The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

Aug 9, 2016
Firstly 9mil elf vs the 5.7mil is a useless upgrade, I had a A1 owner try out my evf on my R5 and he stated my seemed even better and smoother. Your eye won't even be able to tell beyond the 5mil evf.

Secondly 61mp is a bad idea, 45 is plenty and if they go to 61 then low light high iso will suffer. Id much rather have high iso and low light capabilities then any more MP. the photocells are small enough

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I understand the cropped image upscaled to fill the viewfinder. Upscale the jpg written to the memory card? Pointless. Even if its as good as post processing on a PC, why waste battery?
I'm sure it won't be as good as post-processing on a Mac but I can see where it could be a useful procedure from one extreme for those who don't do post processing at home and on the other hand for practical purposes when you are using the camera and lens as a spotting scope in the field to identify very distant birds etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Firstly 9mil elf vs the 5.7mil is a useless upgrade, I had a A1 owner try out my evf on my R5 and he stated my seemed even better and smoother. Your eye won't even be able to tell beyond the 5mil evf.

Secondly 61mp is a bad idea, 45 is plenty and if they go to 61 then low light high iso will suffer. Id much rather have high iso and low light capabilities then any more MP. the photocells are small enough
I very much doubt if it will make any difference to low light high iso when the 45 and 61Mpx images are viewed at the same size in inches or mm - the R5 and R6 are the same, for example.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I very much doubt if it will make any difference to low light high iso when the 45 and 61Mpx images are viewed at the same size in inches or mm - the R5 and R6 are the same, for example.
Why can’t you just let people keep believing their fantasies? ;)

On a completely unrelated note, thanks to the excellent information posted here I’m selling my 600/4 because a 400mm lens on a crop body gives more reach.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Wow! well...
OK I have mixed feelings. I'll try to summarize:
  1. 61mp sounds like a suspicious number. Too similar to Sony's R offerings. So I'd have expected more, but certainly different from 61. Although, obviously, different companies have created multiple 24mp sensors, so there's that... but:
    1. I think, personally, 61 is a neither there nor here number as it is not that higher than 45 (esp in terms of resolution) and too similar to competitors' offerings
  2. with 61mp you'd get around 24mp in APS-C crop, so that'd be interesting
  3. I'd personally prefer a slower camera with higher resolution. I can't get enough mp's :) but also, please, allow to choose intermediate frame rates with the electronic shutter. Please!
  4. Better EVF and AF are always welcome
  5. 2 CF Express cards. Yay!
  6. High res multishot: Yay! If implemented well...
  7. Video improvements: always welcome, although I do not do much video myself.
  8. I assume this is the same as the R5s, or that this would push the R5s further down the line...

All in all, should these specs prove to be correct, it would be a difficult decision for me. I still like my R5 a lot. And 61 mp is not a huge jump from 45mp.
Will have to wait and see...

Personally, the bl**dy 35mm f/1.2 would be a much higher priority. For me, myself and I ;-)

In the end, I am not too confident this rumor will be correct. But I've just been proven wrong with the sensor of the R6 mkII, so who am I to say?

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Maybe. Who cares, apart from brand warriors? I think we're incredibly lucky to have so many top class manufacturers like Sony, Nikon, Canon and Panasonic, all producing superb cameras and lenses.
I think we should all care, competition is great news for us as it means we get to win.
Without any competition, we wouldn't have all the top class products from all these brands trying to out compete each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
  1. with 61mp you'd get around 24mp in APS-C crop, so that'd be interesting.
If that's true, it would explain the 61MP number, as Canon could simply upscale the 24MP crop sensor, saving costs.

I really think it's time that manufacturers settled on sensible figures, rather than trying to beat each other in the numbers game. The point will presumably soon be reached where sensors have such high pixel density and small receptors, that diffraction becomes a major problem anyway. I'd much rather that manufacturers concentrated on improving dynamic range and boosting high ISO performance - and most photographers I speak to feel the same way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If that's true, it would explain the 61MP number, as Canon could simply upscale the 24MP crop sensor, saving costs.

I really think it's time that manufacturers settled on sensible figures, rather than trying to beat each other in the numbers game. The point will presumably soon be reached where sensors have such high pixel density and small receptors, that diffraction becomes a major problem anyway. I'd much rather that manufacturers concentrated on improving dynamic range and boosting high ISO performance - and most photographers I speak to feel the same way.
This was speculated to be a BSI sensor, so it could not be a simple upscale of the 24 Mpx crop. Dynamic range is measured by viewing at a fixed size and distance and is pretty well independent of sensor resolution - see for example the DRs of the R5 and R6 https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS R5,Canon EOS R6 in which if anything the 45 Mpx R5 is slightly better than the R6.

per pixel DR and noise is better for larger pixels. But, overall DR and iso performance depend mainly on overall sensor size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I hope not. That is old-ish tech and I'd hope for a more modern sensor
As Alan eloquently put it, DR and high ISO depend more on sensor size than pixel size.
Diffraction is a true issue but it is also use case dependent: I typically shoot wide open when I can so the more the pixels the happier I am. The 50 and 85 1.2 primes can handle a lot

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
But is Canon likely to add what is lacking with firmware upgrades?
There was a German article about the R5 on their website stating that „You can be confident that Canon will update their cameras with the latest features using firmware.“ I guess that’s either over now or they are taking more time to make 2.0. I am still hoping for the latter, but I guess now is the best time than ever to make the effort of bringing ML to the R5.

Upvote 0
Why 2 USB-C ports...?

The high-res-shot function I want for my R5 too...
I guess like in the R5C you can use one USB-C as Power delivery from a power bank to extend battery life and enable swap Battery (what would be nice). Hope there is no need for that to get 8K-RAW 60 like in the R5C. The second USB-C could be for recording to a external SSD (much cheaper than a 4TB CF-EXPRESS. Also on a gimbal I would love 2 USB-C connections one for the Gimbal controlling and the second for battery or a added SSD. Also it could enable USB-C micro and headphones, or a easy tablet monitoring and recording instead of a atomos ninja V+, so I hope Canon will enable as much as possible of the possibilities for USB-C in both connections.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Finally a camera with two fast memory cards. I never understood the appeal of SD cards. The argument is that you can get SD cards everywhere, but I think people, who pay that much money on a camera, will have enough memory cards anyway.

Did pixel shift really work well for any camera unless you use attach a concrete block to your camera to reduce the vibration?

BSI sensor would be a huge improvement. For still subjects that is even more important than a stacked sensor.

Will 1080p recording also be oversampled?

Some of those specs seem like wishes instead of rumors. Will Canon really give us a full size HDMI port that does not break after a few hundred plugs and unplugs? That will cost a lot of jobs in Canon repair facilities.
Anecdotally, I've been on several shoots/ vacations where either a card was corrupted or lost and being able to pop into almost any local store and find a 32 or 64gb SD card for $20 or less is amazing. I've got so many cards now that I just keep some in my car, camera bag, laptop bag, etc... Just so I always have one or two laying around.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Or charging + monitor/hdd?!

9MP EVF sounds good. The same Sony has for years now.

Would be nice to have a blackout free shutter and no rolling shutter at all!
Why would they want to allow charging when they can charge for a brick to do it like they do currently(one C connector)

Upvote 0