The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

Dec 25, 2017
For Canon to include 8K video in the R1, it would require at least a 45MP sensor. That would mean Canon would be reversing course on catering to sports photographers' preference of smaller file size for faster transfer to the agencies they work for. Getting the image to press first is higher priority than being able to crop deeply or print bus-sized images (at least up until now, anyway). Who knows, though -- Canon might have a trick or two up its sleeve for the R1.

The R1 is way outta my league anyway, so I'm glad I'm not waiting for it. Then again, it might be released by the time my R5 finally arrives! :p
If they include some Kind of S-Raw with half the Resolution this topic would be off the table ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- no 29:59 recording limit
- Clog3
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off) but faster read speed and less rolling shutter
- 16fps mechanical with full tracking, 20fps electronic.
- Significant but still limited 8K raw for burst 33mp raw (but don't call it that)
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/S-RAW) at full 16fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates. >0.5" in size
- full sized HDMI port
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. Won't be great for portrait recording but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though

All of this is basically available today and merges the 1D/R5 features. Main differences are electronic processing/firmware and sensor

Won't directly compete with cinema line due to form factor but there will be a similar specced cinema form factor with unlimited 8k raw option but vented. Cxxx option will be more expensive.
On the one hand, this sounds like a completely crazy wish list and on the other hand, it still sounds realistic. :-D
I am curious.
If the specs apply, the price will probably be even higher than before - maybe 8k usd...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
On the one hand, this sounds like a completely crazy wish list and on the other hand, it still sounds realistic. :-D
I am curious.
If the specs apply, the price will probably be even higher than before - maybe 8k usd...
There is only one hand and this list has no hand. This describes a video centric camera. They might make it mirrorless but they will not make it something other than what the 1 line was intended. I laughed out loud when I read those specs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Also, the processing speed and heat sink capacity needed to allow for the crazy frame rates and buffers in 1D stills cameras make massive video specs pretty easy.

100% will have 8k, and Id bet 4k120 is likely as well. Definitely gonna have RAW, etc as well.
Video will probably be 6K.
The high resolution of R5 makes an unlimited buffer on CFExpress not possible.
There would have to be a technical advancement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
This is why I did not consider the 1DX3. I knew this probably was a peak into the future mirrorless 1D body and Canon trying to get that last money grab for the 1D Dslr body.

They should name the new body EOS 1DR to distinguish it from the previous generation 1D camera, like they did going from the 1D4 to the 1DX.
Same here. I sold my EF 200-400 (weight more than migration to R5) and 1dx II prior to the R5 announcement based on the “mirrorless“ performance of the 1dx III (Jared P. review). I felt it showed where Canon was headed and what we could expect in an R5 and beyond. I received one of the first shipments of the R5 at the end of July and very happy with my decision. I was going to buy a second R5 for backup, but I may hold off until I have clarity on the pro + Canon. I don’t really need another high-end body until an Africa trip late 2021. My preference would be a body similar in size to an R5 + grip, although I am sure it would need to be a little larger.

Upvote 0
There is only one hand and this list has no hand. This describes a video centric camera. They might make it mirrorless but they will not make it something other than what the 1 line was intended. I laughed out loud when I read those specs.
The list is a hybrid between current 1DXiii specs and R5 specs.
It describes an excellent stills machine from R5 and improves on video capabilities from R5 (mostly thermal) with a new sensor.
Dual processors have been the case with 1DX ii and there is space for 2 processors in a 1D body
Dual Digic X would provide the horsepower for
- the oversampled video and
- 16fps downsampled 45->~20mp stills to meet the existing 1DX user base's requirements
IBIS for full frame is already in R5
9 megadot EVF from the A7Siii
Flippy screen already in R5... would mean a redesign of 1D body

Canon's engineers went completely out of (over!) the box with R5. If we saw the R5 spec list (even with thermal limits) 6 months ago, everyone would think we are crazy. It is amazing even now!
The 1DXiii specs are similarly great and would need to improve to have migration from 1DX users and R5 users. 1DX users don't need/want a smaller body and would accept the same weight but prefer less. Reducing the depth of the 1DXiii due to pentaprism and separate (heat generating) OVF metering sensor is a possibility but the space could be used for thermal dissipation as long as space around the lens is sufficient.
The biggest assumption on my part is the sensor being 8k (~45mp) with a faster readout for 16fps mechanical and less rolling shutter for 20fps and video. The rest is processing power, thermal management and battery life in a 1D body.

