The Canon EOS R6 will begin shipping this week

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Strip the currency symbols off the prices and not that much different from ours in the US. Which is why I think camera prices should just be quoted without currency signs. It doesn't seem to matter what currency you're using, you're going to end up paying mid 2000s for an R6 and upper 3000s for and R5.

Except I believe they are considerably more expensive in numeric terms in Europe. (And Oz is just...horrific.)
Horrific is the only way to describe it. 4400 for the R6. By the time you add an adapter and a couple of cards, nearly 5000. Screw the Aussie tax.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Wex UK or Calumet as they were once known said to me the end of August for the R6 so I’m on their pre order list in Manchester which is the place I’ve bought my camera’s from for the last 20 years.

I’m shooting in Mcr tomorrow so I’m ready to jump if they have an R6 but not a sniff of an R6 in Mcr as of yet for me ☹

Upvote 0
r6 is still better than the a7siii

From my experience with the R5, the R6 could literally be better than the A9 (marginally, aside for the $2000 price difference). The only thing that makes me think differently, is the sensor readout. Its slower than the R5 for some reason, even while sporting a lot of the same specs. I'd assume the lower line count would make it quicker than the R5, but there must be more to the calculation. While the slower readout is expected to be below that of the A9, I'm left wondering if anything else gets a similar performance drop off. Canon obviously cut corners to get the price down, but I still think it may be a match. But lets see if the specs hold up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Strip the currency symbols off the prices and not that much different from ours in the US. Which is why I think camera prices should just be quoted without currency signs. It doesn't seem to matter what currency you're using, you're going to end up paying mid 2000s for an R6 and upper 3000s for and R5.

Except I believe they are considerably more expensive in numeric terms in Europe. (And Oz is just...horrific.)

Be nice if priced with a negative sign. Free cameras + some cash for an external fan!

...I'll probably buy it anyway...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Thats interesting. The grey importer I bought my 80d backup from in the past is listing the r5 as 3999 euros and in stock.

I'd no issues with the 80d and it arrived promptly but I've been wary with a high ticket item. Would canon support it and could I register it for CPS points?? Anyone know?
A downside is you only get a 12 month warranty with them as opposed to a 2 year warranty in an EU store. I didnt mind with the cheaper camera but for 4 grand...

Someone might have hacked it, trying to get it to overheat for testing purpose. Hope that is not the case.

But does make me wonder what happens to camera used by all those YouTubers who buy these cameras and then return them. I know sometimes ambassadors probably get the same few units swapped among themselves. But what about the YTubers that don't get them that way?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Someone might have hacked it, trying to get it to overheat for testing purpose. Hope that is not the case.

But does make me wonder what happens to camera used by all those YouTubers who buy these cameras and then return them. I know sometimes ambassadors probably get the same few units swapped among themselves. But what about the YTubers that don't get them that way?

I've thought about that as well. All the YT'rs thats "reason I'm not keeping it"... when really it was probably money they didn't have and they wanted to show it off for clicks.

Upvote 0

That's not how exchange rates work! Lots of different currencies using "$" with the official Canon price in:
New Zealand = $7,799
Hong Kong = $30,880
Let alone other currencies like India = Rs. 3,39,995
and of course Japan= ¥460,000 (if I found it correctly)

9 years ago, the AUD:USD was 1.08 compared to 0.72 today so it would have been cheaper in Australia than the US at that exchange rate. Note that we do get a 5 year warranty in Australia so not apples-to-apples comparison.

Interestingly, Canon Japan offer a bundle with a 128GB Sandisk CFe card which is not approved for use for the higher video modes!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That's not how exchange rates work! Lots of different currencies using "$" with the official Canon price in:
New Zealand = $7,799
Hong Kong = $30,880
Let alone other currencies like India = Rs. 3,39,995
and of course Japan= ¥460,000 (if I found it correctly)

9 years ago, the AUD:USD was 1.08 compared to 0.72 today so it would have been cheaper in Australia than the US at that exchange rate. Note that we do get a 5 year warranty in Australia so not apples-to-apples comparison.

Interestingly, Canon Japan offer a bundle with a 128GB Sandisk CFe card which is not approved for use for the higher video modes!

My suggestion was tongue in cheek, but it does seem like for dollars, pounds and euros prices tend to look the same. Maybe not so much for cameras (Euro numbers will be higher). Yes, it falls apart as soon as you go to Indonesia or Hong Kong or Japan, or (unfortunately for you) Australia.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
From my experience with the R5, the R6 could literally be better than the A9 (marginally, aside for the $2000 price difference). The only thing that makes me think differently, is the sensor readout. Its slower than the R5 for some reason, even while sporting a lot of the same specs. I'd assume the lower line count would make it quicker than the R5, but there must be more to the calculation. While the slower readout is expected to be below that of the A9, I'm left wondering if anything else gets a similar performance drop off. Canon obviously cut corners to get the price down, but I still think it may be a match. But lets see if the specs hold up.

Maybe part of the reason the readout is slower, if this is actually the case, is because the data goes to SD cards, not CF Express. The buffer, etc seem tuned to work together phenomenally with the data flow.

Upvote 0
Well, now you are knocking down one of the few reasons I have to still pick up this camera :unsure:

It would be a second camera once I finally get my R5. I shoot mostly wildlife and birds so the extra megapixels would be welcome. I also do portrait work where this would be fine and I could invest the extra money in more glass. Ugh. Not really sure what to do. I just need to be sure that getting this camera now isn't just because I can't get an R5 at the moment!

Upvote 0