The Canon EOS R6 will begin shipping this week

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Horrific is the only way to describe it. 4400 for the R6. By the time you add an adapter and a couple of cards, nearly 5000. Screw the Aussie tax.

I think there is only 10% GST. It's the Canon Australia jacked up the RRP.

The 5D4 was under 5000 at released where I the R5 was 7100.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
hopefully we'll see prices drop very soon. The current retail price of the R6 here is €3000 (€1000 more than the 5DmkIV) while the R5 is €5000 (just slightly less than 1Dx mkII). As much as I see the RF system as having the brightest future and as good as these cameras may be, they aren't THAT good, or rather, they aren't THAT much better than an EF setup for my uses as an amateur.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
That's the exchange rate biting us - the Aussie GST is actually less than UK VAT!
Nah. Even with the exchange rate and gst combined it should be nowhere near 4400. That ia the 'Aussie tax' I am referring to. It is explained away with stories like a '5 year warranty' which in reality is not worth the paper it is written on and there would be a million ways it could be refused. A 12 month warranty is long enough to cover manufacturing defects.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
hopefully we'll see prices drop very soon. The current retail price of the R6 here is €3000 (€1000 more than the 5DmkIV) while the R5 is €5000 (just slightly less than 1Dx mkII). As much as I see the RF system as having the brightest future and as good as these cameras may be, they aren't THAT good, or rather, they aren't THAT much better than an EF setup for my uses as an amateur.
what would make it much better for you?

• Haha
Upvote 0
Nah. Even with the exchange rate and gst combined it should be nowhere near 4400. That ia the 'Aussie tax' I am referring to. It is explained away with stories like a '5 year warranty' which in reality is not worth the paper it is written on and there would be a million ways it could be refused. A 12 month warranty is long enough to cover manufacturing defects.
My experience with Canon warranty and repairs has been really good and they have gone above and beyond to help me out a few times. Even after the warranty had expired on my 5D mark IV they replaced one of the rotary dials free of charge as they found some corrosion (it wasn't turning as freely as it should). The 5 year warranty is very welcomed and is definitely one of the reasons I felt more comfortable buying the R5..

Having said all that, I agree that both R5 and R6 are over priced here... $1000 less for both would be much more reasonable

Upvote 0
Well, now you are knocking down one of the few reasons I have to still pick up this camera :unsure:

It would be a second camera once I finally get my R5. I shoot mostly wildlife and birds so the extra megapixels would be welcome. I also do portrait work where this would be fine and I could invest the extra money in more glass. Ugh. Not really sure what to do. I just need to be sure that getting this camera now isn't just because I can't get an R5 at the moment!

Hold up. The 1DXiii is not the R6 - The sensor may be the same but that doesn't mean it interprets as the same. I think the 1DXiii will be better due to everything around it connected to the sensor as from the DPreview test scenes the R6 lags ever so slightly behind the 1Dxiii.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
My experience with Canon warranty and repairs has been really good and they have gone above and beyond to help me out a few times. Even after the warranty had expired on my 5D mark IV they replaced one of the rotary dials free of charge as they found some corrosion (it wasn't turning as freely as it should). The 5 year warranty is very welcomed and is definitely one of the reasons I felt more comfortable buying the R5..

Having said all that, I agree that both R5 and R6 are over priced here... $1000 less for both would be much more reasonable
I would perfectly happy with 3700. I could understand that. Even 3800. As an Aussie I am used to being ripped off. We tend to accept is. But 4400 is just insulting. As much as i would love an R6(i have no doubt that they have made some great bits of kit) canon wont be seeing my money anytime soon. Not untill prices drop to a reasonable level.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

Wow... 5,000 Euro equals 8,200 Australian Dollar or 5,905 United States Dollar .. Just wow...

Upvote 0
Strip the currency symbols off the prices and not that much different from ours in the US. Which is why I think camera prices should just be quoted without currency signs. It doesn't seem to matter what currency you're using, you're going to end up paying mid 2000s for an R6 and upper 3000s for and R5.

Except I believe they are considerably more expensive in numeric terms in Europe. (And Oz is just...horrific.)
My R5 cost 5399.99 before tax (6101.98 after tax) here in Canada

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The grey importer is now showing the R5 and the RF+24-105 Kit as out of stock. The RF Kit was there this morning. I was so tempted but I'm also so wary of a high price grey import. The store price in Ireland is bananas at 4850 euros but ordering from german stores would be 4385 and the grey importer was 3999 euro. So not a huge saving... vs the risk of getting a problem sorted and possible difficulties.

(I notice for example you can get a A7R IV for 2400 with the same importer vs 4000 local - now thats a discount id risk a grey import on)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0