The Nikon Z9 will be announced in November or December this year

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon Rumors is reporting that Nikon will be announcing their flagship mirrorless camera body in November or December of this year.
This looks to be above Canon’s upcoming EOS R3 in the marketplace, so the EOS R1 will be the likely competitor once Canon brings it to market late next year.
Nikon Rumors also has a bunch of rumored specifications for the upcoming camera.
Nikon Z9 Specifications (Rumored)

Newly developed high-resolution stacked FX sensor.
Integrated vertical grip handle
The Z9 is described as a D6 body combined with EOS R5 imaging, α9II AF, and blackout-free EVF...

Continue reading...

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I can't wait to get my 70-200 and 500 PF on this. I hope it feels nice and solid in the hand.

I have no doubts the Z9 will be a solid camera. Canon and Nikon knows what is good ergonomics when it comes to Cameras. The biggest factor will be how good the AF system is? I hope Nikon catches up with Sony and Canon in that aspect as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I have no doubts the Z9 will be a solid camera. Canon and Nikon knows what is good ergonomics when it comes to Cameras. The biggest factor will be how good the AF system is? I hope Nikon catches up with Sony and Canon in that aspect as well.
Nikon typically has been as good or better than Canon in DSLR AF, so given the time since their first mirrorless offering, I'm very optimistic that this camera's AF will be on the same level or better than Sony's a1 effort. It may "only" do 20fps, but if it's able to do so consistently without all the caveats required to get 30fps with the Sony, that will be more than satisfactory for me.

I'm a bit concerned about the size. I like the pro-integrated-grip body, but I don't want anything as big as the D6. It strikes me that Canon has hit the Goldilocks size with the R3. It's not too small and definitely not too big. If the Nikon is close, it could be a big winner.

Maybe this will encourage Canon to make a further announcement on the R3 sooner rather than later?
Hmm, consider most rumor sites think that Canon is almost ready to announce, a Nov-Dec release date provides little incentive to move up the Canon announcement. I suspect Canon will announce when the camera is ready and there is a sufficient supply regardless of what Nikon does.

Upvote 0
The Nikon 500mm, that is definitely a great lensI wish Canon would come out with a 500mm as well.
I hope they come out with a 600 PF next in Z mount. It's why i won't abandon Nikon, my D500 + 500 PF is a very good combo for birding and wildlife. I doubt we'll see any such lenses from Canon in next 2 years at least. Maybe the talk of the RF 500 f/4 being revolutionary in nsize and weight means it might be a DO, but it'll be 3.5x-4x the price of the Niukon 500 PF IMO

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
sounds like a wish list for a flagship camera! I hope that Nikon shooters see it come to fruition.
This is a teaser Nikon had posted in March and given it supports 8K video we can expect this camera to match Sony A1 in a more ergonomic body.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I am not missing shots with the AF on the Z6. And the human eye AF on the Z6 II FW 1.20 is on par with Canon. I would love animal detection, but can more than manage if it’s AF is still more like a glorified DSLR.

Upvote 0
it's somewhat interesting in that it indicates where the R1 is going to be. Surprised that it's "just" 20fps. 30fps may not make a huge difference in real life but when both the R3 and A1 do that and the A1 still offers 8K... As is stated, it looks like a D6 with the combined capabilities of the R5 and A9 while the competition moved beyond that. Hope it's a stellar camera, I really do, but I was expecting just a little bit more. Hopefully when it's released there will be a few nice surprises.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

it's somewhat interesting in that it indicates where the R1 is going to be. Surprised that it's "just" 20fps. 30fps may not make a huge difference in real life but when both the R3 and A1 do that and the A1 still offers 8K... As is stated, it looks like a D6 with the combined capabilities of the R5 and A9 while the competition moved beyond that. Hope it's a stellar camera, I really do, but I was expecting just a little bit more. Hopefully when it's released there will be a few nice surprises.

It depends what that 20 FPS is. 20 FPS mechanical and silent would put it above the A1 in my book and past the D6 and 1Dx3 it competes with. The A9 also is often 15 FPS or less depending on lens. It is well ahead of the R5 just by having a stacked sensor, unless they bugger up their processor big time the Z9 (And R3) will be night and day difference from the R5 when it comes to tracking stuff in the EVF and blackout free shooting. Nikon's main mountain to climb is really animal AF and car/bike AF. Apparently they have been working on a new object AF system, so perhaps they are training their AF to pick up all kinds of subjects. Maybe we'll see some of that in FW 2.0 for the mark ii cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It depends what that 20 FPS is. 20 FPS mechanical and silent would put it above the A1 in my book and past the D6 and 1Dx3 it competes with. The A9 also is often 15 FPS or less depending on lens. It is well ahead of the R5 just by having a stacked sensor, unless they bugger up their processor big time the Z9 (And R3) will be night and day difference from the R5 when it comes to tracking stuff in the EVF and blackout free shooting. Nikon's main mountain to climb is really animal AF and car/bike AF. Apparently they have been working on a new object AF system, so perhaps they are training their AF to pick up all kinds of subjects. Maybe we'll see some of that in FW 2.0 for the mark ii cameras.
I very much doubt if the Z9 and R3 will be night and day different from the R5 when it comes to tracking etc. Arbitrage who is as expert as they come when it's for tracking birds in flight etc, used the R5 extensively until the A1 came out and he has gone back to Sony, rates the A1 only slightly ahead of the R5. Have you gone out shooting with the R5?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I very much doubt if the Z9 and R3 will be night and day different from the R5 when it comes to tracking etc. Arbitrage who is as expert as they come when it's for tracking birds in flight etc, used the R5 extensively until the A1 came out and he has gone back to Sony, rates the A1 only slightly ahead of the R5. Have you gone out shooting with the R5?

I have tried the R5 aye and the R6 with an adapted 100-400. I have also tired a A9 (not A1) and the stacked sensor had a much faster refresh that felt more like a DSLR when it came to keeping up with the subject. I can get BIF with my Z6 too, I just adjust mentally how many ms behind the EVF is. I'll note to clear up confusion, I am not taking about the AF tracking keeping up with the subject, I am talking about the EVF keeping up and I feel the next 2-3 pro bodies will focus on having less and less EVF latency as a differentiator between them and the R5 level bodies.

Upvote 0