-Unlimited video recording
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI

My Estimated Price
$2499.00USD
That’s a laughable wish list and not even remotely realistic. Canon are not going to put cine video features into their lower tier FF stills camera. If Canon were to offer full HDMI recording output, those features could be gained by the addition of an Atomos monitor/recorder. That seems the much more realistic scenario. What with the competition at this price level, I’d bet Canon won’t restrict the HDMI output like they did with the 6D, compared to the 5DIII that allowed clean HDMI recording output to an external recorder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No I didn't, what I said was if you feel you can't get by with a 20mp camera and believe you need a 34mp camera because "[When I get] back to computer I find that what looked good in viewfinder had too much sky or foreground etc" then it probably isn't the mp at fault here. I then went on to say of course there are many 'legitimate' reasons to crop and further it is all subjective so there is no standard of legitimacy, people can do whatever they want!

But I believe we owe more than that to our fellow forum dwellers, I believe we can all benefit from our combined knowledge and I'd rather say something unpopular that makes a difference than nod approvingly whilst telling somebody they need to spend x thousand dollars on some piece of gear when they don't. People can buy whatever they want and do whatever they want with it, but if the goal of learning about this equipment is to actually take pictures rather than own the gear as an exercise in and of itself then we should help each other towards that end.

Maybe a dumb question, but do any cameras allow you to optionally mask the EVF frame with a small black or greyed-out margin of crop? Basically put a 5% or 10% border around the edges that would let you compose the image on its own when in the field, but give you a small amount of flexibility for things like horizon correction, or whatever. (The camera would record all the data.)

Even better if it would somehow tag this 'soft' border so you could see your original composition in DPP, with maybe a greyed-out garbage area that you could restore if needed.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
When you are talking 6 stops of IBIS it means going from 1/64sec to 1 sec. Not from 1sec to 64sec. 6 stops ain't 6stops. So for landscapes it really does not come close to a tripod.
... And that's why I mentioned "reasonable intents and purposes" in my post. I assume most people would know that handheld image shake reduction means to reduce the image shake while you're holding the camera in hand for a reasonable photo. Is it reasonable for 1/64 second to become 1 second? - yes! Is it reasonable for 1 second to become 64 seconds? - no! Would any landscape photographer try to handhold every photo for 64 seconds?! Do I really have to say that? Geez!:rolleyes:

I do landscapes as my main thing. I have a tripod and use it when I have to, but if I can walk & hike around without it and take beautiful landscape pictures with 6+ stops of dual IS then it's a beautiful thing! And no, I don't try to hand hold anything for 64 seconds - I take a tripod if I want to do that. Are you really telling everyone that the only way to take every landscape picture is to take a 64 second exposure? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope this camera will replace my GH5 it has so much potential...yet so many features could be crippled behind those great numbers. I only care about the video features so from my viewpoint:

The good (so far)
-Dual Card Slots
-20MP Sensor
-4K 60FPS
-Battery compatible with 5D4
-IBIS

The wish list
-Unlimited video recording
-XLR module
-False Color
-Waveforms
-Clog2 and Clog3
-Raw output over HDMI

The ways they could cripple it
-Record video to only a single card at a time
-Video recording limit
-Severe crop in 4k
-No DPAF in higher frame rates
-No audio at 60FPS

My Estimated Price
$2499.00USD

For me this one camera will determine if I give up on Canon video and get the EVA1 A camera and S1H B camera or I go all in on the Canon family and get the C300II A Camera and R6 as a Gimbal/B Camera.

Honestly, you don't want a stills camera, you want a video recorder. I am getting more and more puzzled if anyone today still shoots stills. If you really love video so much why not buy a proper video camera? It looks like with the new R5 hype mainly trying to grab the video crowd, not really releasing any stills capabilities I should really be leaving canon and go to any company that still makes a proper stills camera, if there are any left? I shoot zero video yet I feel I'm only ever hearing more and more about "video specs" I honestly could care less! What do I need to do to find a stills camera, do any still exist?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
How do you know?
I have a feeling they may be right to save my disappointment but the marketing language during the C300iii and R5 announcement last month kept alluding to filmmakers being able to use entire EOS range (R5 to C700FF GS) as an ecosystem for film making. This may extend the range to the R6, expanding the use of EOS cameras for filmmakers.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Honestly, you don't want a stills camera, you want a video recorder. I am getting more and more puzzled if anyone today still shoots stills. If you really love video so much why not buy a proper video camera? It looks like with the new R5 hype mainly trying to grab the video crowd, not really releasing any stills capabilities I should really be leaving canon and go to any company that still makes a proper stills camera, if there are any left? I shoot zero video yet I feel I'm only ever hearing more and more about "video specs" I honestly could care less! What do I need to do to find a stills camera, do any still exist?
I'm also mainly a stills photographer. Don't worry about the video hype. Just enjoy the camera bodies that come out for the stills features you use. 20MP in the R6 will take beautiful stills with the stunning Canon lenses. 45MP in the R5 will be even better. If they do come out with a R5s with even more MP within a year then that would be even better if the wait is acceptable. :)

