The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

Most of the incremental improvements in autofocus and processing are useful to me so long as dynamic range and ISO performance up to about 12,000 are preserved. I use the 100-500 f 4.5-7.1 a lot mm a lot so added resolution at then the expense of noise that can not be processed out is a poor tradeoff. A Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 lives on my R5's hot shoe so a built-in weather sealed GPS is desired by me on a R5 II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Any updates on the new R5 MkII ?

Anything on R1?
R5 may have a 4 year refresh cycle.

Those waiting for the replacement of the 2020 Canon EOS R5 body will have to wait for as late as July 2024 for an announcement and November 2024 to be on the shelf.

So at most a 20 month wait.

Odds are higher it may appear with the EOS R1 that was designed for the July 2024 Paris Olympics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi, I have an EOS R5 with several RF lenses and very please with it. I do landscape photography, including milky way and northern lights. In addition I do street photography, documentary, pictures in flea markets and so on, and travel (including street portraits).

I write you because after so many debate I think that for documentary and street photos 1 only camera body is NOT enough as I carry an RF 15-35mm f2,8, an RF 24-70mm f2,8 and a RF 70-200mm f2,8 (or sometimes I replace the last one with the RF 100-500). For specific street portraits I use also the magic RF 85mm f1/2 lens.

So the question is as follow: shall I get a used/nearly new second R5 body, or wait for the R5 Mark II probably by the end of this year (I am not in a hurry). I do NOT do video! But I need for sure high dynamic range with my images, and if possible, to use also the eye, as a eye to make my camera autofocusing (which I believe is already available in the EOS R3). So, if the R5 Mark II might have indeed a much more precise and faster AF I might wait for it, otherwise I will get the same R5 as now. I ask this because despote various tips and back focus settings, I still often get my images not in perfect focus:-(

Upvote 0
So the question is as follow: shall I get a used/nearly new second R5 body, or wait for the R5 Mark II probably by the end of this year (I am not in a hurry). I do NOT do video! But I need for sure high dynamic range with my images, and if possible, to use also the eye, as a eye to make my camera autofocusing (which I believe is already available in the EOS R3). So, if the R5 Mark II might have indeed a much more precise and faster AF I might wait for it, otherwise I will get the same R5 as now. I ask this because despote various tips and back focus settings, I still often get my images not in perfect focus:-(
I've went through multiple marks of 1-series, 5-series, 7-series and xxD RF bodies for exactly 2 decades.

R5 Mark II will be out a little before July 2024 with the R1 for the Paris Olympics that starts that month.

It will come much sooner if Sony, Nikon or even Panasonic comes out with a very compeling full frame body priced and positioned relative to the 2020 R5.

I'd buy a 2nd R5 Mark I body if

- it's a paid gig
- if you do not want to learn a new body
- have a project today that would benefit with a 2 camera setup

More often than not the cameras of the past decade are so sophisticated that any missed shot may be caused by human error relating to settings or not being able to master the camera as if handling a TV remote control.

Speaking for myself and maybe @Del Paso we may just be waiting for the R5 Mark II that will probably be out 17 months from now because we want a new toy. Our current EF bodies probably outperform its user. ;-)

This is just my humble opinion from 20 years of Canon dSLR. ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Thanks Dolina. In essence you say that a second R5 body makes more sense. I might agree with you.
2 last kind questions since you are so kind:

1. through a canon focus I got an offer to buy an R5 used with 5000 shoots only and 2 cards and the cage for 2400 USD. Do you think 40 percent off the B&H price is indeed resonable (It looks like well kept).

2. even with AF set with people, and also back bottom focus enable, when I try to follow a person in the street or a car, or move the cursor from the back bottom and try tom refocus, maybe 20 percent of my images are out of focus. Can you reccomend a solid YouTube video for perfect in focus tutorial? There are too many and probably watch too many it makes my mind a bit messy and sadly around me few few people use an R5.

Upvote 0
Thanks Dolina. In essence you say that a second R5 body makes more sense. I might agree with you.
2 last kind questions since you are so kind:

1. through a canon focus I got an offer to buy an R5 used with 5000 shoots only and 2 cards and the cage for 2400 USD. Do you think 40 percent off the B&H price is indeed resonable (It looks like well kept).

2. even with AF set with people, and also back bottom focus enable, when I try to follow a person in the street or a car, or move the cursor from the back bottom and try tom refocus, maybe 20 percent of my images are out of focus. Can you reccomend a solid YouTube video for perfect in focus tutorial? There are too many and probably watch too many it makes my mind a bit messy and sadly around me few few people use an R5.
Ask the seller if they will agree to have Canon service center do an evaluation or preventive maintenance check at your cost. If it passes then you buy. If not then part ways with only the cost of check up.

40% off is a sweet deal. It may be too good to be true.

What's your shutter speed? For futbol games where the players are running for the ball I set my shutter speed at 1/1000.

If I were to look at the youtube videos I'd go with the ones co-sponsored by Canon as they'll follow the manufacturer's protocol.

1 advantage of buying used is that the previous owner took the hit on depreciation. So if you decide to sell your used R5 for a R5 Mark II 2 years from today then you would not suffer as bad depreciation with that purchase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I've went through multiple marks of 1-series, 5-series, 7-series and xxD RF bodies for exactly 2 decades.

R5 Mark II will be out a little before July 2024 with the R1 for the Paris Olympics that starts that month.

It will come much sooner if Sony, Nikon or even Panasonic comes out with a very compeling full frame body priced and positioned relative to the 2020 R5.

