The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
++++ The EOS R IMO was a placeholder that Canon can't replace fast enough so nothing to protect...

Correct, however R5 is there to replace R, and R6 - to replace RP.

That's where I disagree...20MP sensor, 4K60FPS, dual card slots, possibly reused 1DX sensor..no way is this entry level...I think the RP will be replaced by a new body below the R6. IMO an RP replacement would be (26+ MP, single card slot, 4K30FPS).

Canon doesn't need a "video focused" body if they have two cameras in their lineup (R5 and R6) that blow away the competition in the video department; oh and happen to take fantastic stills as well. But its going to be a completely different story if the R6 is heavily crippled.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The EOS R IMO was a placeholder that Canon can't replace fast enough so nothing to protect.

We already know this will be limited compared to the 1DXIII (no RAW in camera, no 5.5K, lower photography performance, no top display, less weather sealing, etc.) but none of those limitations would affect Clog, DR, or codec selection. I also don't see Canon offering IPB only; once again...Canon is playing catchup, and they have new sensors, new tech, and a new hunger to come out on top. Going all in will hopefully be the new Canon norm.

The best part is...none of the features I want will cut into their R5 (higher resolution, top EVF, better weather sealing, better video specs), the 1DX, or the RP/entry level replacement, let alone the cinema line.

It does until you think about the fact that Panasonic already has all of these features as does Sony and none of these features eat into R5 specs.
The EOS R is the predecessor of the EOS R5 while the EOS RP is the predecessor of the EOS R6 but the new models are placed higher so no models will be replaced at all, they all have their uses.
You either get the EOS R or the R5 to have C-Log or you get the R6 with IBIS dual card slots, better ISO and advanced frame rates but less megapixels and no C-Log.

Again people are completely wrong about the sensor, the most likely scenario that it is a cheaper sensor with less DR and slower readout but with good ISO performance. This is still the cheapest Canon camera to offer many features, and people just keep complaining not to have everything and running the same circles over and over again, thinking that Canon releases a cheap camera with higher-end features.

Neither Panasonic nor Sony have the Canon ecosystem with DPAF integration or a FF camera with a swivel screen etc. each camera has its advantages and not 'owning' another.

Canon did perfectly fine with "abandoning" video in DSLRs, so they really don't have to offer an unlimited cheap model to cut their profits and cannibalise their own models, they are just slowly giving more and more lower down the product line.

Even without IBIS, people still bought Canon cameras for video, if that works well on the R6 (probably much better than the Sony while Nikon and Panasonic don't have a lot of lenses with dual IS capability), the rest can be considered as a 'bonus'.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Technically 12MP would have been even better.
We'll see. I bet if you compare an R6 image and a R5 image downscaled to the same resolution, you won't notice the difference.

If you think otherwise, feel free to provide us with a comparison that shows how a lower resolution sensor outperforms a higher resolution one from the same generation when compared at the same magnification.

Edit: To avoid confusion, here is what I'm talking about:

The differences between these sensors are pretty marginal, despite wildy different resolutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The dynamic range will be limited starting right from the (cheaper) sensor, so it won't have C-Log because there is no point in it and IPB codec only.

Apart from being able to shoot at similar frame rates as the 1DX III, this camera will be much more limited in comparison (considering it costs almost three times less with IBIS, this is hardly surprising) and the EOS R can remain as the cheapest camera to offer C-Log as well.

It is still going to have way more, than what they've used to offer in a 6D level camera and its pricing after a few months will be aggressive compared to what we've seen from Canon.

People have two more months to dream until the announcement, enjoy it while it lasts ;)
How do you know what the pricing will be?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How do you know what the pricing will be?
We don't, but we know it is a cut price model with a cheaper EVF and LCD screen and no top display (this also saves power, so the battery life will be great), it is called the R6 for a reason

The 6D and 6D Mark II cost 1900$ and 2000$ upon their release so this could be in the same ballpark as well (maybe a little higher, since it is still blowing them away with all the features - except the dynamic range).

Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
I hope it has a joystick. I would love this purely for wedding receptions and low light. I am loving the R with a 28-70 f2 for receptions but i am so used to the 5DIV and I like to choose my focus point. The drag on the rear screen is good but not as fast as a joystick. I am excited about the R5 having one. It's not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
20MP still doesn't make sense in a new 6D body, in 2020 :unsure:

I know many people on this forum disagree with me, but unless Canon is actually redefining what a 6D even means (entirely possible), this is not a 6D.

