The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Legit ordered a new body for fun right before this post. The R7 for it's 15 mechanical flappy bit per second to keep my mind off the R5. This sounds like an ideal upgrade to the tripod megapixel 5dsR dinosaurs I have. Sounds too good to be true..my intention was was the R7 for sports & then later the FF mirrorless upgrade. Thought it would of been the R5s or R1. 60mp is more than enough if it's like the R3's contrast characteristics and sticky autofocus

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oh man, I just had the R5 with a tasty Black Friday deal in the Canon store cart just now. Maybe I'll just stick with the R6 a little longer.... hmm
its not like you will get the R5II ANY time soon. If its not even announced until sometime in 2023 you won't get this thing in your hands until 2024 due to stock issues. The R6II was put on the stock issue list before it was ever officially released.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
During the Canon EOS R6 Mark II rumor cycle, we did get a fair bit of Canon EOS R5 Mark II talk in our inboxes. This is a fairly commong occurence during product launch cycles and we dismiss most of it. This time, we’re not quite as quick to dismiss the information sent to us

See full article...

*This is just me*, but...

I'm happy with 45MP and don't want or need larger file sizes or more MP *unless* the camera also has an option to produce uncropped, uncompressed pseudo-RAW images.

I don't want or need 30fps. More important to me is having slow/medium/fast burst options with electronic shutter, and ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter.

Pixel-shift isn't much use to me unless the whole sequence can be carried out quickly enough to permit hand-held shots and shots with a small degree of subject movement.

Video doesn't interest me, I wish they'd just produce an additional video-orientated model, and put a tilting-flippy screen (Panasonic-style) on the stills-orientated version.

9.44 EVF is very welcome as more resolution makes it easier to visually judge sharpness and depth of field. I don't care if the res drops during bursts. I sure as hell hope they've reduced the EVF lag.

Not sure about dual CFE. I currently have 4 CFE cards and shoot backups to the second (SD) card on my R5. With 2 CFE slots it would mean I'd need another 4 CFE cards, and they ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Finally a camera with two fast memory cards. I never understood the appeal of SD cards. The argument is that you can get SD cards everywhere, but I think people, who pay that much money on a camera, will have enough memory cards anyway.

Did pixel shift really work well for any camera unless you use attach a concrete block to your camera to reduce the vibration?

BSI sensor would be a huge improvement. For still subjects that is even more important than a stacked sensor.

Will 1080p recording also be oversampled?

Some of those specs seem like wishes instead of rumors. Will Canon really give us a full size HDMI port that does not break after a few hundred plugs and unplugs? That will cost a lot of jobs in Canon repair facilities.

CFe has surpassed SD in terms of capacity and price and its quite sensible at this point to get rid of SD slot on this camera. This also raises questions about castrations on R6 II(no CFe slot, non BSI sensor and micro Hdmi port) and R7.

Upvote 0
Wont be too surprised about that date for R5 II, given its new 61MP sensor this would kill high MP S model hopes.
I have often thought that combining a R5s with an R5 Mark 2 would made a lot of sense. I do hope the mark 2 electronic shutter does use 14-bit color resolution rather than reduce it to 12-bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Only other thing I’d be looking for (which I hope is a given, given the latest from R7 and R6 II) is no 30m record limit and I think it’ll be the perfect camera!

Interesting about dual CFExpress - for my R5 I bought a CFExpress card but no reader, so I essentially use my SD slot as my ‘main card’ which comes out of the camera and into my card reader for file transfer, and have never taken the CFExpress out of the camera. Guess I’ll need to buy a CFExpress reader if I’m to upgrade!
The R5 II will shoot so fast, you will never need more than 30m to do the job ;-)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Dual CFe I believe. Its there on performance & price, and SD is dying.

As to resolution and dual DIGICs, I think this will put the R5mkII in the same class as, maybe even higher than, the R1. Furthermore, dual DIGICs means higher price, possibly supply problems, larger PCB, more heat, etc which don't make sense to me for this class of camera.

Regarding digital zoom, sounds reasonable. Most time I could do with 15MP, so why not digitally crop and get faster fps with lower energy consumption?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Or charging + monitor/hdd?!

9MP EVF sounds good. The same Sony has for years now.

Would be nice to have a blackout free shutter and no rolling shutter at all!
9 million dots is 3MP, they count the RGB subpixels, not the real pixels like you would on any other display. So it’s an 2100x1400-ish screen.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It's wild to see the exact same comments about this rumor when compared to the original EOS R5 rumor.
A very good point. Do not get me wrong I would be thrilled to see these specs in a R5 camera or even an R1 camera. I am curious on how Canon will fit two Digic X processors in a body the size of an R5. Maybe their patents on active cooling will play a part? I think the next two years will be quite interesting in terms of both RF lenses and RF bodies.

Ideally, for me would be a camera similar to the R3, but with a high-res mode that also shoots pixel binning lower R modes for low-light situations.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have never once wished the EVF was higher resolution.
I do get that it would be helpful for some applications.
I`m currently using an EOS R, but disliking its EVF.
So, I started checking "better" EVFs, like the R5's or Leica's SL2 EVFs. Wasn't fully convinced since they still looked artificial, compared to an OVF. But lots better than the R's.
That's why I'm convinced that the R 5II EVF will even be better, hoping that higher resolution could stand for more color nuances. The R 5II, provided the specs are no fantasy, is already on my "buy as soon as possible" list.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
*This is just me*, but...

I'm happy with 45MP and don't want or need larger file sizes or more MP *unless* the camera also has an option to produce uncropped, uncompressed pseudo-RAW images.

I don't want or need 30fps. More important to me is having slow/medium/fast burst options with electronic shutter, and ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter.

Pixel-shift isn't much use to me unless the whole sequence can be carried out quickly enough to permit hand-held shots and shots with a small degree of subject movement.

Video doesn't interest me, I wish they'd just produce an additional video-orientated model, and put a tilting-flippy screen (Panasonic-style) on the stills-orientated version.

9.44 EVF is very welcome as more resolution makes it easier to visually judge sharpness and depth of field. I don't care if the res drops during bursts. I sure as hell hope they've reduced the EVF lag.

Not sure about dual CFE. I currently have 4 CFE cards and shoot backups to the second (SD) card on my R5. With 2 CFE slots it would mean I'd need another 4 CFE cards, and they ain't cheap.
I could have written the same post !:)

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Funny that no one else has mentioned this - I find it quite interesting that the rumour (with an 'o' ;)) talks about a 61MP sensor.

Seems like a strange coincidence that the Sony a7Rv has a 61MP sensor, and 61 is not a size that we were expecting from Canon.

Could it be that Canon has decided to use a Sony sensor for this model, or did the person who originated the rumour have a Sony sensor on his wish-list?

Upvote 0
No wayyyy lol, just got the r5. Realistically it’s enough camera for me and anything lacking can be added in firmware. My r5c handles all of those video specs so I wouldn’t be looking for the next r5 to have those video features or bump up to 61. 45mp as it stands is good enough to have for detail and low light performance. The area of diminishing returns is right around the 42-50mp mark.. a bump to 50 would be nice but not necessarily a requirement.

Upvote 0