I want a FF system with fully articulating screen, so that rules out Sony and Nikon. I'm not fond of Panasonic's DFD focusing/limited affordable native lenses/large size. That leaves Canon for me. But you may be different. If so, check out all the others, including Fuji's smaller & larger sensor systems. Maybe you'd find something more to your liking.:unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It looks like with the new R5 hype mainly trying to grab the video crowd, not really releasing any stills capabilities I should really be leaving canon and go to any company that still makes a proper stills camera
What stills feature could they possibly add to the R5? Honest question, to me it looks like the most competent general purpose stills camera by a long shot. Or did you miss that it has:

Up to 20 FPS 45 MP stills with full eye AF for humans AND Animals such as Birds, combined lens and body image stabilization and dual card slots? On top of improved ergonomics over the R and a flip screen. What's missing for you?

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
It would seem people want professional cine quality and features but only want to pay $2000, all wrapped up in an unrealistically small stills camera. I guess there’s always the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera if video really is a priority.

Upvote 0
What stills feature could they possibly add to the R5? Honest question, to me it looks like the most competent general purpose stills camera by a long shot. Or did you miss that it has:

Up to 20 FPS 45 MP stills with full eye AF for humans AND Animals such as Birds, combined lens and body image stabilization and dual card slots? On top of improved ergonomics over the R and a flip screen. What's missing for you?

What did I miss? the lack of stills specs released. Firstly, we dont know the MP count, although due to "video specs" we can assume 39-45, but we dont know. Secondly, whats the cameras dynamic range? how well is its ISO performance? Whats its bit depth? Delay of startup from standby? Will the IS run continuously no matter what on your lens like it does on the EOS R. Whats the delay between shutter and photo snap? These are questions I'd care to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It would seem people want professional cine quality and features but only want to pay $2000, all wrapped up in an unrealistically small stills camera. I guess there’s always the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera if video really is a priority.

Yes agreed, I honestly feel like no one shoots stills anymore? why are the stills cameras all of a sudden video cameras that happen to shoot stills. Honestly if i really cared for video so much I would buy a proper video camera. Look at all the eos r video reviews on YT most are video reviewers.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yes agreed, I honestly feel like no one shoots stills anymore? why are the stills cameras all of a sudden video cameras that happen to shoot stills. Honestly if i really cared for video so much I would buy a proper video camera. Look at all the eos r video reviews on YT most are video reviewers.
It's not that there aren't stills people still out there - they're still there. It's just that once you've developed all the technology to create a stunning stills camera, with the ability to take a boatload of stills per second (eg. 12 fps mechanical / 20 fps electronic) for a longer and longer time, then you're approaching the rates of video by itself. Now with just a little more effort & programming you can take video of high quality and double (or more) the number of people buying your camera bodies & lenses.

Now marketing departments can say that if you use vertical marketing by cost, and segment by stills or video, you can get extra income. That makes sense. But sometimes there's not enough demand to justify segmenting by stills or video, while it still makes sense to use vertical marketing by cost. That looks like the state that Canon is in now.

So again, just decide how much of a great camera body you can afford, and take your stills, ignore the video, and be glad you can still buy such a great camera & lenses at as low of a price as possible due to the remaining stills & video people left to buy them. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It's a bit annoying, each time you want to connect to a camera via Wi-Fi, to turn it on, switch a phone to its network and start an app.

I suppose Bluetooth offers a permanent connection between the camera and a phone/computer.