I'd buy a 2nd R5 Mark I body if

- it's a paid gig
- if you do not want to learn a new body
- have a project today that would benefit with a 2 camera setup

More often than not the cameras of the past decade are so sophisticated that any missed shot may be caused by human error relating to settings or not being able to master the camera as if handling a TV remote control.

Speaking for myself and maybe @Del Paso we may just be waiting for the R5 Mark II that will probably be out 17 months from now because we want a new toy. Our current EF bodies probably outperform its user. ;-)

This is just my humble opinion from 20 years of Canon dSLR. ;-)
The only reasons why I'm waiting for an R 5II are:
- the possibility of heavier cropping (I currently own MP 30 and MP 24 cameras)
- a new toy (I know, stupid reason...)
- and, if Canon decide that way, eye-controlled AF (3 almost insensitive fingers)
That's right, the current cameras already make me feel (expletive deleted). :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

puffo25

Jul 18, 2017
italy
Thanks Dolina and Del Paso once again for your amazing support.

OK, I will ask the R5 dealer to send his camera to get an official camera checkup by Canon (you know roughly how much it would cost?).
About eye-controlled AF indeed that would be a perfect match for me, but maybe that camera will cost too much compared to the current R5 and so in conclusion I will not need a Mark II camera.

Question, and I know what you said, among all 1000+ of video tutorials for R5 perfect AF, which one you would reccomand, specifically for street, documentary and moving objects (in principle no birds, no sport), just causal travel images taken during my tourist tours around the globe....? I need something very simple and effective.

Currently I have set My R5 as follow:
1. Manual mode
2. AF on the lens ON (unless I shoot on a very dark scene and I need manual focus or focus pecking)
3. Stabilized on the lens Active (unless I use a tripod)
4-. Method of AF: people + following
5. AF Servo Case 1
6. NON continuous AF
7. Subject to detect: people
8. Eye track ON

When I shoot I normally have the AF target in the center. If I press with the shutter Botton in front, it will focus and then fire up. If I want to move the target focus to the left for example, I use the rear bottom and then the rear back focus. But something I do wrong with this process as too many images get out of focus (I normally shoot at 1/60 sec or above with the 15-35 or 24-70 RF lenses).

I hope you can help me to find a simple and concrete YouTube tutorial. Appreciated.

Upvote 0
OK, I will ask the R5 dealer to send his camera to get an official camera checkup by Canon (you know roughly how much it would cost?).
Price varies country to country. So best to ask Canon service center itself. Odds are the cost would be a fraction of a broken R5.
Question, and I know what you said, among all 1000+ of video tutorials for R5 perfect AF, which one you would reccomand, specifically for street, documentary and moving objects (in principle no birds, no sport), just causal travel images taken during my tourist tours around the globe....? I need something very simple and effective.
I do not own any RF body and the last EF body I owned is a 2015 EOS 5Ds R so I can only tell you that I'd use

- [One-Shot AF] for Still Subjects
- [AI Servo AF] for Moving Subjects
Currently I have set My R5 as follow:
1. Manual mode
2. AF on the lens ON (unless I shoot on a very dark scene and I need manual focus or focus pecking)
3. Stabilized on the lens Active (unless I use a tripod)
4-. Method of AF: people + following
5. AF Servo Case 1
6. NON continuous AF
7. Subject to detect: people
8. Eye track ON

When I shoot I normally have the AF target in the center. If I press with the shutter Botton in front, it will focus and then fire up. If I want to move the target focus to the left for example, I use the rear bottom and then the rear back focus. But something I do wrong with this process as too many images get out of focus (I normally shoot at 1/60 sec or above with the 15-35 or 24-70 RF lenses).

I hope you can help me to find a simple and concrete YouTube tutorial. Appreciated.
Settings below is to freeze person's motion and reduce motion blur.
If I could hazard a guess #1 is your problem. I'd set it for Tv at 1/1000 then set ISO to AutoISO.

I'd position the AF point(s), press and hold AF-ON button on the person you want to photograph and press the shutter button when you want to photograph them.

BTW are you certain you want to buy a 2nd R5 body? If I was in your position I'd spend more time mastering what you have now than to add to your load.

A lot of photogs want to be macho or think they are smarter than the camera they bought but the semi-manual or Program mode is pretty good considering these bodies goes for >$3900. You bought that camera with that tech! Increase its utilization!

The camera shop you bought your camera from may have someone who knows how to use it... ? Might be helpful if you ask them directly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
- and, if Canon decide that way, eye-controlled AF (3 almost insensitive fingers)
Eye-controlled autofocus is a big waste in my opinion. Maybe by the third or fourth generation it will be useful, but I have not found it reliable or even very helpful. I turned it off on the R3 and don’t miss it at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Eye-controlled autofocus is a big waste in my opinion. Maybe by the third or fourth generation it will be useful, but I have not found it reliable or even very helpful. I turned it off on the R3 and don’t miss it at all.
Thank you for mentioning that. I've been using the excuse that I haven't upgraded to mirrorless because I want to extend my replacement cycle to every decade. That will help flesh out why I have not upgraded yet. lol

When the Apple Watch came out I waited for the Series 4, on year 4, before buying into it for the ECG.

There are rumors of a folding iPhone & Apple headset... I'm staying clear of that for at least that long too

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hope R5 MKII has a usable "pre-capture" for stills as the R7 for birders. It needs to be usable in the field, without having to access in the menu. Make it accessible by a programmable button on the body.

Put a manual switch on body for less expensive primes that do not have that switch on the barrel.

Switching from stills to video switch not needed, with programmable multifunction button. Switches instantly.

Upvote 0