have to say that I am less excited than I would or should be. Recent bad press has made me wonder if I have done the right thing? How could we go from euphoria to dejection in just a few weeks? Maybe I am over reacting to the press? I got a friend who switched to Sony years ago offer to send me a fire extinguisher. When I was out photographing birds with my 5D the conversation with sony and nikon shooters usually went to dynamic range and how poor Canon was. I imagine for the first few months all I will hear is "how many shots before it shuts down?" This lockdown has it's plus side. I can avoid other shooters by saying I need to keep anti-socially distanced. (Which is true anyway). I will be able to avoid the haters.
I have a friend who shoots sony, and while he isn't a glasshole if he was I would ask him how long his sony can shoot 8k before it overheats. Ask him if he's seen the tests that show the R5 having considerably less noise than the A7RIV at 12800 ISO (and at other ISO levels). I'll show him my RF lenses and talk about how great the 45mp images look, shot with world-class AF, even at bursts of 20 FPS, from a fully weather-sealed body with great ergonomics. Or not, and just let him try it out when he inevitably wants to, because he knows what a great camera it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

1 - I am excited and will continue to be excited until my camera is in my hands and I see for myself whether or not the camera meets MY expectations and needs. I haven’t heard a lot of ‘press’ myself - just ramblings from “influencers” and a one-off partial review here or there.

2 - Only you can decide whether you did the right thing, but personally unless someone is writing the check or swiping the card for my equipment their opinion means nothing to me. If my images look the way I want them to look then that’s good enough for me. I’m not making money off my photography so I only have to please myself. 99 percent of the time the quality of the photo will be the result of the user’s talent and not their equipment choice or specifications. All the dynamic range capability in the world won’t save a bad photo.

3 - I was socially distancing myself while taking photos before it was popular. People in groups can be noisy and that’s the last thing I want when I’m shooting wildlife - some jackass pontificating about their “massive dynamic range” Or how crappy my gear is while I’m sneaking up on a nest.

4 - Haters? Ignore them. It’s the best medicine.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0