Bluetooth also uses a lot less power than wifi, something vital with mirrorless cameras! I just wish useful remote control apps would make use of it instead of wifi.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Maybe a dumb question, but do any cameras allow you to optionally mask the EVF frame with a small black or greyed-out margin of crop? Basically put a 5% or 10% border around the edges that would let you compose the image on its own when in the field, but give you a small amount of flexibility for things like horizon correction, or whatever. (The camera would record all the data.)

Even better if it would somehow tag this 'soft' border so you could see your original composition in DPP, with maybe a greyed-out garbage area that you could restore if needed.
My 1 series allows me to select from several aspect ratios, including 1:1 which they curiously call 6:6, I use it for one customers social media images, in Live View it gives dark bars at the crop point and when you import the files into Lightroom or DPP it shows just the crop. However the full file is there just select the crop tool and you can see the full sensor capture. Very handy tool for deliberate aspect ratio pre-visualization.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
My 1 series allows me to select from several aspect ratios, including 1:1 which they curiously call 6:6, I use it for one customers social media images, in Live View it gives dark bars at the crop point and when you import the files into Lightroom or DPP it shows just the crop. However the full file is there just select the crop tool and you can see the full sensor capture. Very handy tool for deliberate aspect ratio pre-visualization.
5DS does this too. I’d assumed that Canon had added the feature as the very large output size allowed such cropping and still have a large output size ! But this can’t be the case if it’s in the 20 mp 1Dx because as we all know now, you can’t crop a 20 mp sensor without seriously compromising quality ! :) ;)
<sarcasm>
(You know why it’s 6:6 Private !)

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What did I miss? the lack of stills specs released. Firstly, we dont know the MP count, although due to "video specs" we can assume 39-45, but we dont know. Secondly, whats the cameras dynamic range? how well is its ISO performance? Whats its bit depth? Delay of startup from standby? Will the IS run continuously no matter what on your lens like it does on the EOS R. Whats the delay between shutter and photo snap? These are questions I'd care to know.

Geez, here we go again.

The video specs were released, because it was a video-oriented event. Those people could care less about stills capability, so Canon didn't address that then.

You'll see the stills specs soon enough.

That day can't come soon enough, IMHO because it will shut up all the ignorant people saying it's a video-oriented camera.

Though it won't shut up the people who whine about having to pay for video features they don't use, not realizing that the SAME tech is making possible the awesome stills capabilities.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Secondly, whats the cameras dynamic range? how well is its ISO performance? Whats its bit depth? Delay of startup from standby? Will the IS run continuously no matter what on your lens like it does on the EOS R. Whats the delay between shutter and photo snap? These are questions I'd care to know.
Please point out the instance where Canon released such detailed info as delay figures or dynamic range before release of a camera. Come to think of it, please point out where they gave those figures after the release.

You don't get this stuff until you have people testing out the camera. Complaining about not knowing such minute details ahead of release is nothing I can understand. Especially since there is no reason to believe you'll be disappointed on any of these aspects unless you have unrealistic expectations.

Can we have the DR and IBIS trolls back please? At least they had a point.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
It actually annoys me very much, if cameras get video focussed to a point where it compromises stills quality. For example if full rows of pixels are skipped and will be interpolated in the image just to reserve pixels for autofocus. That introduces banding for example that only goes away with the help of the firmware.

It seems video was the main reason for manufacturers to switch from DSLRs to mirrorless cameras. Of course there are occasions when I appreciate the option to take a video, but than that video blocks my camera. I can't take a photo at the same time unless I do a 4K or 8K frame grab.

The Olympics (if they ever happen again) are a good example. If you take a video of a 100 metre sprint, you loose te chance to take photos of the sprint. So I really can't use the video option very often anyway unless I carry two cameras with me.

Upvote 0
It actually annoys me very much, if cameras get video focussed to a point where it compromises stills quality. For example if full rows of pixels are skipped and will be interpolated in the image just to reserve pixels for autofocus. That introduces banding for example that only goes away with the help of the firmware.

It seems video was the main reason for manufacturers to switch from DSLRs to mirrorless cameras. Of course there are occasions when I appreciate the option to take a video, but than that video blocks my camera. I can't take a photo at the same time unless I do a 4K or 8K frame grab.

The Olympics (if they ever happen again) are a good example. If you take a video of a 100 metre sprint, you loose te chance to take photos of the sprint. So I really can't use the video option very often anyway unless I carry two cameras with me.
buy 2 :)

Upvote 0