The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Mar 4, 2020
Do you have a recommended iOS GPS app?
I use Gaia GPS, but I got it a long time ago when it was relatively inexpensive. It now has a free version and a subscription model, but it has more features and downloadable background maps than any other app I know. You can download the maps so you can use it without cell coverage. I do not know if the track log feature is part of the free version, but I think it is.

Upvote 0
I am in Adelaide, and am looking forward to purchasing the R5 in time. It'll be my first Canon mirrorless FF - I have a bunch of Canon DSLRs and lots of EF and EF-S glass, and looking forward to moving to RF glass in the future.

I'm curious if you can shed any more light on hte "CFe approved list" aspect?

I bought a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express Card (B) from Adorama when on sale some months ago (this was after it was confirmed by Canon that the R5 would have 1 x CF Express card slot). I wanted to buy a card while on sale, and to use up some of my PayPal account balance.

Is there an expectation that some CF Express cards will be incompatible (or 'less compatible' than others?) :oops:

The (hopefully) good news is:
a) I've found Sandisk to be super reliable on all my Canon DSLRs for almost 20 years
b) On the B&H page, for 'recommended' memory cards for the R5, the exact CF Express card I have displays at the top of the list

I look forward to anyone's input / reply.... :cool:

Regards, PJ
The 1DXiii has an approved CFe list for 5.5k/60 raw at
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1595914608082
The Sandisk 128GB CFe card is not supported but the 512GB card is supported. This bandwidth should be similar to 8K30 raw so it could be an issue. We shall see but I am not buying a card until there is a list published by Canon. On top of this, only the Prograde cards have a spec sheet showing sustained via max write speed. A big difference for their Gold cards between the 2. Only the Cobalt card is almost the same speed. The other brands only specify their max speed.

Page 904 of the R5 manual has the list of SD cards specs needed for various video modes.
I bought a 128GB Sandisk UHS-II SD card but it is only rated U3 and not V30/60/90. I didn't realise that there was a difference. That said, the following website shows that it has a sustained write speed higher than some V90 cards so this is all very weird for me
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/

The R5 manual says that CFe approved cards needs to be found a Canon website but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for sharing the B&H link... very interesting!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I shoot raw all of the time with my Sandisk 128gb cards in the 1dx3. I think the buzz when the camera was released was the 64gb card supplied with the camera would not handle the raw video. It has a slower write speed than the larger CFE cards. I am no video expert though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
The larger ones tend to have the fastest write speeds.
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1595914608082
shows the Sandisk 128GB is not supported... I am glad that you are reporting no issues with it

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I must have something set incorrectly.... I have the R5, set to Servo, but it won't shoot continuously when I hold the button down, though it is very fast when I press it repeatedly. What could I be doing wrong?

Servo is the autofocus mode, not the drive mode. You will want to go to the plain rectangle--that's single shot mode--and change it to one of the other drive modes. (That got me too, for a while.)

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Servo is the autofocus mode, not the drive mode. You will want to go to the plain rectangle--that's single shot mode--and change it to one of the other drive modes. (That got me too, for a while.)

I got it, thanks! One other question - I don't have the high speed modes available. I'm using an RF 50mm f/1.2, I set the shutter to 1/1000 and aperture to f/1.2, left everything else auto (Fv mode), temp is good, airplane mode is on, flicker reduction is off, and both modes are still grayed out. I do have it set to RAW + L, saving to separate cards, and HEIF instead of JPEG, but it doesn't say I can't do that. Any ideas?

Edit: It's DPAF enabled on raw that was the culprit. Dang.

Last edited:
Upvote 0