It's just not specced like one. Aside from the sensor being so low-rez, no 6D has ever had 2 card slots, yet this does. No 6D has ever matched the shooting speed of the corresponding 5D body available at the time of its release (6D - 4.5 fps, 5Diii - 6.0 fps / 6Dii - 6.0 fps, 5Div - 7.0 fps), and yet this camera does ("R6" - 12 fps mechanical, 20 electronic, R5 - 12 fps mechanical, 20 fps electronic).

I refuse to believe that this is really a 6D successor until we get the specs (not to mention the name of the body!) confirmed by Canon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

I know many people on this forum disagree with me, but unless Canon is actually redefining what a 6D even means (entirely possible), this is not a 6D.

It's just not specced like one. Aside from the sensor being so low-rez, no 6D has ever had 2 card slots, yet this does. No 6D has ever matched the shooting speed of the corresponding 5D body available at the time of its release (6D - 4.5 fps, 5Diii - 6.0 fps / 6Dii - 6.0 fps, 5Div - 7.0 fps), and yet this camera does ("R6" - 12 fps mechanical, 20 electronic, R5 - 12 fps mechanical, 20 fps electronic).

I refuse to believe that this is really a 6D successor until we get the specs (not to mention the name of the body!) confirmed by Canon.
Literally everything leaked about the R5 were correct (8K RAW 30fps video was so surprising, that initially CR thought maybe it is a timelapse mode or something, but even that was spot on)
So it is likely that the same source provided the correct R6 specs (name) as well. Maybe it does not track at the full 12fps frame rate or it simply not able to track as well as the R5 with a simpler processor.

The 6D Mark II was used for vlogging by some, but this could be the best vlogging camera ever, while also being great as a wedding, travel camera etc. it has many different uses, just like an A7III (or A7IV, which will likely to stay at 24MP as well).

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

I agree. An updated R with joystick and IBIS would be perfect for a lot of people - I love the 32mp for landscapes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Gotta let go of the old 6D canons. This is a new Canon!

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I hope it has a joystick. I would love this purely for wedding receptions and low light. I am loving the R with a 28-70 f2 for receptions but i am so used to the 5DIV and I like to choose my focus point. The drag on the rear screen is good but not as fast as a joystick. I am excited about the R5 having one. It's not a deal breaker, but would be nice.
They did put a joystick on the 90D, which they haven't done before, but it was a bigger body with plenty of space.

Without the top LCD and cheaper build quality I can see this camera evolving from the RP (but with big battery and dual card slots squeezed in), but with the mode dial plus separate back dial on the back instead of the mode button and wheel on the R and R5, I am not sure there is enough space for a joystick.

They have moved the cutout to open the swiwel screen on the R5 to the lower right corner, so maybe there is actually space if they do the same with the R6, but maybe with the smaller EVF, screen, mode dial, they have decided to keep it smaller instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I wonder why so many are so certain that the 6R will replace the RP. A 2 card body with the listed speed is not likely to be an entry level camera. I think the RP, in one form or another, will remain. Assuming Canon is not going to release an R mount crop camera, they need a cheap R for the huddled masses...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I wonder why so many are so certain that the 6R will replace the RP. A 2 card body with the listed speed is not likely to be an entry level camera. I think the RP, in one form or another, will remain. Assuming Canon is not going to release an R mount crop camera, they need a cheap R for the huddled masses...
People need to think of it this way, the A7III with dual card slots is an evolution of the A7II but that is now under 1000$ and the other is under 2000$ and they are both available for the moment.
No R model is going to be directly replaced for about 4 years, but the family of R cameras has been expanded by evolution. (if someone is fine without IBIS they can go back to the older models but it is likely, that all future models will have it from now on)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
As it sits right now, if the R5 is too expensive--I'll just get an RP. Yes, it's missing a lot but it's dirt cheap, and no touchbar.

I have the 5DIV, and I am not ready to pull thr trigger on a mirrorless yet, but if I did, I would gladly put up with the touch bar to get the Canon R sensor.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yes. Nope is correct.
Stills is one thing, video is another, it if shoots full sensor 4K in some form, it will get a big low-light boost compared to any Canon before the 1DX III, so in some ways it can be considered as an A7SII/A7III rival for video, but I think a major limitation of some sorts will be coming, if it is aimed at the 2000$ mark with great IBIS and battery life.

Of course the R5 sensor could be the exception, being the only one above 24MP that can read out the sensor part of sensor during video recording.
Which means that we will see more higher-resolution sensors with less image penalties for video, but they will cost way more (and may produce a fair amount of heat, etc.)

Upvote 0