The New Canon PowerShot G7 X

Jul 20, 2010
AvTvM said:
Or otherwise use a 1" sensor and make the damn thing smaller, rather than waiting more than 2 years until they finally come up with a response to the Sony RX-100.

That is why I previously wrote Canon management is now eating crow:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0336328811/cp-2013-interview-with-canons-masaya-maeda

"...he ruled out the idea of a larger sensor camera along the lines of the Sony RX100 to offer more of an image quality distinction between smartphones and compact cameras. 'I think the market does exist but it wouldn't be very large. We think we have a good balancing point in terms of price, image quality and size. Lots of other combinations are possible, but, once you go below APS-C the next logical size is 1/2.3 inch', he says."

The RX100 series is a roaring success, the bestselling high end compact camera.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
AvTvM said:
Woody said:
AvTvM said:
well, no winner. too late. Should have come out with that thing 2 years ago instead of stupid Powershot S 100/110/120 and instead of also stupid G1 X/II

G1X II is not stupid. It is let down by poor sensor. It is incomprehensible how a small RX100 MK3 sensor can perform better.

Let us hope the G7X has a better sensor

The G1 X I and II are stupid. Because Canon did not stick the best APS-C sensor available at production time into them, but chose a weirdo 4:3 format sensor instead. Or otherwise use a 1" sensor and make the damn thing smaller, rather than waiting more than 2 years until they finally come up with a response to the Sony RX-100.

1. Avtv--you make some good points sometimes but you sound so angry!

2. I own the S95 and the M. What is terribly important to me is how responsive the new rig really is.

3. It really is neat to read some of the posts here--quite entertaining and sometimes educational, although not in the way that the posters intend.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
rt said:
neuroanatomist said:
If the G7 X has the S120 form factor, it will fit in a jeans pocket.
Yeah, has it? Compared to S120 -- the sensor is bigger, the lens it faster, the screen is articulated. As much as I'd like to believe the S series form factor and size -- is this possible?
If I can put the EOS-M with 22mm lens in my jacket pocket and even my dress pant pocket, I cannot see why the G7 X cannot be put in the same way.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
a viewfinder is one of the most valuable features on any camera to me (and others). Adding a good EVF also is significantly more costly than the difference between a touch LCD + user interface and a non-touch LCD.

As far as I am concerned, an EVF might be worth paying something extra. 250 would be a little high, compared to overall camera price. I'd imagine Canon can source those little EVF-screens for less than 50 from Epson or Sony ... depending on number of units ;D

Woody said:
powershot2012 said:
Anything more than $550 isn't worth the money. Better value on the RX100 II or III.

The RX100 M3 is selling for $800. While G7X has touch screen, the RX100 M3 has EVF. Is the EVF worth $250? Not to me.

Upvote 0
Woody said:
expatinasia said:
The video on this seems to be lacking as well, when compared to the Sony RX100 Mark III.

For Canon users, the main advantage to not buying Sony as a pocketable camera, is the menu system. I guess Canon uses a similar system on these smaller cameras as they do on their DSLRs?

There's also Canon colors. :)

But the G7X has a touch screen and Canon's touch screens are one of the best in the camera market right now. If the G7X has a responsive AF, it'll be a winning combination.

I believe the G7X can also do 1080p 60p just like RX100 M3, so I don't understand your comment that its video capabilities being lacking.

The Sony RX100 Mark III can also record video in XAVC S format at 50Mbit/s and up to 120fps in that system.

Tanispyre said:
I'm kinda mad I just bought a rx100. This looks much nicer.

Nicer in what way?! You do not even know the price yet, and the RX 100 iii has so much more things going for it. I presume you bought the Mark III if you have only just bought it?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Rocky said:
rt said:
neuroanatomist said:
If the G7 X has the S120 form factor, it will fit in a jeans pocket.
Yeah, has it? Compared to S120 -- the sensor is bigger, the lens it faster, the screen is articulated. As much as I'd like to believe the S series form factor and size -- is this possible?
If I can put the EOS-M with 22mm lens in my jacket pocket and even my dress pant pocket, I cannot see why the G7 X cannot be put in the same way.