Why not! :)

Upvote 0
Video will probably be 6K.
The high resolution of R5 makes an unlimited buffer on CFExpress not possible.
There would have to be a technical advancement.
CFe card v1 specs has 2GB/s with PCIe lanes. Even with the current crop of type B cards, 8k raw can be recorded with the thermal limitation being the issue rather than throughput speeds ie 8k 30fps (albeit at 33mp pixel size). 45mp/20fps limitation is the internal bus and not the CFe cards especially with CFe v2 specs allowing 4 PCIe lanes ie 4Gb/s max speed

Upvote 0
Will actually be exciting news if it's not another lame 20MP sensor. Offer something in the 30-36MP range and price it at $5.5K and I'm in like Flynn.

Not sure why people think the EF glass is somehow a bad move on the RF. RF glass is much dearer, and EF glass still works a treat even the AF is excellent. Also on the pixel starved 1 series the RF glass would be a waste of money, EF L glass handled the 50MP 5DsR with ease. Current RF lens line up leaves a lot to be desired: either isnanely expensive and large or stupidly slow. Where are the all the f/1.8 pimes in the 20-50mm range, where's the macro, where's the 200-600 f/6.3. So glad I never sold my EF glass as other than the RF 24-70 f/2.8 nothing else tempts me at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
No quite. there is always a delay between the EVF and the lens. While optical view finder in the DSLR will have zero delsy. Therfore for action shot and BFI, DSLR is still the first choice before the mirrorless. One exception, Lieca M10 and similar. They still have a true opticel view finder.
The EVF lag in the Sony A9ll is all but imperceptible and the camera is wonderful for tracking BIF. The lag on this new Canon will likely be even less.
Mirror blackout of DSLRs makes tracking BIF much more difficult.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Also, the processing speed and heat sink capacity needed to allow for the crazy frame rates and buffers in 1D stills cameras make massive video specs pretty easy.

100% will have 8k, and Id bet 4k120 is likely as well. Definitely gonna have RAW, etc as well.
Well 50% larger body size and 2 Digic X processors writing to 2 cf express cards makes it a lot easier to manage heat

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
If you could afford it, then you would buy the next 1-series after a few years.

Plenty of working photographers still using the 1DX and 1DX2. Just because they make money doesn't mean they want to piss it away on upgrades.

They'll keep using those bodies until they finally fail or they get a really compelling trade-in offer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The biggest assumption on my part is the sensor being 8k (~45mp) with a faster readout for 16fps mechanical and less rolling shutter for 20fps and video. The rest is
  • 14 fps mech. shutter in 14 bit / 20 fps el. shutter in 12 bit (13?)
I couldn't find a post that pointed this out already. But:

The 1R won't get a downgrade in mechanical shutter performance. The 1DX III already manages 20 FPS mechanical, not just electronic.

Canon somehow managed to get a huge jump in performance for their most recent shutters (the 1DX III is fast, and both the R5 and R6 are way faster and way more durable than the 5D IV). Once the cost for the entire mirror assembly, extra AF and metering sensors and OVF are gone, that may free up resources to push the mechanical FPS past 20. Is that even a requirement? I don't know. Electronic should definitely exceed 20, if just to catch up with the M6 II (18 MP 30 FPS electronic crop mode). Yes, the 1 series isn't always the best jn everything. But the first 1 series should demonstrate what the technology allows for in comparison to DSLR in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I couldn't find a post that pointed this out already. But:

The 1R won't get a downgrade in mechanical shutter performance. The 1DX III already manages 20 FPS mechanical, not just electronic.

Canon somehow managed to get a huge jump in performance for their most recent shutters (the 1DX III is fast, and both the R5 and R6 are way faster and way more durable than the 5D IV). Once the cost for the entire mirror assembly, extra AF and metering sensors and OVF are gone, that may free up resources to push the mechanical FPS past 20. Is that even a requirement? I don't know. Electronic should definitely exceed 20, if just to catch up with the M6 II (18 MP 30 FPS electronic crop mode). Yes, the 1 series isn't always the best jn everything. But the first 1 series should demonstrate what the technology allows for in comparison to DSLR in my opinion.

I wonder if the R1 will hit 25fps in EFCS and use a more-than-20 MP sensor, or keep the 20-ish MP and have a global shutter.

Upvote 0