The Canon EOS R6 has shown up for certification

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
EVF with lower resolution than the R 5.
Could mean: - like the RP, very bad choice.
- like the R, so the R 5 would get a higher resolution than the R. Great news for the R 5 !
Still hoping for an EVF as good as Panasonic or Leica SL 2, and wondering why so few posts seem to care about viewfinder definition...vital for me.
The R's major drawback (for me !) is its poor EVF's definition. If you don't believe me, compare the Pana SR1 and the R.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
EVF with lower resolution than the R 5.
Could mean: - like the RP, very bad choice.
- like the R, so the R 5 would get a higher resolution than the R. Great news for the R 5 !
Still hoping for an EVF as good as Panasonic or Leica SL 2, and wondering why so few post seem to care about viewfinder definition...vital for me.
The R's major drawback (for me !) is its poor EVF's definition. If you don't believe me, compare the Pana SR1 and the R.
Lower resolution EVF is better if it means less lag and blackout. Let autofocus do focusing

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hey, who has experience with the M5, R and RP to share some light on EVF differences, (not specs and what you read) Real Life.

I used the M50 (not M5), R and RP. The M50 and RP have the same EVF screen, but different optics in front of it. I hated the M50's optics so much I went for an M6II to get rid of that useless, infuriating lump. It's dark, tiny and viewing it off-axis distorts it like crazy.
The RPs EVF however is a joy to use, it's projected much bigger and flatter. I didn't notice much difference between the R and RP EVFs. But my usage for the week that I rented the R was limited to macro and taking pictures of my family.

With all of them I had the impression that the sensor was holding back the EVF, not the other way around. The external EVF on my M6II seems to behave better with fast movements than the R/RP, but I have had it only since last month, so not much real world usage yet.

I would like the latency to go down *a lot*. Before having a camera with an EVF I was using a 7D1, which has a pretty low shutter lag. The EVF latency compared with the worse shutter lag makes it hard to time the shots. The M6II can get around that with its 14fps or 30fps modes, but that's not a real solution.

And not really the fault of the EVF, but the blackout and slideshow during burst needs to get fixed as well. The online reviews of the 1dx3 show that seems to be fixed with that camera, hopefully *all* new Canon cameras will get those improvements.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
. The external EVF on my M6II seems to behave better with fast movements than the R/RP, but I have had it only since last month, so not much real world usage yet.
Did you use RF lenses with the R cameras, or EF?

From my experience in a store, the RP viewfinder is very much inferior to the one in the R, especially in terms of resolution and maybe refresh rate. The perceived motion blur seemed less aggressive on the R. But maybe that was a difference in settings, as far as I know you have to turn on the smooth viewfinder mode, right?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Did you use RF lenses with the R cameras, or EF?

From my experience in a store, the RP viewfinder is very much inferior to the one in the R, especially in terms of resolution and maybe refresh rate. The perceived motion blur seemed less aggressive on the R. But maybe that was a difference in settings, as far as I know you have to turn on the smooth viewfinder mode, right?

Only EF lenses most of the time, I have to rent the RF lenses. I haven't compared "High speed display" against the regular mode when I had the chance. Since it also disables anti-flicker :/

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Have you ever looked at the equipment used by many of the finalists over the years in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year competitions ?

Nothing beats being closer and spending a lot of time in the field, which wildlife finalists are willing to do, both from a skills developed and time spent perspective. The golden eagle shot in 2019 was 3 years of familiarisation and a camera trap. THREE YEARS. There was more than a smattering of rather expensive gear as well. A 5D2 is a fairly old camera, but once its in a seacam underwater housing, we're in very different territory

Most of us are mere mortals who simply want to get as good a picture as possible within our personal circumstances. Whether its better AF, more FPS, more MP, more reach, they hold their attractions. And if we're honest shiny toys might be a part of it too.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Nothing beats being closer and spending a lot of time in the field, which wildlife finalists are willing to do, both from a skills developed and time spent perspective. The golden eagle shot in 2019 was 3 years of familiarisation and a camera trap. THREE YEARS. There was more than a smattering of rather expensive gear as well. A 5D2 is a fairly old camera, but once its in a seacam underwater housing, we're in very different territory

Most of us are mere mortals who simply want to get as good a picture as possible within our personal circumstances. Whether its better AF, more FPS, more MP, more reach, they hold their attractions. And if we're honest shiny toys might be a part of it too.
My comment wasn't so much aimed at lower end equipment, but the fact that by far the most common resolution / output size used is around 20 mp !!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
My comment wasn't so much aimed at lower end equipment, but the fact that by far the most common resolution / output size used is around 20 mp !!

