The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Finally a camera with two fast memory cards. I never understood the appeal of SD cards. The argument is that you can get SD cards everywhere, but I think people, who pay that much money on a camera, will have enough memory cards anyway.

Did pixel shift really work well for any camera unless you use attach a concrete block to your camera to reduce the vibration?

BSI sensor would be a huge improvement. For still subjects that is even more important than a stacked sensor.

Will 1080p recording also be oversampled?

Some of those specs seem like wishes instead of rumors. Will Canon really give us a full size HDMI port that does not break after a few hundred plugs and unplugs? That will cost a lot of jobs in Canon repair facilities.
I certainly understand your reasoning, most photographers need fast cards.
Yet, I don't, landscapes or macros do not require fast memory cards. Am I the one Canon should refer to? No, definitely No!
Why not use cards that won't disappoint anybody, apart from higher cost ?
No one will suffer the slightest disadvantage from having 2 CF express cards and, as you wrote, if you can afford such an expensive camera...
I remember some of our US customers who put regular into their Mercedes AMG tanks, just to save a few dollars. Ridiculous and harmful to the engines...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yet, I don't, landscapes or macros do not require fast memory cards. Am I the one Canon should refer to? No, definitely No!
Why not use cards that won't disappoint anybody, apart from higher cost ?
No one will suffer the slightest disadvantage from having 2 CF express cards and, as you wrote, if you can afford such an expensive camera...
I remember some of our US customers who put regular into their Mercedes AMG tanks, just to save a few dollars. Ridiculous and harmful to the engines...
Ah, but but wait until are you taking photos and videos of rapidly moving skyscrapers! How often do you use the second slot? There will be many who do. I don't except to use the 2nd slot as an emergency back up of the first. All those cheap SD cards I have accumulated over the years can provide back up storage while travelling by copying from the 1st slot.
I remember some who would put higher octane fuel than manufacturers recommended in the vain hope they would get better performance...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Firstly 9mil elf vs the 5.7mil is a useless upgrade, I had a A1 owner try out my evf on my R5 and he stated my seemed even better and smoother. Your eye won't even be able to tell beyond the 5mil evf.

Secondly 61mp is a bad idea, 45 is plenty and if they go to 61 then low light high iso will suffer. Id much rather have high iso and low light capabilities then any more MP. the photocells are small enough
Why should high ISO suffer? Canon has several times upped both high ISO and low light capabilities. The 5DSR being an excellent example.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Is the digital teleconverter basically crop mode but at other ratios other than 1.6x?

2x mode is 61mp ÷ 2 = 31.5?
4x mode is 61mp ÷ 4 = 15.25?
8x mode is 61mp ÷8 = 7.625?
Unfortunately that's not how the math works, if you multiple by 2 your reach then you have to subtract that from both the y and x axis, so 2x would be as follwos

2x mode is 61mp ÷ 2 ÷ 2 = 15.25mp and so on.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Why should high ISO suffer? Canon has several times upped both high ISO and low light capabilities. The 5DSR being an excellent example.
Because of simple physics, th R3 at 24mp has larger photocells, meaning they can be spaced apart further in the same area and can be pushed to higher iso sensitive before they run into an neighbouring photocell on the sensor. Larger photocells gather more light as well, Yes tech is getting better but if you improve tech for a higher mp sensor then you're obviously doing the same for lower mp sensor as a result so that's a irrelevant convo.

If you look at the current and new A7R camera that is 60+ mp its native iso range is LOWER then a lower MP camera, that's not by accident.

I would much prefer a balance, 45mp is plenty and it WILL have better iso performance then a sensor crammed with 61mp. The R5 is suppose to be an all around camera, if it goes to 61mp it now basically becomes a portrait or landscape camera which you won't push the iso anyway. I use my R5 for wildlife and fast moving subjects in low light sometimes so Id prefer the no more than 45mp

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Because of simple physics, th R3 at 24mp has larger photocells, meaning they can be spaced apart further in the same area and can be pushed to higher iso sensitive before they run into an neighbouring photocell on the sensor. Larger photocells gather more light as well, Yes tech is getting better but if you improve tech for a higher mp sensor then you're obviously doing the same for lower mp sensor as a result so that's a irrelevant convo.
You call the physics simple, but clearly you don’t understand the physics involved in determining sensor noise. The irrelevant convo here is yours.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

If you look at the current and new A7R camera that is 60+ mp its native iso range is LOWER then a lower MP camera, that's not by accident.

I would much prefer a balance, 45mp is plenty and it WILL have better iso performance then a sensor crammed with 61mp. The R5 is suppose to be an all around camera, if it goes to 61mp it now basically becomes a portrait or landscape camera which you won't push the iso anyway. I use my R5 for wildlife and fast moving subjects in low light sometimes so Id prefer the no more than 45mp
That is sheer nonsense: photocells, whatever their size, are designed to being as close together on the sensor so there are minimal gaps between them otherwise light is lost. Spacing cells further apart in the same area would lower light gathering power, make poorer iso response and lower DR.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Come on Canon. At least give us R5 users who are just too poor to afford the new Canon lifestyle and are unable to upgrade every two years some more firmware updates...
What exactly do you want them to update? Stacked sensor via firmware? Dual CFExpress via firmware? There are a finite amount of things firmware can actually do when using the same hardware.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hope Canon adds dng raw format , Just like the brilliant canon 5d mark iii , where the colors look very much better than the c-log raw
Which RAW converter are you using? If it's something else than DPP4, you need to address that complaint to the people that wrote your RAW converter.

Also, isn't c-log a video only thing?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Which RAW converter are you using? If it's something else than DPP4, you need to address that complaint to the people that wrote your RAW converter.

Also, isn't c-log a video only thing?
He’s talking about RAW DNG video.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What exactly do you want them to update? Stacked sensor via firmware? Dual CFExpress via firmware? There are a finite amount of things firmware can actually do when using the same hardware.
I would like aspects of the R7/R3 menus, most of all the ability to set ES fps, which is not much of an ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My R3 shoots 30 fps and I write RAW simultaneously to both the CFe and SD cards. I haven’t had the SD card slow me down yet.

SD cards are far more convenient
True. I have a CFe reader, but the Stone Pro dock on my desk (connected to the 5K:2K display I use for editing) and my 16” M1 MacBook Pro have built-in SD card slots.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Anecdotally, I've been on several shoots/ vacations where either a card was corrupted or lost and being able to pop into almost any local store and find a 32 or 64gb SD card for $20 or less is amazing. I've got so many cards now that I just keep some in my car, camera bag, laptop bag, etc... Just so I always have one or two laying around.
I'm glad that my R5 has both CFE and SD slots, and I'd be wary of getting a camera with only CFE.

I spend a lot of time on expensive trips to remote tropical locations (safaris. rainforests, deserts). I have 4 x 128GB CFE cards and shoot RAWs to the CFE and simultaneously send backups to the SD. They are flimsy and easily lost, but I can pop into a general store almost anywhere in the world and buy replacement SD if one of the half dozen that I take with me gets corrupted or lost. If a CFE gets corrupted, I can always shoot on SD only, if I have to.

I've had 2 SanDisk 64GB SD cards corrupt in the last couple of years. Fortunately, so far, none of my 4 CFE-B card have corrupted, but if one did while I was far from the nearest city, it would be near impossible to find anywhere where I could quickly get a replacement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0