The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No doubt that there are a few things that would be simple to change in firmware that Canon (in their wisdom) hasn't.
Arbitrary 30 minute record limit can be added to the list.
Being able to remap the Rate button and high res pixel shift shooting should be simple to add.
Ultimately, the arbitrary list is pretty short though.

Fixing banding under indoor lighting in eshutter would be very useful.
Pre burst would hit battery life I think.
I just wonder: is there anybody using the "rate" button?
If yes, when or how, please?:unsure:

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes. It’s very important for pros shooting on deadline. During halftime, breaks between games or right after the game I would go through my shots and star the possible keepers. Once the images were downloaded I didn’t have to wade through 5,000 frames to find ones to process and post.

People who denigrate the rate button have never had to deliver a photo under time pressure. Even shooting portraits in the studio it was helpful as a first pass through the images so you don’t waste time sifting through hundreds of frames on the computer which takes much longer.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I've used it for years. Basically what @unfocused said above but without the professional/deadline element. When there's lots of similar shots it can help to give ratings during a break to save time later.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yes, to mark the most important shots, that are the first to be edited.
Sometimes I take a lot of similar shots, but there is a particular detail in a shot that I like and want to mark it.
Sometimes we edit images together with my coleagues and I want to emphesise the shots that I think are important.
Sometimes I have time in the middle of a shoot and I try to go over shots to save time later.
Sometimes when shooting on a tripod I take a lot of images that I'm gonna stack together later, and if I do a slight change in between (move the camera a bit or maybe refocus) I mark the image on the beginning of a new series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sometimes when shooting on a tripod I take a lot of images that I'm gonna stack together later, and if I do a slight change in between (move the camera a bit or maybe refocus) I mark the image on the beginning of a new series.
Anyone know if the Rate metadata mark shows up in DxO PL? Typically, I just snap a pic with my hand in front of the lens to separate image groups for stitching or stacking.

Upvote 0
Anyone know if the Rate metadata mark shows up in DxO PL? Typically, I just snap a pic with my hand in front of the lens to separate image groups for stitching or stacking.
Yes it shows up.
And yeah sometimes I use my hand and sometimes I fotget and go back and rate the first frame of the sequence.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If you’re referring to your own posts, congratulations you’ve finally make a correct statement.

Read the following slowly and carefully: assuming a similar generation of sensor technology, pixel size has virtually no impact on image noise, the primary determinant of image noise is sensor size.

You seem to be confusing pixel noise with image noise. The latter matters to photographers, the former to measurebators. Which are you?
Immature insults show your age, they do nothing for the conversation.

Secondly, I will tell you in simple english so you understand. Lower mexapixel cameras have better ISO performance than higher megapixel cameras. That is a FACT, you can take that as you please.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Hearing this often, don't you?

Secondly, I will tell you in simple english so you understand. Lower mexapixel cameras have better ISO performance than higher megapixel cameras. That is a FACT,
Technically, that is a conjecture, not a "FACT". Do you have the word "conjecture" in your Simple English vocabulary?

A fact is a result of measurement on the particular object, not a conclusion from a (potentially incorrect) thought experiment.

The results of the actual measurements (the facts) don't support your opinion. Which likely means that your thought experiment was indeed incorrect.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Secondly, I will tell you in simple english so you understand. Lower mexapixel cameras have better ISO performance than higher megapixel cameras. That is a FACT, you can take that as you please.
I understand what you are saying in simple English. You could just as well have said, "The Earth is flat." That's also a statement in simple English, and it's just as wrong. Your ability to use the shift key and type four letters doesn't make your incorrect statement true.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Simple English. Years ago, lower megapixel cameras had better ISO performance than higher megapixel cameras. Now, with current sensor technology, this is no longer true.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I've had 2 SanDisk 64GB SD cards corrupt in the last couple of years. Fortunately, so far, none of my 4 CFE-B card have corrupted, but if one did while I was far from the nearest city, it would be near impossible to find anywhere where I could quickly get a replacement.

That ought to tell you something about why CFe cards are preferable to SD cards.

QC doesn't seem to be near the priority with SD cards when compared to CFe.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Pixel binning loses pixel detail and hence will always be worse than oversampling the full sensor.
Yes, pixel binning will be "raw" in nature just with a smaller light gathering capacity but oversampling uses the light from the full sensor irrespective of the final file size.
mRAW/sRAW oversampled options would still (as far as I know) have a CR3 file prefix rather than jpg/HEIF file.
Having 2 processors would be needed to do the oversampling at fast frame rates.

What cameras with .CR3 output have mRAW/sRAW options? As far as I'm aware, that stayed with .CR2 and cRAW replaced it with .CR3.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't think anyone here *objects* to more MP. The problem is that we'll likely have only 2 choices - either shoot at maximum megapixel RAW, or if we want smaller file sizes, shoot on lower quality JPEG or HEIF.

It would be much better IMO if hi-res cameras had an option to shoot RAWs at lower resolutions via pixel-binning, so that the full tonal and colour gamut was present. What I'd really like to see is the option to choose between (e.g.) 90MP, 45MP and 22.5MP RAWs.

Canon will easily offer those options: R1 for 90MP, R5 for 45MP, and R6 Mark II for 24MP.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Adjusted for inflation, The R7 is only 2/3rds of the price of the 7D II and it does way more. I'd say it is a bargain by just about any standards.

It doesn't do/have a few things the 7D Mark II does/has, either:

Take a battery grip with vertical controls.
A full magnesium alloy body.
+/- 5 stops exposure compensation.
Built-in GPS.
Top LCD.
Optical VF.

Upvote 0

StefanoEsse

Portraits, landscapes (5DIV, R6)
Nov 28, 2022
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 206850I really would not like enter into such a discussion, but I think that the following graph it more appropriate, if we are speaking about noise. But, maybe I'm wrong....
Read the first note under the graph:
"Notes:
These raw values are not appropriate for comparing camera models because they are not adjusted for gain or area."

So yes, you are wrong.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
View attachment 206850I really would not like enter into such a discussion, but I think that the following graph it more appropriate, if we are speaking about noise. But, maybe I'm wrong....
In addition to Alan's correct comment, the read noise chart is measuring noise at the level of the individual pixels, the units are proportional to electrons. It is true that larger pixels have lower noise at the level of the individual pixel, that is not and has never been in question. But that is only relevant at the pixel level, something engineers care about but is not very relevant to photography. What is relevant to the photography is the noise in an image, not the noise in one pixel. The point is that for a sensor size or a given area of an image sensor, if the technology generation is similar the noise will be similar (the qualification is important because comparing noise from an original 5D and a modern sensor, for example, isn't valid).

Upvote 0