That wasnt my major focus either - its more that 20Mp is great when you have the other aspects discussed that let you fill the frame with the scene in question, ie skill/patience, 800mm lens (!) etc to get that close. Most of us mere mortals wont be managing that, hence cropping, the desire for more Mp and the like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That wasnt my major focus either - its more that 20Mp is great when you have the other aspects discussed that let you fill the frame with the scene in question, ie skill/patience, 800mm lens (!) etc to get that close. Most of us mere mortals wont be managing that, hence cropping, the desire for more Mp and the like.
It is pointless to complain about it, when there are many other Canon cameras, like the 5DsR, 5D Mark IV, EOS R as well as the EOS R5 (and one more coming) that do offer that capability and the main competitors of this camera all have 24 Megapixels. Which, let's admit, is practically the same, considering it will offer advanced video capabilities, which will be taken into consideration by its potential buyers.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
It is pointless to complain about it, when there are many other Canon cameras, like the 5DsR, 5D Mark IV, EOS R as well as the EOS R5 (and one more coming) that do offer that capability and the main competitors of this camera all have 24 Megapixels. Which, let's admit, is practically the same, considering it will offer advanced video capabilities, which will be taken into consideration by its potential buyers.

We all have our goldilocks preferences vs whats actually on offer. I will hopefully be getting the R5, but not everyone will have that kind of budget.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
We all have our goldilocks preferences vs whats actually on offer. I will hopefully be getting the R5, but not everyone will have that kind of budget.
The RP and R are much cheaper and offer more megapixels, so it's not like there isn't more choices available for those who want to spend less. It is always bad practice to buy products at launch, after a year they will be considerably cheaper.
I will be looking forward to the complaints, when it turns out what the limitations of this model (I don't think it is the megapixel count, I am thinking it's still the dynamic range), since at a much cheaper price, it just won't have the bells and whistles of the R5. I wish it was 'unlimited' but it's not realistic, unless they raise the price significantly, which is probably not their intention to make better sales.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If the subject is not moving, dual OIS & IBIS of (tested & verified) 6.5 stops can and will stop motion to look just like a tripod for all "reasonable intents and purposes". That reduces shake by a factor of 90 to 1! My EM1mk2 with 12-100 f4 and 300mm f4 pro lenses do exactly that. I also have a tripod, and use it when I do panoramas to get perfect repeatable position registration between pictures. But I also can take the same panoramas handheld with 6.5 stop dual IS and they still are as sharp and stitch together fine. If you have never seen real (tested & verified) 6.5 stop dual IS then you should. And a few makers have even gone beyond that now.

I'm looking forward to the R6, R5 & R5s IBIS with optical IS at the same time. It's harder to stabilize a FF sensor than a MFT sensor due to the increased mass, but if they can get it above 6 stops (verified) then it'll be spectacular.

My only comment about IS claims, is that they have to be tested & verified to be believed. I have seen some makers exaggerate them or say "up to" so many stops. If it's not verified, including on the particular lens you use, then "buyer beware". :cool:

6.5 stops is a few stops. It's still no substitute when you want/need 9-10 stops or more below conventional handheld wisdom.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Lower resolution EVF is better if it means less lag and blackout. Let autofocus do focusing
Doesn't work with MF, macro or vintage lenses. Pana SR 1 or Leica SL2 have (subjectively, couldn't measure) less lag or blackout than the EOS R...
And just wait for the EOS R5 to convince you with its high-definition EVF...

Last edited:
Upvote 0