That would work well...if I wore dress pants or a jacket on summer weekend outings with the family... ;)

Upvote 0
Khufu said:
I'm not a fan of these things being labled 1" Sensors... I hope everyone considering this thing is aware it's much smaller than an inch and only around 15.9mm measured diagonally!
Camera makers use the "non-standard" inch, where everthing is inflated 1.5x. The concept gets a surprising amount of real world use.

Upvote 0

rt

Aug 14, 2012
Khufu said:
I'm not a fan of these things being labled 1" Sensors... I hope everyone considering this thing is aware it's much smaller than an inch and only around 15.9mm measured diagonally!
I am not. What do you mean?
Khufu said:
Go buy an EOS M instead ;)
I'd love to, I need fast & reliable AF though, at least on par with 7D. Lacking this I think I'll stay with my trusty S90 :)

Upvote 0

rt

Aug 14, 2012
Overall, I think I am going to buy it, unless they seriously underdeliver on something...

I wonder about video performance (AF, can it chase my 2 year old daugther playing, not a huge challenge given the relative DOF) and whether this thing is able to control speedlites -- I'd love it, I usually have a few set up around the house at any given time but I don't always feel like grabbing the full DSLR setup, the ability to use a much smaller cam with that would be great. Not holding my breath though, knowing Canon...

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Hillsilly said:
Khufu said:
Camera makers use the "non-standard" inch, where everthing is inflated 1.5x. The concept gets a surprising amount of real world use.
That size system is a carry over from the vacuum tube image senser in the old days.

Upvote 0

LifeAfter

Photo is only 1 media to express among the others
Dec 1, 2011
Switzerland / Kosova
neuroanatomist said:
powershot2012 said:
Once again, too late to the game as the field has already changed. LX100 is the new authority...anything less than Four Thirds sensor, no thanks

If the G7 X has the S120 form factor, it will fit in a jeans pocket. Is that true of the LX100?

I don't know why you favor Canon over Sony, you're looking for an argument to make it a better camera!
Sony's not a perfect Camera (RX 100 III), and i am a Canon user, but BE objective and accept what is real.
Anyway we're just talking about something we just saw a picture.

"Fit in a jeans pocket" vs "small enough to store it + EVF + better DR + better ISO"

Actually we don't know anything about the DR and ISO, but knowing the current line of Canon DSLR's we don't expect much.

Upvote 0
Not sure, but I wouldn't care about stuffing a camera in my pocket. Given the smaller sensor, lack of EVF, lack of Hotshoe, lack of 4K, etc. I wouldn't know or care as the Four Thirds camera offers superior IQ.

neuroanatomist said:
powershot2012 said:
Once again, too late to the game as the field has already changed. LX100 is the new authority...anything less than Four Thirds sensor, no thanks

If the G7 X has the S120 form factor, it will fit in a jeans pocket. Is that true of the LX100?

Upvote 0
It's the Canon Me2 camera. LOL

Some innovation would have been asking to much I guess. Would take the RX100 III any day over a fake wanna be GwannaB X

expatinasia said:
Does seem to be aimed directly at the Sony RX100 family, but like many others beforehand I would have liked EVF.

Even Sony realised their mistake by selling the EVF as an extra on the Mark II only to incorporate one (very cleverly) into the Mark III.

The video on this seems to be lacking as well, when compared to the Sony RX100 Mark III.

For Canon users, the main advantage to not buying Sony as a pocketable camera, is the menu system. I guess Canon uses a similar system on these smaller cameras as they do on their DSLRs?

When it comes out I will definitely go and take a look, but I do not have the same expectations or excitement as I did when I first saw the RX100 Mark III.

I doubt Sony are worried, which is a shame. How long is it until the RX100 Mark IV comes out?!! ;-)

Upvote 0