Dec 25, 2017
The wish list
-Unlimited video recording
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI
I think most of these things can be "added" with an external monitor. I personaly think they will not include any of these features in the camera. the limited video recording is a tax-problem though, not a technical one.

The ways they could cripple it
-Record video to only a single card at a time
-Video recording limit
-Severe crop in 4k
-No DPAF in higher frame rates
-No audio at 60FPS
I am sure they will find some other additional ways to cripple it :-D Its amazing how creative Canon gets when it comes to that :-D I guess they will offer some severe rolling shutter in 4k as well :D

Upvote 0
This is not really a low end model. Not like the RP. This is going to be more like the S1, A7IV, Z6, etc - the do everything well all-rounder.

The R5 is obviously the high end (outside of 1DX series) and this will be the more mass model for those who don’t need 8k and 45 megapixels.

I think the $2499 -$2999 price range is likely. Just hoping for 10-bit 422 in 4k in full frame c log.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I see people angry about the 20 megapixels... Do you know it is probably a repurposed 1DX mark II or III sensor? I mean a flagship sensor in a sub 3000$ body would be fantastic.
Knowing Canon, they will tell that this is an "all new" sensor like they did with EOS R and RP, but i'm pretty sure that they would be crazy to develop another sensor just for the R6 after they already developed the 45 mp monster in the R5 and the 32,5 mp in the M6 mark II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I see people angry about the 20 megapixels... Do you know it is probably a repurposed 1DX mark II or III sensor? I mean a flagship sensor in a sub 3000$ body would be fantastic.
Knowing Canon, they will tell that this is an "all new" sensor like they did with EOS R and RP, but i'm pretty sure that they would be crazy to develop another sensor just for the R6 after they already developed the 45 mp monster in the R5 and the 32,5 mp in the M6 mark II.

Having 20mp is not a problem at all, but i guess for people who buy cameras only because spec sheets and not the real usability of the camera, then yes, that could be a major problem! My 1dxmkII has a fabulous 20mp sensor. In last 4 years gave me a huge amount of great shots and I absolutely love this camera. And yeap..."only" have 20mp. Of course that if you have a higher resolution camera that could help a bit in image quality or the possibility to crop...but if you want that you have another possibilities like the R5 or even the EOS R. I believe the EOS R6 would fit the needs of the "all around" photographer or Vlogger, or even content creator. A smaller body but with great skills. Personaly I think it would be a great camera for those who don´t need the whole pack of the EOS R5,. It will be great for video and great for all around photographers. And if you do care about MP and no so much about video, I do believe Canon will release a new R body aimed to MP and to Stills. Just have to wait a bit longer.
For me....I am incredibly anxious to get the R5, definitely that camera is my "dream camera". I am now ready to let go my beloved 1dx mkII.....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Where have you seen that it dual SD? I personally wouldn't expect them to be the same format.
You're right... may be in some time I though that they would chose to use double SD instead of CFexpress+SD due to his lack of video features (like raw video) also to keep distances from R5 (may be will have a shorter buffer than this one). But I'm just guessing :)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
True but right away you are taking away the possibility of using any of Canon's most modern lenses. Some won't care but it is worth considering when making a camera purchase decision.
EF lenses, especially anything made in the past 5-8 years is going to be top notch quality for time and all eternity. If RF wasn't ever released, no one would be in want of a large new line of lenses from Canon, we'd be right back to talking up how certain glass is almost flawless and how they need to put it this one or two lens. etc etc. All I hear is GAS and new toy syndrome in your post.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
EF lenses, especially anything made in the past 5-8 years is going to be top notch quality for time and all eternity. If RF wasn't ever released, no one would be in want of a large new line of lenses from Canon, we'd be right back to talking up how certain glass is almost flawless and how they need to put it this one or two lens. etc etc. All I hear is GAS and new toy syndrome in your post.
Unless you want a great 50mm lens.. then the EF range doesn't really satisfy IMO

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You are referring to photography comparisons not video. The A7S and GH5S both went with lower resolutions to improve low light video performance.
Says who?

The Cinema series has 8.8MP sensors and 15 stops of DR, so yes, smaller sensors with larger photosites for better low light performance is not just a myth; actual camera manufacturers prove it each time they release a video oriented body; they all get smaller resolution sensors.
How about they do it for other, more plausible reasons, like lower sensor bandwidth required to get the same 4K image?

Two sensors with the same physical size with all else being equal and the lower resolution sensor will outperform the higher resolution sensor in low light scenarios.
Follows from what?

Want even more proof? The C500 Mark II is Canon's full frame Cinema camera and retails for $16K...guess what the sensor resolution is: you guessed it 20MP.
Why would it need higher resolution? What for?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I guess you are then saying that to anyone who has bought an RF lens or camera?

Maybe we should all abandon the thought of ever updating our cameras since I'm sure we all have excellent photos with our old gear. Then there is no point in following this thread.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If R6 and R5 were same price I'm guessing almost everyone would take the R5, 20MP does not cut it these days especially when you need to crop in a fair bit
Doesn’t cut it for whom exactly? Professionals providing tens of thousands of images daily using 1 series cameras seem to manage with 20 mp even on the newest iteration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
I'm not so much angry, just a little dissapointed. I'm still an owner of the original 6D and was looking for a meaningful upgrade. I'd like IBIS, a moderate megapixel upgrade, a significant dynamic range upgrade and a significant video upgrade, all of which are reasonable expectations when upgrading from a 2012 to a 2020 camera.

As upgrade options we have had the following:

6D MKII - Good resolution bump but a dynamic range and video downgrade/no progress. Also no IBIS.
EOS RP - Mirrorless version of the 6D MKII so all the same issues.
EOS R - Good resolution upgrade, fair dynamic range upgrade but frustratingly sub-par video features. Also no IBIS.

I want a meaningful upgrade to my 6D and Canon so far are not interested in offering it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0